I need help to decide on upgrading my current PC

Budget (including currency): 1500 Euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro ( heavy video effects, 4K and 8K video ), After Effects, FPS Gaming

Other details

Currently I have:

Intel I7-5930K

Asus Strix x99 Gaming

x2 - 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury

x2 - 8GB Kingston Hyperx Predator

Asus Strix GTX 1060 6gb

MasterLiquid Pro 280 ( Dont remember the exact model, on mine only the block is different )

Cooler Master V750 - 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

---------------------------

So I would like to upgrade the CPU and Motherboard on my 5 year old PC and I cant decide what to get...

I was thinking of AMD 5930x or AMD 5900x, for the motherboard I like the ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

The other option I was thinking is to wait for the new AMD5 boards and Zen4 CPU to come out ( hopefully next year ) and buy them, so I can have even better parts and the option to upgrade just the CPU after 4-5 years.

Or maybe I should get Intel CPU since the integrated GPU helps the playback and render on Premiere Pro. ( Noticed that on my MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF ).

The GPU is okay for now, my main goal is to have a better PC for Video Editing.

Just overclock the cpu for now, 22nm is similar to 14nm ill just reccomend 14nm intel spec voltage (1.52v) as max volt, stay under 85c aswell but if you are running below 1.4 youll prob be fine pushing it to 95c

You may wanna consider zen3d so i do suggest waiting for that but there is intel 12th gen so you may wanna consider just upgrading now, also to get optimal performance on 12th gen youll have to use w11

4 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just overclock the cpu for now, 22nm is similar to 14nm ill just reccomend 14nm intel spec voltage (1.52v) as max volt, stay under 85c aswell but if you are running below 1.4 youll prob be fine pushing it to 95c

You may wanna consider zen3d so i do suggest waiting for that but there is intel 12th gen so you may wanna consider just upgrading now, also to get optimal performance on 12th gen youll have to use w11

You don't really have to upgrade to Windows 11 to use Alder Lake. It performs just as well with Windows 10. Gamers Nexus did a video on that. Only a couple of older pieces of software were buggy but everything else was just fine. Link to the video:

Gamers Nexus Comparison of Windows 10 and 11 on Alder Lake

6 hours ago, MarioB said:

Budget (including currency): 1500 Euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro ( heavy video effects, 4K and 8K video ), After Effects, FPS Gaming

Other details

Currently I have:

Intel I7-5930K

Asus Strix x99 Gaming

x2 - 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury

x2 - 8GB Kingston Hyperx Predator

Asus Strix GTX 1060 6gb

MasterLiquid Pro 280 ( Dont remember the exact model, on mine only the block is different )

Cooler Master V750 - 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

---------------------------

So I would like to upgrade the CPU and Motherboard on my 5 year old PC and I cant decide what to get...

I was thinking of AMD 5930x or AMD 5900x, for the motherboard I like the ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

The other option I was thinking is to wait for the new AMD5 boards and Zen4 CPU to come out ( hopefully next year ) and buy them, so I can have even better parts and the option to upgrade just the CPU after 4-5 years.

Or maybe I should get Intel CPU since the integrated GPU helps the playback and render on Premiere Pro. ( Noticed that on my MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF ).

The GPU is okay for now, my main goal is to have a better PC for Video Editing.

Alder Lake is a very good upgrade but you might want to wait for Zen 3D if you have the patience and money to spend on another and probably even pricier 3d variant of the 5950x. The current 5950X is also a viable option, but the 12900K beats it in a lot of areas and is cheaper too.

4 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

With no overclock my cpu is max 55c and idle 43c, I clocked the turbo from 3.7ghz to 3.9ghz, but I dont want to experiment too much with voltages because I am scared to fuck up my pc haha. I know that is hard with all the safety features.

On the Strix motherboard there are 2 presets, for 8 and 6 core overclock. I tried the 6core profile, but my cpu went to 95c under load and when exporting it will reboot after 30 minutes of rendering.

For now its okay, its not too fast or too slow.

I was thinking of upgrading so I can take even heavier projects and dont have to worry about freezes and lags, so I can finish projects in time and without getting angry at my pc 😂

Also like to future proof my pc for all the new codecs and video standards that will come out.

For now when I edit it doesn't have a problem with clean video, but as soon as I put like Twixtor plug in ( to slow down 25fps video ) or other heavy plug-ins and color grades the whole timeline is very laggy.

Also premiere pro has a wierd bug, when I scroll in the media browser to look for clips, the cpu goes to 100% and It also fills up the ram (32gb) to 98% and I have to wait for clips to load the thumbnails...

53 minutes ago, MarioB said:

3.7ghz to 3.9ghz

Incredibly pathetic, my e8400 at 1.34 does 4.3, at ~1.65 on a bios only does upto 5.1ghz but stupid ram wont cooperate

54 minutes ago, MarioB said:

scared to fuck up my pc haha

Unless you shove 1.95v it will not die, max safe is 1.52v according to intel 14nm spec

54 minutes ago, MarioB said:

max 55c and idle 43c

Very low temps so tons of overclocking headroom, min 75c load or i consider it pathetic and lots of wasted performance

Dont go over 1.52v nor 80c and see how high of an overclock you can achieve then, babying your cpu too much leads to premature upgrading aka pathetic performance, also dont listen to ppl that say overclocking will degrade or kill your pc, they are only right if you push past safe limits and with 1.52v and 80c being the limits you have alot of headroom before the degrading one will come true, for the killing one to come true youd have to push it to ~2v

44 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Incredibly pathetic, my e8400 at 1.34 does 4.3, at ~1.65 on a bios only does upto 5.1ghz but stupid ram wont cooperate

Unless you shove 1.95v it will not die, max safe is 1.52v according to intel 14nm spec

Very low temps so tons of overclocking headroom, min 75c load or i consider it pathetic and lots of wasted performance

Dont go over 1.52v nor 80c and see how high of an overclock you can achieve then, babying your cpu too much leads to premature upgrading aka pathetic performance, also dont listen to ppl that say overclocking will degrade or kill your pc, they are only right if you push past safe limits and with 1.52v and 80c being the limits you have alot of headroom before the degrading one will come true, for the killing one to come true youd have to push it to ~2v

I didn't need to overclock it in the past, it was perfect as it was, but I will overclock it now and see if it reboots again under load.