Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Really slow download.

Billnyepp

Go to solution Solved by The_russian,

Bytes vs bits. Speedtest shows the download/upload in megabits (Mbps, notice the lowercase ‘b’), while whatever is being downloaded in the first screenshot is showing in kilobytes (KB/S, notice the uppercase ‘B’).
1 byte equals 8 bits, so 4.11 Mb/sec equals around .51 MB/sec or 510 KB/sec, close to what your download is showing.

I have had my pc for 3-4 months now. during that time i had noticed that the download speeds have not matched up with my internet speeds. 

lol.PNG.f2e93c7656baa961b8d37ac8fb97d743.PNG

lolol.PNG.f2473e450de69064112a1baa2ac19d56.PNG

I am running windows 10, i am using WIFI as a i do not have access to ethernet. 

Specs

-B-450M-ATX

-Ryzen 5 3600X

-GTX 1660 Super

-500Gb storage, haven't measured the speeds but i know my SSD is not the limiting factor. 

-> Moved to Networking

Have you tested speeds on other devices to determine whether issue is with your desktop, your router or just the ISP.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Bytes vs bits. Speedtest shows the download/upload in megabits (Mbps, notice the lowercase ‘b’), while whatever is being downloaded in the first screenshot is showing in kilobytes (KB/S, notice the uppercase ‘B’).
1 byte equals 8 bits, so 4.11 Mb/sec equals around .51 MB/sec or 510 KB/sec, close to what your download is showing.

21 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Networking

Have you tested speeds on other devices to determine whether issue is with your desktop, your router or just the ISP.

I usually get upwards of 40Mbs on my Xbox 1 S. It is also through WIFI and set up in the same room.

21 hours ago, The_russian said:

Hmm okay. So what your saying is that my speed is fine. The displayed speed on my pc compared to my Xbox varies greatly. I've got it mounted off the ground with WIFI antennae mounted. Any thoughts?

21 hours ago, rrats said:

Server speed =! Internet speed

I have also see terrible speeds for steam, despite me personally seeing speeds well over a Gigabit a second. 

25 minutes ago, Billnyepp said:

I usually get upwards of 40Mbs on my Xbox 1 S. It is also through WIFI and set up in the same room.

That's more about difference in units. What's the advertised maximum?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That's more about difference in units. What's the advertised maximum?

Advertised maximum on my Xbox capabilities or do you mean my modem?

1 hour ago, Billnyepp said:

Advertised maximum on my Xbox capabilities or do you mean my modem?

Your plan from ISP. So far all your devices are at same speed, so there's nothing wrong in any of them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv