3800XT Upgrade Worth It?

Currently running a 3800XT and debating if its worth upgrading to a 5600X or 5800X? I mostly game and re-encode Blu Rays using Handbrake. GPU is a 6800XT and I game at 3440x1440 so not sure if I'll see much of an improvement

9 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

Currently running a 3800XT and debating if its worth upgrading to a 5600X or 5800X? I mostly game and re-encode Blu Rays using Handbrake. GPU is a 6800XT and I game at 3440x1440 so not sure if I'll see much of an improvement

Maybe wait couple of months for a Zen 3D refresh?

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

do you feel like its restricting your gaming performance ? do you have a high refresh rate monitor

all this is important, but since you don't even know you probably won't feel the difference if you upgrade just wait for zen 4 since zen3 is a dead platform and not worth the upgrade

What games do you play? And at what settings? Unless you're trying to push hundreds upon hundreds of FPS, you probably won't notice any difference at all. And I definitely would not side-grade to a 5600X from a 3800XT.

Edited by YoungBlade

Mostly playing RPG's and WoW with some Forza. Currently on an Assassin's Creed marathon. Monitor is 144hz but not getting that kind of FPS in those games and probably never will.

7 hours ago, Nick980 said:

Mostly playing RPG's and WoW with some Forza. Currently on an Assassin's Creed marathon. Monitor is 144hz but not getting that kind of FPS in those games and probably never will.

You are more than likely GPU bound in most games so a new CPU might not give you much of an increase in performance. If you can wait a while to upgrade then wait. There’s always something newer and faster around the corner. If you can’t wait then a 5800x or 5900x are possible upgrades. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G