Trying to locate ECC Memory for Supermicro X11SSL

I am hoping someone here can help give me a lead on what memory to purchase for my supermicro X11SSL based NAS. I am trying to find a 64Gb kit and coming up empty. I am scowering the internet (eBay, PCPP) but the only kits I have found are fully buffered, out of stock, or extremely expensive.

Does anyone have a good tool/resource for sourcing unreg ECC DDR4?

Thanks in advance!

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

7 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

It's a registered kit (it's got a buffer that isn't supported by the mobo/cpu. Apparently, this system only supports unbuffered ECC. Like these: Choose Memory - PCPartPicker. But everything listed is super sketchy...

I didn't even know the difference until today when I accidentally bought a registered kit thinking it would work.

The only validated memory for that board is Micron server memory - Crucial's website will list the specific parts that are compatible and in production.  A quick search shows that CDW will let you order some of the SKUs, though ship date is 4-6 weeks out.

I'm not exactly sure why the unbuffered ECC DDR4 is currently about as rare as DDR5, but at least CDW gives you an estimated date for a backorder! 🙂 

And no, you can't have any of mine. 😛

9 minutes ago, elliott35 said:

It's a registered kit (it's got a buffer that isn't supported by the mobo/cpu. Apparently, this system only supports unbuffered ECC. Like these: Choose Memory - PCPartPicker. But everything listed is super sketchy...

I didn't even know the difference until today when I accidentally bought a registered kit thinking it would work.

I see the issue now. Strange that registered memory isn't supported on this platform. Unbuffered ECC memory is fairly uncommon, so I'd suggest installing standard non-ECC memory if you really need the upgrade.

I have used registered memory in unsupported platforms before on DDR3, but it required to be x8 memory, not x4. That may be completely different with DDR4 though.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Anyways, try one of these distributors to source:

https://www.crucial.com/products/memory/server

28 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

I see the issue now. Strange that registered memory isn't supported on this platform. Unbuffered ECC memory is fairly uncommon, so I'd suggest installing standard non-ECC memory if you really need the upgrade.

I have used registered memory in unsupported platforms before on DDR3, but it required to be x8 memory, not x4. That may be completely different with DDR4 though.

I agree, I think ditching the ECC may be my best option...

On 11/29/2021 at 12:56 AM, jec6613 said:

I'm not exactly sure why the unbuffered ECC DDR4 is currently about as rare as DDR5, but at least CDW gives you an estimated date for a backorder! 🙂 

Because these are a product for nobody. It is not advertised to "normal people". Typically have fewer MHZs and have no RGB, so children are not interested. For server applications Registered memory is more popular.

As for getting right memory. One has to look for companies that sell server hardware. General computer stores (even large internet stores) have little to offer if one demands quality. Same with quality SSDs. 

16 hours ago, lacek said:

Because these are a product for nobody. It is not advertised to "normal people". Typically have fewer MHZs and have no RGB, so children are not interested. For server applications Registered memory is more popular.

ECC Unbuffered is very common in single socket workstations and small single socket servers with the Xeon E3 and several AMD products.  It may be the second least common of the registered/unbuffered and ECC/non-ECC configurations (registered non-ECC being by far the least common type) but it's usually very easy to find.  Certainly easier than Registered ECC which tends to be server-specific with validation data in the SPD so only validated memory will work.