1st Build Ever Please Help

Cozmonaut13
Go to solution Solved by Forleb,

CL14 is a very unimpressive upgrade from CL16. 3600 speed gets the fclk in its happy spot & timings become less important, so just look for some CL16 (G.Skill has a beautiful 16-16-16-36 kit in their Trident Z series). Everything else looks good - congrats on the most desired card out there.

Hi all, 

I am finalizing a parts list for my first build. 

I received the below compatibility note from pcpartpicker and wanted to ask if this is a serious problem? Any way around the issue if so? I’ve also included my other selected parts (so far). To note, I already have the 3080. Any suggestions or constructive criticism is sincerely appreciated. 

The G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory operating voltage of 1.45 V exceeds the AMD Zen 3 CPU recommended maximum of 1350 mv+7% (1444.5 mv). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1350 mv voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the AMD recommended maximum.”

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCTFF8

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x 3.4ghz 16 core 

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM

Memory: G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 2x16gb ddr4 3600 cl14 (Samsung bdie according to a bdie finder)

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE  
Case: Phanteks Evolv X

Still deliberating on Motherboard, power supply and storage. Any suggestions welcome. 

CL14 is a very unimpressive upgrade from CL16. 3600 speed gets the fclk in its happy spot & timings become less important, so just look for some CL16 (G.Skill has a beautiful 16-16-16-36 kit in their Trident Z series). Everything else looks good - congrats on the most desired card out there.

the pc guy

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jGqW2V

Swapped rams for ripjaws v 4000 cl18

Swapped overpriced asf cooler for a rather beefy liquid freezer 420

If you want a customizable display on your pc look into a sensor panel tutorial, heck you dont even need it to be a sensor panel you could prob just put whatever photo/gif on there if you want

DDR4-3600 CL16 is the sweet spot.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jxH8TW/gskill-trident-z-rgb-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-32gtzrc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3FKHx/gskill-trident-z-neo-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-cl16-memory-f4-3600c16d-32gtznc

Running an out of spec voltage may add additional wear on involved components. It may also introduce some instability. Although I doubt it in the case of the listed modules since G.Skill has a large number of B550 and X570 motherboards on the kit's QVL.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, Forleb said:

Thank you very much! Any suggestions on motherboard / power supply?

1 hour ago, brob said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jxH8TW/gskill-trident-z-rgb-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-32gtzrc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3FKHx/gskill-trident-z-neo-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-cl16-memory-f4-3600c16d-32gtznc

Running an out of spec voltage may add additional wear on involved components. It may also introduce some instability. Although I doubt it in the case of the listed modules since G.Skill has a large number of B550 and X570 motherboards on the kit's QVL.

Thank you! Especially for the links. Do you have any suggestions on motherboard / power supply? 

X570-E Gaming or Unify are good value for rigs like this. An 850W 80+ Gold unit should be your focus - reference the PSU tier list if you want to pick one out, otherwise I recommend Enermax Revolution.

the pc guy

9 hours ago, Cozmonaut13 said:

Thank you! Especially for the links. Do you have any suggestions on motherboard / power supply? 

Best price https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WxZzK8/msi-mpg-a-gf-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpg-a850gf

I'm a Seasonic fan, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7v3mP6/seasonic-focus-gx-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-gx-850

Probably best choice https://pcpartpicker.com/product/26rRsY/corsair-rmx-2021-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020200-na

Once feature requirements are determined, motherboard choice comes down to brand preference and budget. Case has front panel usb-c port. That excludes most Asus B550 motherboards below STRIX B559-E. Unless one is willing to have a build with non-functional front panel ports. ☹️

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:09 AM, brob said:

Best price https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WxZzK8/msi-mpg-a-gf-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpg-a850gf

I'm a Seasonic fan, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7v3mP6/seasonic-focus-gx-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-gx-850

Probably best choice https://pcpartpicker.com/product/26rRsY/corsair-rmx-2021-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020200-na

Once feature requirements are determined, motherboard choice comes down to brand preference and budget. Case has front panel usb-c port. That excludes most Asus B550 motherboards below STRIX B559-E. Unless one is willing to have a build with non-functional front panel ports. ☹️

I received the below warning. Does this mean the motherboard arrives requiring an update? 

• Warning!The Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor with BIOS version 2606. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU

On 11/24/2021 at 10:17 PM, brob said:

I received the below warning. Does this mean the motherboard arrives requiring an update? 

• Warning!The Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor with BIOS version 2606. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU

2 minutes ago, Cozmonaut13 said:

If it's sat on the shelf for a long time, it might need an update, but that's easy to do with BIOS Flashback.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1038568/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 11/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, Forleb said:

X570-E Gaming or Unify are good value for rigs like this. An 850W 80+ Gold unit should be your focus - reference the PSU tier list if you want to pick one out, otherwise I recommend Enermax Revolution.

Forleb, I got the below warning. Does this mean the motherboard arrives requiring an update for the 5900x? Or, if the board was previously being used then I would have to update it? Any info/direction is sincerely appreciated!

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If it's sat on the shelf for a long time, it might need an update, but that's easy to do with BIOS Flashback.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1038568/

Hmm. That isn’t optimal since I do not have another pc to load the update onto a flash drive. Very much appreciate the info. Any ideas for additional solutions? Think it worth considering another MB? If you had to pick a different motherboard that is already optimized what would you go with? Thank you again 

Just now, Cozmonaut13 said:

Hmm. That isn’t optimal since I do not have another pc to load the update onto a flash drive. Very much appreciate the info. Any ideas for additional solutions? Think it worth considering another MB? If you had to pick a different motherboard that is already optimized what would you go with? Thank you again 

That's going to show up on any other B550 or X570 motherboard. Worst case, take it to a repair shop and see if they'll update for you. Or have a friend make the USB, or go to a library and use their computer to make the USB.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That's going to show up on any other B550 or X570 motherboard. Worst case, take it to a repair shop and see if they'll update for you. Or have a friend make the USB, or go to a library and use their computer to make the USB.

Ahh ok got it. Makes sense, thank you! 

Just now, Cozmonaut13 said:

Ahh ok got it. Makes sense, thank you! 

It's worth trying first. Just assemble as much out side of the computer case as you can to get it to run. RAM, storage, CPU, cooler, GPU. There's a good chance that it'll support that 5950 out of the box. If it just refuses to turn on, or turns on and off like it's confused, it more than likely needs the BIOS update.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Gnome, last question (hopefully). Is there a way to find out what parts are able to utilize cable sleeves for the clean management and aesthetic? Also, I’m wondering based off my current parts list if I should purchase any replacement/additional fans? What do you think? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d7hJvf

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's worth trying first. Just assemble as much out side of the computer case as you can to get it to run. RAM, storage, CPU, cooler, GPU. There's a good chance that it'll support that 5950 out of the box. If it just refuses to turn on, or turns on and off like it's confused, it more than likely needs the BIOS update.

Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, Cozmonaut13 said:

Is there a way to find out what parts are able to utilize cable sleeves for the clean management and aesthetic?

For that, you kind of have to go through part for part and figure out what it takes for cables and what you can be bothered to change out. 

5950x. 1 8 pin EPS and 1 4 pin connector. You'll only probably use the 8 pin EPS. The second 4 pin is for a big overclock.

Motherboard. 1 24 pin power connector.

WD Black HDD. 1 Sata power cable and 1 sata data cable. The power cable can also be used for other items too. Sata Data cables usually aren't sleeved, but you can get them in different colors. 

AIO cooler. 1 Sata power cable. However, you'll probably run the power cable through the back of the case and with the length of the power cable on the AIO not see a sleeved one.

3080. Depending on the model you have. If you have the FE, it will use 2 PCIE 8 pin power cables to go to the 12 pin adapter. If you want everything matching, this would mean 2 PCIE cables and the adapter. If you have a different model, how ever many power connectors it needs. 

This would be for extensions. If you go with sleeved cables, make sure they go to that powersupply(Corsair RMx, or Type 4). Most sleeved cable sets will come with what you need. 

15 minutes ago, Cozmonaut13 said:

Also, I’m wondering based off my current parts list if I should purchase any replacement/additional fans? What do you think? 

You could if you wanted all the fans to match. That being said, the Evolv X comes with 3 fans and the AIO will come with 3 fans.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

44 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

For that, you kind of have to go through part for part and figure out what it takes for cables and what you can be bothered to change out. 

5950x. 1 8 pin EPS and 1 4 pin connector. You'll only probably use the 8 pin EPS. The second 4 pin is for a big overclock.

Motherboard. 1 24 pin power connector.

WD Black HDD. 1 Sata power cable and 1 sata data cable. The power cable can also be used for other items too. Sata Data cables usually aren't sleeved, but you can get them in different colors. 

AIO cooler. 1 Sata power cable. However, you'll probably run the power cable through the back of the case and with the length of the power cable on the AIO not see a sleeved one.

3080. Depending on the model you have. If you have the FE, it will use 2 PCIE 8 pin power cables to go to the 12 pin adapter. If you want everything matching, this would mean 2 PCIE cables and the adapter. If you have a different model, how ever many power connectors it needs. 

This would be for extensions. If you go with sleeved cables, make sure they go to that powersupply(Corsair RMx, or Type 4). Most sleeved cable sets will come with what you need. 

You could if you wanted all the fans to match. That being said, the Evolv X comes with 3 fans and the AIO will come with 3 fans.

Thank you!!!