CPU fan not ramping up while under load

CallMeReign

Hi, I just bought this OEM PC second hand, and everything seems fine, until I stress test the CPU, the fan does not ramp up at all and it stays at 1000 RPM, it even displays the temperature wrong (9c in AMD Radeon Software and SpeedFan) even though it's actually 87c (HWMonitor), so I went to the BIOS and disabled smart fan and now it's running at 100% speed (4500 RPM) at all times, any help?

Specs:

Acer Veriton X4110G
AMD A8-7600B PRO
Cooler Master CM12V
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Spectre 2014)

Edited by CallMeReign
cooler name

Well if it is running at 87c, that's definitely why the fan is cranked all the way up. I feel like certain generations of AMD CPU's have a reputation for running hotter than they should or are even supposed to. Being to as that is a semi-older chip, you could try unmounting the cooler and swapping the thermal paste just to make sure that it isn't dry thermal paste, as thermal paste is a really inexpensive fix if that is the problem. 

55 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Well if it is running at 87c, that's definitely why the fan is cranked all the way up. I feel like certain generations of AMD CPU's have a reputation for running hotter than they should or are even supposed to. Being to as that is a semi-older chip, you could try unmounting the cooler and swapping the thermal paste just to make sure that it isn't dry thermal paste, as thermal paste is a really inexpensive fix if that is the problem. 

Nono like, when I turn off the smart fan, the temps are absolutely fine, 72c, but the problem is that it's running max speed AT ALL TIMES instead of according to the temps (like fans go slow when idle, and go fast when under load) and if I turn on smart fan, the fan is just idle even under load, and it displays inaccurate temps on pretty much every software except for HWMonitor

Edited by CallMeReign

25 minutes ago, CallMeReign said:

Nono like, when I turn off the smart fan, the temps are absolutely fine, 72c, but the problem is that it's running max speed AT ALL TIMES instead of according to the temps (like fans go slow when idle, and go fast when under load) and if I turn on smart fan, the fan is just idle even under load, and it displays inaccurate temps on pretty much every software except for HWMonitor

I had a system with an A10-7800P with R7 (M365DX) graphics and it ran at full speed nearly 100% of the time. Very inefficient chips, very reliable, but inefficient and require intense cooling. 

I've had that happen with the one acer laptop that I had, where the fans would just never kick on, it roasted itself, blew itself up and stopped working one day. Fatal system error, please return to manufacturer.

Did you updated your BIOS recently? I've had a bad BIOS that messed with my fans & had to revert to a prior BIOS.

Also does your SmartFan have profiles? I'm just thinking of my mobo (Gigabyte) that has SmartFan 5 which can either be used in 1 of 4 pre-set profiles that have mild to aggressive fan curves or I can manually set it to my own fan curve.

Can you set your own fan curves in the BIOS at all with SmartFan on or off?

39 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Did you updated your BIOS recently? I've had a bad BIOS that messed with my fans & had to revert to a prior BIOS.

Also does your SmartFan have profiles? I'm just thinking of my mobo (Gigabyte) that has SmartFan 5 which can either be used in 1 of 4 pre-set profiles that have mild to aggressive fan curves or I can manually set it to my own fan curve.

Can you set your own fan curves in the BIOS at all with SmartFan on or off?

Nope, though the BIOS is from 2019. No it doesn't have profiles nor fan curves, it's very OEM-like, just smart fan and that's it, nothing else

Have you tried FanControl instead and pairing the fan speeds with another sensor? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, CallMeReign said:

Ohhhh, I see. My bad

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried FanControl instead and pairing the fan speeds with another sensor? 

Is there supposed to be anything here? I even ran the "Assisted setup" multiple times, and nothing changed

image.png

image.png

Edited by CallMeReign

On 12/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, CallMeReign said:

Is there supposed to be anything here? I even ran the "Assisted setup" multiple times, and nothing changed

It seems like the motherboard isn't supported. 

On 12/14/2021 at 3:45 AM, CallMeReign said:

Tjmax is 71.3c so 72c is high. Have you tried replacing the thermal paste?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.