Intel build in 2021?

Budget (including currency): ~500 (almost all used parts)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (DOOM Eternal, Rocket League, Minecraft RTX, maybe heavier in the future)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Existing parts:

Case: NZXT H440 

HDD: 2TB tadashi or smth

Bought:

Important stuff first:

COOLER: Hyper 212 RGB (needs a 12V header)

FAN: Corsair 140mm RGB fan (needs 5V, got a hub that converts the CorsaiRGB to normal ARGB)

PSU: Corsair CX550 

SSD: Crucial BX500 

Monitor: Samsung 144Hz 1440p VA, can be achieved through the HDMI and DP inputs, i think it's LC27JG52QQUXEN 

Planned:

CPU: i5-9600KF

MBD: ROG STRIX Z390e gaming (2xRGB12V 1xARGB5V) (sold with CPU as combo on Dutch eq. of eBay, bidding starts at €160, =$181)

Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB 3200

M.2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB 3200 MB/s (new, on sale for €81, =$91)

Now, GPU..

RTX 2060, on the second hand market it's about it's original MSRP and still a respectable GPU for gaming, I think, and heard. If by some miracle prices get normal I'll go RTX 3060 (non-Ti) i want an RTX card mainly for Minecraft with ray tracing cause.. well this is the LTT forum do I have to defend myself for spending hundreds for a niche gaming experience? 🙂

I know it'll give me 30-40 fps, but 60 with Upscaling (DLSS) turned on right?

https://youtu.be/eLmiwn71_6o

I was feverishly searching for a Ryzen 3600 and an accompanying motherboard, but then the ad for a 9600KF with a solid motherboard included went up, I looked it up, and that CPU is.. better then the 3600? But then why is AMD known as the value king, I thought to myself, which is why I'm putting it up on here, in case I missed something.

I'm aware it has PCIe 4.0, but I feel like that's kind of a gimmick given the rest of my planned components? And even if I end up buying an RTX 3060 in the future, it shouldn't hold me back that much:

Maybe it'll give me faster boot times when paired with a PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD, but like.. I can wait 5 seconds more for my PC to boot. 

Like I said, I might be missing something, which is why I'm posting. Thanks a lot in advance! 

30 minutes ago, N4rwhale21 said:

Budget (including currency): ~500 (almost all used parts)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (DOOM Eternal, Rocket League, Minecraft RTX, maybe heavier in the future)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Existing parts:

Case: NZXT H440 

HDD: 2TB tadashi or smth

Bought:

Important stuff first:

COOLER: Hyper 212 RGB (needs a 12V header)

FAN: Corsair 140mm RGB fan (needs 5V, got a hub that converts the CorsaiRGB to normal ARGB)

PSU: Corsair CX550 

SSD: Crucial BX500 

Monitor: Samsung 144Hz 1440p VA, can be achieved through the HDMI and DP inputs, i think it's LC27JG52QQUXEN 

Planned:

MBD: ROG STRIX Z390e gaming (2xRGB12V 1xARGB5V) (sold with CPU as combo on Dutch eq. of eBay, bidding starts at €160, =$181)

Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB 3200

M.2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB 3200 MB/s (new, on sale for €81, =$91)

Now, GPU..

RTX 2060, on the second hand market it's about it's original MSRP and still a respectable GPU for gaming, I think, and heard. If by some miracle prices get normal I'll go RTX 3060 (non-Ti) i want an RTX card mainly for Minecraft with ray tracing cause.. well this is the LTT forum do I have to defend myself for spending hundreds for a niche gaming experience? 🙂

I know it'll give me 30-40 fps, but 60 with Upscaling (DLSS) turned on right?

https://youtu.be/eLmiwn71_6o

I was feverishly searching for a Ryzen 3600 and an accompanying motherboard, but then the ad for a 9600KF with a solid motherboard included went up, I looked it up, and that CPU is.. better then the 3600? But then why is AMD known as the value king, I thought to myself, which is why I'm putting it up on here, in case I missed something.

I'm aware it has PCIe 4.0, but I feel like that's kind of a gimmick given the rest of my planned components? And even if I end up buying an RTX 3060 in the future, it shouldn't hold me back that much:

Maybe it'll give me faster boot times when paired with a PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD, but like.. I can wait 5 seconds more for my PC to boot. 

Like I said, I might be missing something, which is why I'm posting. Thanks a lot in advance! 

excellent planning

i am agree of all

1 hour ago, N4rwhale21 said:

But then why is AMD known as the value king

You're comparing the 3600 to a CPU two years older than it. Ryzen was the value option up to the 3000 series. However, that's value against current gen options. Ryzen's success put downward price pressure on a number of Intel products, and especially once 5000 series Ryzen processors came out, Intel is actually usually cheaper now.

That said, it's not always an apples to apples comparison. Zen 3 was the first time Ryzen actually stole the gaming crown from Intel. Before that, Intel CPUs were actually better for gaming in most cases. However, if you do anything other than gaming with your PC, then the math starts to change significantly. Ryzen is generally much better at productivity applications, and that would be the case with the 3600 vs 9600KF you're looking at. Outside of gaming, the 3600 will stomp it in the dust.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

value of king because not need high end motherboard + low tdp (save electric bill) + can pair with mid-high end vga card

thats what i got from surfed last time

3 hours ago, N4rwhale21 said:

Why should you buy a 3 generations old platform? And never buy a CPU without HT for gaming. It's the first thing you have to upgrade.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Chris Pratt said:

You're comparing the 3600 to a CPU two years older than it. Ryzen was the value option up to the 3000 series. However, that's value against current gen options. Ryzen's success put downward price pressure on a number of Intel products, and especially once 5000 series Ryzen processors came out, Intel is actually usually cheaper now.

That said, it's not always an apples to apples comparison. Zen 3 was the first time Ryzen actually stole the gaming crown from Intel. Before that, Intel CPUs were actually better for gaming in most cases. However, if you do anything other than gaming with your PC, then the math starts to change significantly. Ryzen is generally much better at productivity applications, and that would be the case with the 3600 vs 9600KF you're looking at. Outside of gaming, the 3600 will stomp it in the dust.

Got it, thanks a lot! 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, --SID-- said:

Why should you buy a 3 generations old platform? And never buy a CPU without HT for gaming. It's the first thing you have to upgrade.

I "should" buy an old platform because I'm a poor student and I'm buying everything second handed 🙂Besides, the parts are still good to play games for the following years at mid, maybe low in the far future, settings, which is all I need right, so that makes second hand a much better value then new (er) stuff, why spend maybe double for a couple frames extra?

On 12/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, --SID-- said:

And on the HT, I guess you mean hyperthreading; I'm basing the "10% better" on userbenchmark bench as well as efps numbers, so apparently it doesn't help the 3600 in the real world right 

On 12/4/2021 at 7:31 AM, ahmad13610 said:

value of king because not need high end motherboard + low tdp (save electric bill) + can pair with mid-high end vga card

thats what i got from surfed last time

TDP doesn't save on your electric bill.  The idle load of Alder Lake is generally lower than that of current gen Ryzen, and for most workloads it's about the same as Ryzen - it just has high power modes available if you need the performance.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:42 AM, --SID-- said:

Why should you buy a 3 generations old platform?

Well, if you're buying Zen 3, you sort of are doing the same thing right now.  Ignoring performance for a minute here, Ryzen is about 2 generations behind Intel in ISA and feature improvements, with Zen 2 and 3 both sitting with Intel 8th generation (more or less, it's not a real apples to apples).

That said, I think the 9th gen is a dumb one to buy into - either 8th, or 11th/12th gen are the sweet spots.  9th Gen Intel doesn't have much improvement over 8th Gen except in price, but 11th Gen really does (in terms of things like VBS and the onboard GPU and the like), and of course 12th gen is big.BIGGER.

39 minutes ago, jec6613 said:

9th Gen Intel doesn't have much improvement over 8th Gen except in price

And that happens to be my main focus lmao, besides, I understand your point, but the deal I'm bidding on that's close to me, by someone who can be trusted, components that have been recently tested etc., that deal is for a 9600k, so that's what I'm able to buy right now.

Thanks you so much for your contribution on Zen 2 vs 8th gen Intel!