Random settings.json on my desktop

HeyCrest
Go to solution Solved by NinJake,
Just now, HeyCrest said:

I will try that. Although it appears every 8-10 hours, so it may not reappear immediately. I will update you tomorrow.

After a few searches on the interwebs, it almost certainly looks to be Teams related.

If anything, I'd uninstall and make sure it gets installed into its own dedicated location if possible to keep the settings within it's own "teams folder" so to speak.

Otherwise if Teams isn't really needed you can always just uninstall it and call it a day 馃檪

Hi,

Recently I noticed a file called settings.json on my desktop. 0 bytes and blank. I'm not sure how it got there/what program created it. I deleted it. About 8 hours later, it reappeared. I deleted it again. And it keeps re-appearing. I can't figure out what program is creating this file, or its origins. How can I find it out?

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Have you installed any new software recently?

Only Microsoft Teams. ~24 hours before this file started appearing. But I have had Teams before too and it never happened back then.

Is this your own computer? Or is it possibly a work PC that is connected to a domain / active directory?

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Is this your own computer? Or is it possibly a work PC that is connected to a domain / active directory?

Personal computer owned by me. The Teams credentials are also my personal outlook account, not a work login.

Right click your task bar at an empty space. A few options up is "task manager", navigate there and then click the button "more details" if you don't see any tabs up top.

Once you see the different tabs, go to the "startup" tab. Look for Microsoft teams and disable it upon startup. You can also take this time to disable any other unnecessary apps from loading every time you restart your PC.

After teams is disabled on startup, delete the settings.json and restart your pc, see if it reappears afterwards.

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Right click your task bar at an empty space. A few options up is "task manager", navigate there and then click the button "more details" if you don't see any tabs up top.

Once you see the different tabs, go to the "startup" tab. Look for Microsoft teams and disable it upon startup. You can also take this time to disable any other unnecessary apps from loading every time you restart your PC.

After teams is disabled on startup, delete the settings.json and restart your pc, see if it reappears afterwards.

I will try that. Although it appears every 8-10 hours, so it may not reappear immediately. I will update you tomorrow.

Just now, HeyCrest said:

After a few searches on the interwebs, it almost certainly looks to be Teams related.

If anything, I'd uninstall and make sure it gets installed into its own dedicated location if possible to keep the settings within it's own "teams folder" so to speak.

Otherwise if Teams isn't really needed you can always just uninstall it and call it a day 馃檪

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Thank you! I did try searching on my own before posting here but didn't come across anything. I have installed Teams on its default settings including location so I'm not sure why its behaving this way. I only need it for 1 week anyways, after that I will uninstall it. Thank you so much. I have marked your response as a solution.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, currently experiencing this right now but without teams installed.

I'm suspecting Windows Terminal because they have settings.json file but I am certain that I did not set my desktop as saved directory.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:15 AM, botjaeger said:

Hello, currently experiencing this right now but without teams installed.

I'm suspecting Windows Terminal because they have settings.json file but I am certain that I did not set my desktop as saved directory.

Interesting. Unfortunately, I do not have any clue as my issue was related to Teams. I recommend starting your own thread, that way its shown to all the community members and someone may be able to help you out. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's from valorant, it's happen always when i start valorant

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, Schrivalup said:

I think it's from valorant, it's happen always when i start valorant

Yup, it's VALORENT, happens with me too.聽

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, Jerko said:

@TheTwistedNosed聽did you found solution?

i guess the solution is just to cut the settings.json file to valorant files