My keyboard/mouse *sometimes* boots my computer up from a shutdown state, and its infuriating me.

So I've had the same machine for well over 3 years, and just recently I decided to do a clean install of windows 10 when I upgraded from an HDD to an SSD. Everything worked out great, the clean install went smooth and the OS detected my storage drives when I reconnected them and I've had virtually zero problems. Except for I have this rage inducing issue where occasionally, my computer will respond to a keyboard or mouse click and turn itself on. I do not want this. Ever. At all. I have a cat and I don't want him randomly turning on the pc while I'm away. I want the devices to bring my system back from sleep, hibernate, and screen savers; but that is it. I've tried everything I could think of. Played with nearly every setting in device manager and my asus bios. I even uninstalled the drivers for both the mouse and the keyboard in hopes that would fix it. I check everything for an update on a daily basis: windows, asus, amd. The only thing in the Asus BIOS I saw was to "allow USB power delivery when in soft off (s5) state", and that I have disabled. I'm at a loss. The machine NEVER did that before the new install. Can anyone help?

I can replicate the problem pretty consistently, and it's as frequent as every other shutdown. Sometimes I get lucky and I'll get three or maaaaaybe four cylces before it starts to act up. 

AMD Ryzen 3700X 

ASUS ROG Strix 4500-FGaming

32GB RAM

GTX 1060 6GB

Samsung 870 EVO SSD

USB M&K

Then the thing isn’t really shutdown.  Might be in some sort of a sleep state though.  It sounds like you set something or there is some sort of default that changed.  I think this may be solvable from the control panel.   It depends on what your “wake” settings are. There are a couple of different kinds.  One quick if perhaps overkill solution would be flip the power switch on the power supply after you shut the machine down.  Without power nothing is going to wake it up.  It’s a boat anchor.  There are probably less drastic options though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:16 PM, Bombastinator said:

Then the thing isn’t really shutdown.  Might be in some sort of a sleep state though.  It sounds like you set something or there is some sort of default that changed.  I think this may be solvable from the control panel.   It depends on what your “wake” settings are. There are a couple of different kinds.  One quick if perhaps overkill solution would be flip the power switch on the power supply after you shut the machine down.  Without power nothing is going to wake it up.  It’s a boat anchor.  There are probably less drastic options though. 

Okay, but how is it not really shutdown when I'm literally clicking "Shutdown". What can I do to ensure that it does "shutdown" entirely. Can you elaborate on how to solve this from Control panel. I do not want a work around. I want my computer to listen to me. I want it to behave like it should, given the settings I have. I want to know how come I NEVER had this problem for the 5 years I had my previous windows install. Are there common programs within the ASUS suite that hold my PC hostage and don't fully power it down? 

2 minutes ago, Nillacakesta said:

Okay, but how is it not really shutdown when I'm literally clicking "Shutdown". What can I do to ensure that it does "shutdown" entirely. Can you elaborate on how to solve this from Control panel. I do not want a work around. I want my computer to listen to me. I want it to behave like it should, given the settings I have. I want to know how come I NEVER had this problem for the 5 years I had my previous windows install. Are there common programs within the ASUS suite that hold my PC hostage and don't fully power it down? 

Because long ago apple fanbois made fun of windows fanbois because windows machines took longer to boot up.  Microsoft couldn’t actually do much about it so they faked it.  Instead of doing a true shutdown instead it did a hybernation which took less time to come back from than an actual shutdown. It sort of snowballed from there.  The feature coincideded fairly closely to “soft shutdown” iirc.  There used to be a way to make your machine actually shutdown.  Option key + shutdown or something.  I forget.  You want to get really hardcore shutdown the machine and then flip the switch on the PSU.  That’s an actual hard power switch. Takes a lot for an electron to jump one of those. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.