Slim Video Production driven laptops?

Hi I am in the market for a new laptop since the current one im using has been set ablaze (I have no idea how it was just in my backpack apparently not in sleep mode). Due to this it has given me reason to buy a new one that doesnt suck like the old one and doesnt crash everytime i click on davinci resolve. I prefer to have a slimmer model, but I would also like to have expandable RAM and storage. i know i cant have both but I am open to any suggestions given and will do some more research with recommendation given. Thanks in advance!

set ablaze? I guess your battery be RIP. hopefully all was okey. You could salvage some parts of it if needed.

Depends on what you are looking for, the new M1 from apple but in a fully apple ecosystem could do good for certain workloads.

Else you could get a good "gaming" laptop without the gaming nonsense. Like is this for recording, video editing or 3D programs (blender etc).

We might see some new stuff in a few months, depending on how things move. might not be worth the wait.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

set ablaze? I guess your battery be RIP. hopefully all was okey. You could salvage some parts of it if needed.

Depends on what you are looking for, the new M1 from apple but in a fully apple ecosystem could do good for certain workloads.

Else you could get a good "gaming" laptop without the gaming nonsense. Like is this for recording, video editing or 3D programs (blender etc).

the whole thing is toast. luckily my school issued devices werent in the bag at the time. just some notebooks and a calculator. the new one is going to be for video editing and 3d modeling for game design. I should add that I hate Apple with a passion.

I just bought a Dell g15 for a cheap mobile production unit.  I went with a 10500h and 3050ti, 1tb nvme 8gb single ram.  Cheap.  I ordered a second stick of ram for $36 CAD from crucial and am using external drives to supplement until I put another m.2 in it(it has 2 slots) up to 2tb HOWEVER, you need a special heatsink from dell(or make your own). 

It runs resolve!

Just note that the GPU dictates your io. Better gpu=better io. 

I hate dell but the price was unbeatable. 

7 hours ago, Heliian said:

I just bought a Dell g15 for a cheap mobile production unit.  I went with a 10500h and 3050ti, 1tb nvme 8gb single ram.  Cheap.  I ordered a second stick of ram for $36 CAD from crucial and am using external drives to supplement until I put another m.2 in it(it has 2 slots) up to 2tb HOWEVER, you need a special heatsink from dell(or make your own). 

It runs resolve!

Just note that the GPU dictates your io. Better gpu=better io. 

I hate dell but the price was unbeatable. 

What did you get it at? That might be the way to go if the price is any good.

21 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

We might see some new stuff in a few months, depending on how things move. might not be worth the wait.

would this be a good choice or way too expensive? i heard good thing about surface laptops but the price tends to scare me away compared to its parts

2 minutes ago, Heliian said:

$1100 CAD

that’s pretty reasonable for the current market. took a look at it and its a chonker. i might get it if i don’t find something a bit thinner. i don’t think my backpack will be able to fit it.

gamers i have discovered the holy grail of laptops. thank god framework exists. and i see linus fully endorses them. thank you both for helping me do some more digging.

Compared to hauling my desktop and monitor into the field it's slim.  I also need a full kb on my laptop, if you don't then I'm sure there's slimmer options.