Audio Crackling when High Bass Audio Plays

rpalmz46

Hi,

I have a arctis 7 headset that is wireless and I am experiencing some distortion or like crackly vibratey audio for lack of a better word, when certain low or high pitched sounds play. For example I today am launching skyrim and the main menu noise as it boots up distorts and sounds crackly quite badly. As I actually play I hear it too when bassey sounds play. 

I have tried to troubleshoot this myself and I have found that if I plug the headset in directly to 3.5mm jack it doesn't make the sound. I have also tried disabling WIFI on my PC and trying every usb port and unplugging everything else besides it. For note my router to my house is in the same room as my PC so I don't know if thats causing problems or not.

I tried another headset on this PC with the same usb port and it doesn't make the noise either. Is this a hardware issue  with the headset or is there some fix I can do?

If anyone is able to help I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance. 

I may have figured out part of the issue if anyone ever looks at this and is wondering, the equalizer settings for my specific arctis 7 seem to cause the crackly noise on ANYTHING besides the flat preset. It seems to be the 180 eq that actually causes the crackling noise. Guess I just can't change my settings. 

23 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

I may have figured out part of the issue if anyone ever looks at this and is wondering, the equalizer settings for my specific arctis 7 seem to cause the crackly noise on ANYTHING besides the flat preset. It seems to be the 180 eq that actually causes the crackling noise. Guess I just can't change my settings. 

You could always tune channels down from 'flat'.

I've found this to happen on more of the less audio quality devices.

It sounds like the DAC on your PC's onboard is of much better quality then the DAC built in to your headphone/headset.

Which is not uncommon.

The solution i guess, use the onboard audio from your motherboard with the 3,5mm jack.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I'm not overly familiar with this but it sounds like clipping somewhere in the chain.  Like @HanZie82 said you can always tune by turning down instead of up then just turning the overall volume up.  If your headset has a wired option give that a try as Hanz said and see if it's something in the built in dac/amp that is running out of juice or perhaps a signal clip.  It could just be the driver's being pushed to hard which won't be solved by wired.  Basically, everything Hanz said sounds correct to me, just had to throw my $.02 in

* could always msg @Nimrodor he seams to be very intelligent in the audiophile world

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission