Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dead GPU? Dead HDMI Port? Scaling issue? HELP!!!

Hello all,

 

My setup is pretty much brand new(i5-10400+ new 144hz msi monitor), excluding my trusty EVGA GTX 970. 

 

Please see video for description of problem. ~No issues at 60hz whatsoever~

This started first at just 144hz and now even switching to 119hz makes the PC unusable. If I remote access in from my phone, none of these artifacts are visible at all and I can use the pc normally no matter the refresh rate. 


I have attempted all the usual remedies: temps/load are not a problem, reseated GPU and untightened the CPU cooler. Cleaned all the ports. Tried 3 different HDMI cables, 2 DP cables and all the port combinations I could.

EDIT: Latest Geforce Experience drivers are installed.

I've recently been experimenting with resolution scaling through NVIDIA control panel for CSGO but I can't imagine that's the problem. 

 

 

Is the 970 toast? Defective monitor? Would appreciate any help 🙏🙏🙏

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it’s a 10400 not a 10400f so you’ve got a spare gpu you can test the monitor with… not a really good one, but it will work.  Use the iGPU in your cpu.  Plug the monitor into your motherboard.  If it works fine it’s the video card or some instruction the card is being given.  If it doesn’t it’s something else.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well it’s a 10400 not a 10400f so you’ve got a spare gpu you can test the monitor with… not a really good one, but it will work.  Use the iGPU in your cpu.  Plug the monitor into your motherboard.  If it works fine it’s the video card or some instruction the card is being given.  If it doesn’t it’s something else.

apologies it is a 10400f indeed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to confirm 60fps no issue whatsoever means everything works fine at 60fps?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Just to confirm 60fps no issue whatsoever means everything works fine at 60fps?

Thats correct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Buick123 said:

Thats correct

Then you don’t have a hardware issue.  At least not a “something is broken” one.  This is probably a settings issue unless the monitor itself is only capable of 60fps.  If that’s the case you’re locked unless you get a different monitor.  Might also be whatever you are running can’t make more frames than 60fps anyway, in which case itt doesn’t matter for that app. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Then you don’t have a hardware issue.  At least not a “something is broken” one.  This is probably a settings issue unless the monitor itself is only capable of 60fps.  If that’s the case you’re locked unless you get a different monitor.  Might also be whatever you are running can’t make more frames than 60fps anyway, in which case itt doesn’t matter for that app. 

Appreciate the advice! This glitching happens as soon as I switch refresh rates in windows settings. I have the latest drivers but a pretty old GPU, could this be causing a problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Buick123 said:

Appreciate the advice! This glitching happens as soon as I switch refresh rates in windows settings. I have the latest drivers but a pretty old GPU, could this be causing a problem?

Ther are other things to try first.  Bunch of things that might be wrong.  Don’t jump the the most horrible most expensive possibility just because it is the most expensive and horrible. All of the other stuff needs to be checked and ruled out first.  That the card works fine at 60hz makes this very unlikely.   There are bunches of other things that are more likely.

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ther are other things to try first.  Bunch of things that might be wrong.  Don’t jump the the most horrible most expensive possibility just because it is the most expensive and horrible. All of the other stuff needs to be checked and ruled out first.  That the card works fine at 60hz makes this very unlikely.   There are bunches of other things that are more likely.

What would you recommend I try?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Buick123 said:

What would you recommend I try?

All of em?  The conventional wisdom is start with which is cheapest, easiest to and fastest for your situation and move toward greater and greater suckage on the grounds that if you do something expensive and it doesn’t work, then you do something simple and it does there’s less kicking yourself. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Newegg

×