Affordable NAS that can be used as TV media player

FRD

A while ago I made a topic about NAS advice. So far I didn't get one yet, but I found out that I prefer a QNAP NAS over Synology. Mainly because QNAPs can be used as a media player, directly to the TV using HDMI.

We still have a FHD TV and still need to upgrade to 4K, so I prefer the processing power to playback to come from the NAS. Also, browsing in folders using the TV itself is pretty slow, depending on the storage/device. It also won't display more than 1000+ items.

What are affordable NAS options for me that have a HDMI (or other display output)?

I prefer to spend $300-350 max, preferably less. I just want a 2-bay NAS, 4-bay maybe in the future.

I've been looking at these so far:

• QNAP TS-230 $170 sale price (but no HDMI or anything)
  • QNAP TS-251D $325
  • QNAP TS-253D $375 (over budget)
  • Asustor AS6602T Lockerstor 2 $410 (over budget)

I've also got used options, which are:

• QNAP TS-251+ $200
  • Asustor AS3102T $200

Which one is the best for me?

I also really like the QNAP TS-230, because it has good reviews and is a nice cheap beginner NAS. But can I still achieve to playback from my TV, even though no HDMI?

I've also heard of Plex, but do I need that? My main goal is to playback holiday photos and videos from the device, sometimes movies. I usually stream movies from services instead though.

What storage config are you using?

Id generally suggest having a separate client for steaming, but streaming from the hdmi will work. 

How about a nvidia sheild with a external hdd? You don't seem to need the nas features, so something like a sheild also works as a good streaming box and can play from the storage on the external hdd.

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What storage config are you using?

Id generally suggest having a separate client for steaming, but streaming from the hdmi will work. 

How about a nvidia sheild with a external hdd? You don't seem to need the nas features, so something like a sheild also works as a good streaming box and can play from the storage on the external hdd.

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by storage config. Basically right now I just have a bunch of external harddrives and I want to get my first NAS/server. I'm still a beginner at this.

How should I set up a separate client for streaming exactly?

Nvidia shield with an external HDD is an option, but I prefer not to. I already have enough game consoles and 2 streaming devices, so I'd rather not. Indeed the NAS features are not needed as streaming and playback is really basic, but maybe in the future I might also want to use it for security camera recording.

For now I want a NAS that is able to playback on my tv without too many hiccups because of the older tv hardware.

Hope this helps.