Recommendations for PCIe wireless networking cards?

Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
5 hours ago, stoicswe said:

So, do you have suggestions and/or recommendations for a PCIe wireless networking cards...

Almost anything based on Intel's AX200 or AX210 should be fine. Even if you don't have a WiFi 6/6e wireless router/AP, they seem to perform just well on WiFi 5 without that much of a cost increase.

...that would suite gaming?

That's up to you, but WiFi is generally not going to give you the best latency for games that depend on such (e.g. online FPS, etc.).

Hey LinusTech community. Just a newcomer into the forums (long time fan of Linus Techtips, just have not made a forum account until now), happy to be here and looking forward to maybe participating more in this cool space that Linus has helped establish. Anyways, looking for a recommendation. I am sure you peeps know some things about wireless cards. I want to purchase one for a friend. He got a gaming desktop, but it did not have wireless networking built into the motherboard, thus the req for a PCIe wireless card. I spent some time poking around on Newegg, but to no avail...I have not found one that particularly stood out in terms of specs. So, do you have suggestions and/or recommendations for a PCIe wireless networking cards that would suite gaming? Thanks a bunch for your time!

Any problem with the LAN port?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

So, do you have suggestions and/or recommendations for a PCIe wireless networking cards...

Almost anything based on Intel's AX200 or AX210 should be fine. Even if you don't have a WiFi 6/6e wireless router/AP, they seem to perform just well on WiFi 5 without that much of a cost increase.

...that would suite gaming?

That's up to you, but WiFi is generally not going to give you the best latency for games that depend on such (e.g. online FPS, etc.).

9 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that LAN is going to be a much better experience for gaming, however, the location of the router as compared to the computer itself is far enough that an ethernet cable running through the house is not feasible (and the router could not be relocated either). Generally the games that my friend would be playing wont be relying on super low latency. Again, thank you for the useful response.

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Any problem with the LAN port?

Thank you for the absolutely not useful suggestion. Though I agree that LAN would be a much better hardware application in this instance, the question I originally stated clearly does not include any reference to the inclusion of the LAN port as a potential solution. The reason for this is because either running an ethernet through my friends house or moving the router is not an option due to: 1. the router is too far away from the desktop computer and 2. the ethernet running through the house, again is not a feasible solution.