Newly built i5-12600k stopped booting, fans spinning at full speed randomly, but temps are OK

curious-parakeet
Go to solution Solved by curious-parakeet,

For anyone wondering, the latest F6d BIOS update did solve the issue. Had to wait for a minute, but seems to be working well, including the XMP.

Good evening!

So just finished this built yesterday https://pcpartpicker.com/user/staya/saved/93JvjX.

• i5-12600k
  • Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4
  • Noctua NH-D15
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 (CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W)
  • Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • x6 120mm fans
  • RTX 2060 6 GB

To be honest, this build became problematic right from the start. So a few issues with it:

• Fans speed on the first launch. When I just turned it on right after building it, the fans started spinning like crazy. I get it, it's a huge cooler, but cooler plus 6 fans spinning like I just turned on a vacuum does not sound normal for me? I thought maybe I messed up with the thermal paste. But BIOS showed temps 28—32°C, so I proceeded with the Windows 11 installation.
  • (solved) The installation didn't recognize the M2.SSD. Updating the BIOS to the latest version (F4b) helped.
  • XMP Profile doesn't allow to boot to the OS. In fact not even to BIOS. Tried turning that on, black screen, fans at max, nothing happens. Not even BIOS splash screen. After a few resets, it went through and offered to load defaults. Which helped.
  • Now crash system froze and crashed in Warzone.  Played a few hours while monitoring temps. Right at the moment of the crash, I noticed on the graph that the highest that entire time was 65°C. I also didn't even hear fans spinning that fast while playing. So after the crash, PC turned off, then turned on, but again same black screen, no BIOS, nothing. A few restarts, BIOS went through, again load defaults—I'm back to Windows.

But this is so weird. Temps are fine, fans are spinning like crazy either randomly within the system and always on system boot. And sudden freeze in the game? What could I mess up?

Also worth noting probably that I had to take out the GPU a few times (cooler is quite big), and the lock of the PCI slot is in a very unfortunate position. I could only push on it with something extremely thin (used a knife) and accidentally hit the motherboard with it. It doesn't look anything bad, nothing broke or anything, but there's a tiny-tiny scratch. Could this be the reason for my issues? See attached how it looks, tried to take the picture as close as I can.

Thank you!

IMAGE 2021-12-08 22:15:28.jpg

2 hours ago, curious-parakeet said:

• Fans speed on the first launch. When I just turned it on right after building it, the fans started spinning like crazy. I get it, it's a huge cooler, but cooler plus 6 fans spinning like I just turned on a vacuum does not sound normal for me? I thought maybe I messed up with the thermal paste. But BIOS showed temps 28—32°C, so I proceeded with the Windows 11 installation.

Did you check at what headers the fans are connected to and how this header is configured in the bios?

XMP Profile doesn't allow to boot to the OS. In fact not even to BIOS. Tried turning that on, black screen, fans at max, nothing happens. Not even BIOS splash

screen. After a few resets, it went through and offered to load defaults. Which helped.

Still a Problem? Maybe trying with one Stick first to check.

Now crash system froze and crashed in Warzone.  Played a few hours while monitoring temps. Right at the moment of the crash, I noticed on the graph that the highest that entire time was 65°C. I also didn't even hear fans spinning that fast while playing. So after the crash, PC turned off, then turned on, but again same black screen, no BIOS, nothing. A few restarts, BIOS went through, again load defaults—I'm back to Windows.

Did you check if the board does Ram-training while restarting? if its a ram issue, then it would correspod with the xmp issues.

Also worth noting probably that I had to take out the GPU a few times (cooler is quite big), and the lock of the PCI slot is in a very unfortunate position. I could only push on it with something extremely thin (used a knife) and accidentally hit the motherboard with it. It doesn't look anything bad, nothing broke or anything, but there's a tiny-tiny scratch. Could this be the reason for my issues? See attached how it looks, tried to take the picture as close as I can.

Scratch is difficult to spot. Do you see any open conductors?

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

Did you check at what headers the fans are connected to and how this header is configured in the bios?

Please see the attachment, I created a schema of how the fans are connected. I hope this makes sense! I was confused about how to connect 6th fan, but in the manual, if I understood it correctly, it says that SYS_FAN_6_PUMP is used either for water cooling or an additional air fan.

Still a Problem? Maybe trying with one Stick first to check.

Just tried inserting one stick into each slot, turning on the XMP on each—result is the same. Boot loop after restart, then offers to go back to defaults, etc. With XMP off 1 stick boots to Windows properly on all the slots.

Did you check if the board does Ram-training while restarting? if its a ram issue, then it would correspod with the xmp issues.

Sorry, I tried looking up, but couldn't find anything. How do I check if it does this? Is this something that can indicate a faulty memory?

Scratch is difficult to spot. Do you see any open conductors?

I don't see any copper, but the scratch seems to me right on the pathway (?) where the supposed wire is placed. Feel so bad about it! But uh, how did they design it so it's impossible to press on that button to release the GPU...

Thank you for all your answers!

CleanShot 2021-12-09 at 10.09.19@2x.png

IMG_6638.jpeg

After placing all the sticks back, now it's black screen (monitor signal light just idling), fans spinning loud, no BIOS or anything. After a minute or two it turns off and then turns back on, but doesn't look like it's able to boot even into BIOS.

Okay, so the monitor says "No signal from your DP device". The GPU fans aren't spinning though, but its lights are on 🤔

Never mind, apparently RAM sticks weren't fitted properly (although locked). It booted up again, but the fans and all other stuff remains the same.

Do you have any spareparts flying around? anything you can switch ? like another gpu or ram.

When there is the blackscreen you can see here, where to look for the debug leds:

Spoiler

1430149595_Screenshot2021-12-12155225.png.78fb7299df676cc855fe5b599f4bd707.png

On top, did you clear the cmos after the problems? or even considered updating the bios? since this is a fairly new platform, maybe an update can fix some issues.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

Okay, so I replaced the motherboard—completely new one. The issue with XMP persists. I tried swapping RAM with my old Corsair 8GB x2 2666 MHz while XMP is on—and no boot loop this time.

Old PC:

Works fine with the new memory under 2666 MHz with XMP on. Mobo does not support higher frequency though.

New PC (Z690 DDR4):
Works under 2133 MHz, but when turning on the XMP—goes into a boot loop. DRAM light is lit on the mobo. Connection is tight.

Faulty memory?

Edited by curious-parakeet
More detailed comparison of the memory.

Actually, seems like the memory I purchased (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory - White (CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W) is not on the list of the supported ones by the mobo. Could this be the reason? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AERO-G-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-memsup

• 3 months later...

For anyone wondering, the latest F6d BIOS update did solve the issue. Had to wait for a minute, but seems to be working well, including the XMP.