Dead pump?

About 6 months ago I bought the EKWB 260mm SPC pump/res combo or whatever the model number is. A few days ago my computer started making a rattling noise intermittenly, and my first thought was a dying fan bearing, but I couldn't confirm since by the time I took my headphones off and got the front cover off my case it would stop. Two nights ago it started making that noise and wouldn't stop. I was able to get the side panel off and realized it was the pump making that noise. I shut off the system and went to bed. 

Today I finally got around to draining the loop and taking the pump apart to see if there was anything that would cause it to rattle. There were no visible marks and it felt like all the tolerances were good, so I wiped it down to make sure there was no gunk in there, reassembled the loop and it's still there. For reference, here is a video of what it sounds like:

Now am I right in assuming that the pump is bad? Is there something else I can do to try and get it to not sound like that or should I just RMA the pump and borrow a D5 and a res from a friend to get it up and running in the time being. Any suggestions are welcome.

And yes, I know I should've bought a D5. I ordered these parts at 3 AM and my brain said "That's cheap, I like cheap, that pump is probably a D5 as well." I need to stop ordering computer parts at 3AM.

In case it matters:

5900X (Heatkiller IV)

X570 Taichi

3080 (EKWB Velocity)

Dual 360mm rads (one XSPC, the other has no branding on it that I got for cheap years ago)

EVGA Supernova 1300G2 (though some rosewill unit was used to test the pump, paperclip jumper and molex to fan adapter)

18 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

About 6 months ago I bought the EKWB 260mm SPC pump/res combo or whatever the model number is. A few days ago my computer started making a rattling noise intermittenly, and my first thought was a dying fan bearing, but I couldn't confirm since by the time I took my headphones off and got the front cover off my case it would stop. Two nights ago it started making that noise and wouldn't stop. I was able to get the side panel off and realized it was the pump making that noise. I shut off the system and went to bed. 

Today I finally got around to draining the loop and taking the pump apart to see if there was anything that would cause it to rattle. There were no visible marks and it felt like all the tolerances were good, so I wiped it down to make sure there was no gunk in there, reassembled the loop and it's still there. For reference, here is a video of what it sounds like:

Now am I right in assuming that the pump is bad? Is there something else I can do to try and get it to not sound like that or should I just RMA the pump and borrow a D5 and a res from a friend to get it up and running in the time being. Any suggestions are welcome.

And yes, I know I should've bought a D5. I ordered these parts at 3 AM and my brain said "That's cheap, I like cheap, that pump is probably a D5 as well." I need to stop ordering computer parts at 3AM.

In case it matters:

5900X (Heatkiller IV)

X570 Taichi

3080 (EKWB Velocity)

Dual 360mm rads (one XSPC, the other has no branding on it that I got for cheap years ago)

EVGA Supernova 1300G2 (though some rosewill unit was used to test the pump, paperclip jumper and molex to fan adapter)

Teardown and check the impeller if you want to fix it, but RMA/refund and getting a D5 would be the better solution.

7 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Teardown and check the impeller if you want to fix it, but RMA/refund and getting a D5 would be the better solution.

Yeah, I already tried tearing it down to see if there's any scratches or things that would cause the movement to be messed up, and didn't see anything that looked bad. I'll try taking it apart again tomorrow and posting pictures, but I just filed an RMA with EK since it doesn't seem like there was anything else I could try.

I mainly made this post to make sure that I'm not an idiot and was doing something blatantly wrong. 

I might also try disassembling one of the blocks to see if it got clogged somehow and the extra stress on the pump is what's causing the noise, but temps were fine up until I turned it off so I highly doubt that. 

Just now, BigBlackRat said:

Sounds like a plugged water block. See if you can easily blow air thru loop.

I'll give that a shot in the morning to see if that's the case. Don't exactly feel like draining the loop and trying to blow through it tonight (it's currently 10pm and I've been up since 6AM) and I'll give it a shot. Plus I've got a new SSD coming in tomorrow, so I'd have to disassemble the loop to get the GPU out anyway (the X570 Taichi requires you to remove the GPU and a heatsink off the entire board in order to add an M.2). 

I'll probably also disassemble one of the blocks to make sure it's not clogged. 

buy or borrow a d5 or ddc3.2 pump res combo, I'm not sure if ddc will fit into spc housing

sounds like the impeller is screwed up 

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

19 hours ago, BigBlackRat said:

Sounds like a plugged water block. See if you can easily blow air thru loop.

There was some resistance in the loop when trying to blow through it, but I more chock that up to some water still being in there and causing something like a trap. I filed an RMA with EK and they had me send them a video of the pump running outside the rest of the loop, in case you were wondering, it is a bad pump. I'll still probably disassemble all the blocks and clean them while the new one comes in though