Smart fan settings in Bios questions..

nelska

In bios the cpu fan is set to smartfan mode. I have recently went through it and realized maybe all my case fans shouldnt be set to smartfan. because as I went through and turned smartfan off for the pump fan because I dont use water cooling I thought maybe the ability to turn smartfan on for the case fans is basically a feature to enable an array for a water cooling radiator that can carry up to 3 fans. which would need to be ran in smartfan mode. I know its not a huge deal. but at the same time Im pretty sure i was running my entire case on smartfan mode unnecessarily.

So I presume you're using a Gigabyte motherboard? Which Smartfan mode specifically is it set to?

There's a way you can tweak your fans without going into the BIOS - download SIV (System Information Viewer) & use it to set fan curves for each fan header under the "Smart Fan 5 Advanced" tab...You can also save Fan profiles. I used it a lot when testing my system & finding the right curves to use...

image.thumb.png.d47cc4218d11dd06a28326f1ccc19660.png

You also have the option to set a Smart Fan pre-set under the "Smart Fan 5 Auto" tab...

image.thumb.png.e0f6fb267854172c9ca99a8b34fc7b0d.png

5 hours ago, Ralfi said:

So I presume you're using a Gigabyte motherboard? Which Smartfan mode specifically is it set to?

There's a way you can tweak your fans without going into the BIOS - download SIV (System Information Viewer) & use it to set fan curves for each fan header under the "Smart Fan 5 Advanced" tab...You can also save Fan profiles. I used it a lot when testing my system & finding the right curves to use...

image.thumb.png.d47cc4218d11dd06a28326f1ccc19660.png

You also have the option to set a Smart Fan pre-set under the "Smart Fan 5 Auto" tab...

image.thumb.png.e0f6fb267854172c9ca99a8b34fc7b0d.png

mine is a b250 pc mate so i have msi command center but i dont fiddle with it. theres options in bios. I turn PWM on for all fans and "smartfan" on for only the fans that are cooling the cpu. so just the cpu fan itself. because my cooler only has.. that one.

Does the Smartfan mode on your MSI do the same thing as my Gigabyte? Ie. create a specific PWM fan curve for that one/all fans?

If so, & you find the fans get too noisy suddenly, then manually override it with your own less aggressive curve & check temps as you go.

11 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Does the Smartfan mode on your MSI do the same thing as my Gigabyte? Ie. create a specific PWM fan curve for that one/all fans?

If so, & you find the fans get too noisy suddenly, then manually override it with your own less aggressive curve & check temps as you go.

on mine instead of a steady voltage its a curve thats directly driven by the temperature of the cpu. and you can enable it for every port on the mobo. incase you have one of those cpu coolers that need more than just the cpu cooling port. 

1 hour ago, nelska said:

on mine instead of a steady voltage its a curve thats directly driven by the temperature of the cpu

Ok, so it’s PWM controlled. As are mine.

& I’ve tweaked my two fan headers with slightly different curves (& not used the motherboard’s smart fan presets).

I don’t use water cooling either, but I have 3 fans daisy-chained & connected to the “System 6 Pump” header.

You can also do this right? 

3 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Ok, so it’s PWM controlled. As are mine.

& I’ve tweaked my two fan headers with slightly different curves (& not used the motherboard’s smart fan presets).

I don’t use water cooling either, but I have 3 fans daisy-chained & connected to the “System 6 Pump” header.

You can also do this right? 

Yeh, but I don't use the pump header at all. I am not sure what voltage is going to it. I am assuming its tuned for a smaller fan. because pump fans are TINY inside. but i duno. I have it disabled as smartfan off.