Hi,

First of all, specs:

i9 11900K

64GB DDR-4

Gigabyte RTX 3090 Vision OC

1 TB SSD

2TB HDD

PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200w

I'm thinking of adding another RTX using NVlink. Will my CPU bottleneck or should I get the new 12th gen i9's?

It'll be quite an investment, so I need to make sure if everything works out well in theory lol.

First, SLI is dead, so unless you do actual work on your computer that can leverage multiple GPUs, there is no point in running two. 

Second, in the like 2 games that still support SLI, you aren't super likely to run into a CPU bottleneck, but you're likely to run into other GPU issues, like really bad minimum FPS. 

Finally, SLI is dead. Just wanted to make sure you got that. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First, SLI is dead, so unless you do actual work on your computer that can leverage multiple GPUs, there is no point in running two. 

Second, in the like 2 games that still support SLI, you aren't super likely to run into a CPU bottleneck, but you're likely to run into other GPU issues, like really bad minimum FPS. 

Finally, SLI is dead. Just wanted to make sure you got that. 

SLI is dead, however, Nvidia has NVlink which is supported on the 3090. Games have to natively support in order to make use of it. 

Most of the utilization will be from mining. Better 2 than 1.

4 minutes ago, ialikw said:

SLI is dead, however, Nvidia has NVlink which is supported on the 3090. Games have to natively support in order to make use of it. 

Most of the utilization will be from mining. Better 2 than 1.

ETH mining will be done by June 2022. I feel like a lot of the value of 3090s will drop by then; the only reason they still hold so much is because of them not being LHR-locked, not because of their gaming performance or non-ETH mining performance.

It will be of little to no use for gaming, potentially even a negative use, in 99% of modern games. But if you're mining, and are paying a low enough price to be able to make back that cost by mining, go ahead.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

The CPU will not bottleneck but the only good use for a second 3090 is for work productivity not for gaming. So if you do 3D modeling or anything else like that than go for it but if it's for gaming don't bother 

42 minutes ago, ialikw said:

It has the NVlink connector, though the technology behind it is still called SLI. NVlink has other functionality like sharing VRAM that is disabled on the 3090. Only a handful of games have native support for it, and most of those games are either benchmarks or the support for it is bad. 

That said, if you're gonna be mining, it's not gonna matter. If you can get a 3090 for a good price to mine on, sure, but it's not gonna be for gaming. SLI is dead.