New Build Latency Issue

Forest_IV

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200Mhz

GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Hello everyone,

I recently made a similar post about a latency issue experienced on the new build (LatencyMon usually shows nvidia kernel, directx kernel and sometimes other drivers having extreme latency). It causes mouse stuttering, visual processing lagging and audio stuttering.

In comparison to my last post, I returned the previous motherboard, thinking that it was the problem.

However, it seems that the motherboard is not an issue. Tried an identical CPU from a friend who never had this problem - same issue.

GPU works perfectly fine on the system I'm writing from (FX-8350 + MSI 970 Gaming).

I've tried around 40 different hypotheses (I can provide a list of everything), but nothing seems to solve the latency issue.

Please, if I can provide anything in terms of testing for you to assist me, I will do so.

Thank you in advance!

Try

Bios update

Fresh windows install

Are you using an ssd?

What model ram and what frequency, timings, and voltage do you have your kit set to?

1. Tried Bios updates and tried fresh windows installs over 5 times - no changes.

2. Using an NVMe SSD - Samsung 128Gb.

3. Model of ram was noted in the first message, frequency too (G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200Mhz)

4. Timings: 16-18-18-38 @1.35V as indicated on the XMP profile - tried with and without the XMP profile, tried default timings and default frequency, tried manually entering voltage, frequency and timings.

None of these solved the issue, but for the sake of experimentation, I will update bios and reinstall windows once again.

1 hour ago, Forest_IV said:

1. Tried Bios updates and tried fresh windows installs over 5 times - no changes.

2. Using an NVMe SSD - Samsung 128Gb.

3. Model of ram was noted in the first message, frequency too (G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200Mhz)

4. Timings: 16-18-18-38 @1.35V as indicated on the XMP profile - tried with and without the XMP profile, tried default timings and default frequency, tried manually entering voltage, frequency and timings.

None of these solved the issue, but for the sake of experimentation, I will update bios and reinstall windows once again.

Make sure to do a clean install with a newly made USB boot drive

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Make sure to do a clean install with a newly made USB boot drive

1. Updated to latest BIOS.

2. Fresh Win10 install via USB.

No stutter, only after installing Nvidia drivers... If I use the default Microsoft graphics driver, no problem.

Anyone know how to fix the driver issue?

1 hour ago, Forest_IV said:

No stutter, only after installing Nvidia drivers... If I use the default Microsoft graphics driver, no problem.

You could try an older driver version. I'd also recommend using ddu to uninstall your gpu driver.

You could also just run with defualt windows driver

25 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

You could try an older driver version. I'd also recommend using ddu to uninstall your gpu driver.

You could also just run with defualt windows driver

I'm sorry, but all of your suggestions have been tried over 5 times. No positive result.

Running a 1050 Ti on microsoft drivers is a waste of GPU - it's not detected and non-functional with that driver.

You have to understand the problem... Latency issues with specific drivers shown on LatencyMon - dxgkrnl.sys, storport.sys, nvidia kernel, etc...

3 hours ago, Forest_IV said:

I'm sorry, but all of your suggestions have been tried over 5 times. No positive result.

Running a 1050 Ti on microsoft drivers is a waste of GPU - it's not detected and non-functional with that driver.

You have to understand the problem... Latency issues with specific drivers shown on LatencyMon - dxgkrnl.sys, storport.sys, nvidia kernel, etc...

First of this sounds like a positive quote

4 hours ago, Forest_IV said:

Second it's apparent that you don't know that windows automatically push out drivers and driver update from said manufacturer based on hardware detection. So if it detects amd it will push out amd drivers. If it see nvidia it will push out nvidia driver. Sometimes they are not the vary latest as stability is a greater concern. The biggest difference is the features that you get from a direct download 

14 hours ago, narrdarr said:

First of this sounds like a positive quote

Second it's apparent that you don't know that windows automatically push out drivers and driver update from said manufacturer based on hardware detection. So if it detects amd it will push out amd drivers. If it see nvidia it will push out nvidia driver. Sometimes they are not the vary latest as stability is a greater concern. The biggest difference is the features that you get from a direct download 

Pardon if my last message was not as positive as it should've been.

Just to respond on your second point - I am aware that windows pushes the drivers. Disabling automatic driver install and manually installing drivers does not aid. Letting Windows install old Nvidia drivers on default results in the same latency issue.

No positive results.

P.S.

Check this out: 

Made a thread on reddit, some people have entirely different hardware configurations for their systems - exactly the same latency issue.

Have you tried completely removing all Nvidia release files then letting Windows do a default GPU driver installation? If so does the latency issue remain?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, brob said:

Have you tried completely removing all Nvidia release files then letting Windows do a default GPU driver installation? If so does the latency issue remain?

Yes, if windows downloads the nvidia drivers automatically - stutter.

If I go with a very basic graphical driver (Microsoft Graphics) then I have no stutters, BUT leaves the GPU non functional and undetected.

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Have you tried a different kit of ram? First gen ryzen cpu doesn't always play nice with all types of ram. 

I haven't but it's on my list of testing. A friend is going to come next week to test a different set of RAM.

Anything else I should think about doing?

1. Different RAM.

2. Different GPU (?)

5 hours ago, Forest_IV said:

Yes, if windows downloads the nvidia drivers automatically - stutter.

If I go with a very basic graphical driver (Microsoft Graphics) then I have no stutters, BUT leaves the GPU non functional and undetected.

I haven't but it's on my list of testing. A friend is going to come next week to test a different set of RAM.

Anything else I should think about doing?

1. Different RAM.

2. Different GPU (?)

A different gpu is definitely worth investigating.  If it is the gpu  I would say that's ok as a gtx 1050 ti underwhelming anyways. 

9 hours ago, narrdarr said:

A different gpu is definitely worth investigating.  If it is the gpu  I would say that's ok as a gtx 1050 ti underwhelming anyways. 

I will do so.

However, for me personally a GTX 1050 Ti is not underwhelming, when most of my life I had to deal with a 1Gb VRAM GPU.

Thank you for the tips. Will update post after my tests..