RTX 3060 overclocking

Hi all, I am looking for some help overclocking my MSI RTX 3060 x2 oc ventus 12gb, what program is best to use and can someone provide steps to overclock 

with current availability.. just don't ...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

51 minutes ago, jetsonxr6 said:

Hi all, I am looking for some help overclocking my MSI RTX 3060 x2 oc ventus 12gb, what program is best to use and can someone provide steps to overclock 

Your expectations may be a large factor in this, too - if you're looking to bridge a gap that would otherwise require "the next card up", you may be (sorely) disappointed.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

I prefer using MSI Afterburner, and you basically just increase the Core Clock MHz offset to overclock.

Start by downloading (and installing) MSI Afterburner, Unigine Heaven and fx HWiNFO. 

Then;

Start Heaven, and let it run to have a load on your GPU

Star HWiNFO, and monitor GPU temps and clock speeds

Start Afterburner, and begin to increase Core Clock, with +15 increments - and do this until Heaven crashes

When Heaven crashes, dile it back 15/30 MHz. 

Now, if you wanna push it further, consider increasing the Power Limit in Afterburner. This lets your card pull more power than stock, enabling it to clock higher before crashing. Also, as you can see, by default the Power Limit and Temps limit is linked, because increasing the power, will of course increase the temps. 

So you have to allow higher temps with more power. You might wanna increase fan speeds aswell, maybe do a custom fan curve. 

If you want something easier to follow, I would suggest looking up JayzTwoCents overclocking videos 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

5 hours ago, Eighjan said:

Your expectations may be a large factor in this, too - if you're looking to bridge a gap that would otherwise require "the next card up", you may be (sorely) disappointed.

No not at all, a gain of 5 fps on all games@ Max settings would be great

5 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

I prefer using MSI Afterburner, and you basically just increase the Core Clock MHz offset to overclock.

Start by downloading (and installing) MSI Afterburner, Unigine Heaven and fx HWiNFO. 

Then;

Start Afterburner, and begin to increase Core Clock, with +15 increments - and do this until Heaven crashes

Now, if you wanna push it further, consider increasing the Power Limit in Afterburner. This lets your card pull more power than stock, enabling it to clock higher before crashing. Also, as you can see, by default the Power Limit and Temps limit is linked, because increasing the power, will of course increase the temps. 

So you have to allow higher temps with more power. You might wanna increase fan speeds aswell, maybe do a custom fan curve. 

If you want something easier to follow, I would suggest looking up JayzTwoCents overclocking videos 🙂

I understand all your advice and I will do exactly what you have stated, I do have 1 question about gpu memory clock, do I leave that at its nominal value?

1 hour ago, jetsonxr6 said:

I understand all your advice and I will do exactly what you have stated, I do have 1 question about gpu memory clock, do I leave that at its nominal value?

No, when you have found a stable Core OC, then start tweaking the memory 🙂 I'd push it with +50MHz increments, and do this while Heaven in running and so on, just like with Core OC. When you start to see artifacts, then you know you're pushing it too far. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

@jetsonxr6

Oh also, just because a overclock is stable in Heaven, that does not mean that it is actually stable. Some random video game might crash because that specific video games puts a specific load on the GPU. 

So when you find a stable OC in Heaven, go back 30MHz - this will make it more certain to be actually stable in all games. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

5 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

@jetsonxr6

Oh also, just because a overclock is stable in Heaven, that does not mean that it is actually stable. Some random video game might crash because that specific video games puts a specific load on the GPU. 

So when you find a stable OC in Heaven, go back 30MHz - this will make it more certain to be actually stable in all games. 

Awesome, thanks for all the help 

OCCT was able to detect a memory overclock issue that was causing random resets on nicehash.  Benchmarks and games were fine 100mhz higher than the mining cared to deal with so I wanted to mention it for stability testing.  I too prefer MSI Afterburner for overclocking.

Ben

60DegreeV6 / WOT-Tech  

On 11/30/2021 at 5:52 AM, BetteBalterZen said:

Then;

19 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

No, when you have found a stable Core OC, then start tweaking the memory 🙂 I'd push it with +50MHz increments, and do this while Heaven in running and so on, just like with Core OC. When you start to see artifacts, then you know you're pushing it too far. 

Great guidelines by Zen, this is pretty much all you need to do when overclocking a GPU. It's a fairly simple process. 

Like Zen said, test your GPU settings in the games you want a performance increase on, or any other frequently used applications. As just a stable run on Heaven may not mean your GPU is entirely stable, I recommend OCCT (SMALL AVX2) to further test system stability.

As for the PL/Temps, you can of course adjust the PL and push some extra voltage to the card that may allow for higher clocks. But that would in turn also produce more heat, a custom fan curve would be ideal. 

Heres a tip: At the top right of Afterburner there's a Windows logo, activating it would mean Afterburner applies the GPU settings once the system enters Windows. This is useful for when you have a stable overclock, but it can become very frustrating when your display gets fucked and a system restart is in order. Then just repeating the entire process eventually getting into Safe Mode to disable the OC. Turn off that setting until you have a suitable OC. 

Make sure you're on the correct driver for your GPU and BIOS version. If not, it could cause incorrect readouts in HWiNFO

Also can you please advise me on unigine Heaven settings that I should use and how long to run unigine heaven each time 

16384489564856068260321271985154.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 12:18 AM, iMxmo said:

Great guidelines by Zen, this is pretty much all you need to do when overclocking a GPU. It's a fairly simple process. 

Like Zen said, test your GPU settings in the games you want a performance increase on, or any other frequently used applications. As just a stable run on Heaven may not mean your GPU is entirely stable, I recommend OCCT (SMALL AVX2) to further test system stability.

As for the PL/Temps, you can of course adjust the PL and push some extra voltage to the card that may allow for higher clocks. But that would in turn also produce more heat, a custom fan curve would be ideal. 

Heres a tip: At the top right of Afterburner there's a Windows logo, activating it would mean Afterburner applies the GPU settings once the system enters Windows. This is useful for when you have a stable overclock, but it can become very frustrating when your display gets fucked and a system restart is in order. Then just repeating the entire process eventually getting into Safe Mode to disable the OC. Turn off that setting until you have a suitable OC. 

Make sure you're on the correct driver for your GPU and BIOS version. If not, it could cause incorrect readouts in HWiNFO

Is this a good fan curve or what do you recommend?

16384553724144295889554143591205.jpg

8 minutes ago, jetsonxr6 said:

Is this a good fan curve or what do you recommend?

16384553724144295889554143591205.jpg

Fan curve is up to personal preference and how much noise levels matter to you. Either way if it's unsatisfactory then just apply a more aggressive curve. 

19 minutes ago, iMxmo said:

Fan curve is up to personal preference and how much noise levels matter to you. Either way if it's unsatisfactory then just apply a more aggressive curve. 

@iMxmo do you think that a more aggressive curve will make a difference to performance?

Test it out yourself, see if you can push mClock and bClock further with a higher fan speed

Usually pushing some extra voltage (or adjusting power limits) will increase the clockspeed ceiling, in turn for some extra heat. 

At a certain point lowering power limit/temperature limit then the GPU will downclock to stay under that threshold. 

15 hours ago, iMxmo said:

Test it out yourself, see if you can push mClock and bClock further with a higher fan speed

Usually pushing some extra voltage (or adjusting power limits) will increase the clockspeed ceiling, in turn for some extra heat. 

At a certain point lowering power limit/temperature limit then the GPU will downclock to stay under that threshold. 

@iMxmo I have tried a few different curves and all are pretty even, highest stable oc so far is +170MHz core clock and +950MHz memory clock 

8 hours ago, jetsonxr6 said:

@iMxmo I have tried a few different curves and all are pretty even, highest stable oc so far is +170MHz core clock and +950MHz memory clock 

Play around with Power Limit if you wish.