Odd Auto-HDR issue

Toben7l

I'm having a weird auto-HDR issue that I haven't been able to capture because it's random, hoping someone can help. Specs are as follows -

2 LG Ultragear 27 inch monitors, model 27GP83B-B.AUS, not overclocked, each running @ 165.97 Hz

ASUS Strix RTX 3090 OC

Windows 11 latest public build

NVidia driver 496.76

To the issue - I have auto-HDR turned on on both monitors. I know that the max peak brightness of these panels is "only" 400 nits, so it's what Linus would call "HDAren't", but it looks better for me, and I notice a difference on the content I consume, so I like to have it on. The problem is that on the left monitor, I'm starting to see artifacting if Auto-HDR is turned on. Randomly, I'll get stripes or blocks of grey show up for a split second. This is whether I'm consuming SDR or HDR content, or if I'm just sitting with the background active. The right monitor doesn't experience anything like this. If I turn Auto-HDR off, it goes away. Do I have a faulty panel? Maybe a display port cable? The cables are the same make/model for both monitors. 

Could be just a software issue with W11 for all we know.

But for these monitors you can just disable HDR and then turn up your brightness to max. Because that's bascially all this monitor does when enabling HDR. I know it's not a perfect solution but maybe a worthwhile workaround for you.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Could be just a software issue with W11 for all we know.

But for these monitors you can just disable HDR and then turn up your brightness to max. Because that's bascially all this monitor does when enabling HDR. I know it's not a perfect solution but maybe a worthwhile workaround for you.

That’s what I’ve done with the “bad” monitor. It does lock out a few other settings, like black stabilizer, contrast, gamma, color temp, individual r/g/b sliders, and black level if HDR is on, but I mainly use the second monitor for YouTube and other streaming content so this works for me for now. Just worried about, honestly, a bad display port port  on my way too expensive GPU lol

3 hours ago, Toben7l said:

Just worried about, honestly, a bad display port port  on my way too expensive GPU lol

Just switch the two monitor cables around, so basically plug the perfectly working one into the port you think is broken. If the other monitor that was fine before has the same problem, you know it's the port. If you don't have the same problem or it's still the other monitor that had it before you at least know it's not your GPU port.

Another thing you could try is to run DDU. This fixed a bunch of issues for me in the past when i didn't even consider that something could be messed up with the GPU drivers.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...