Which CPU + MOBO + RAM combo should I go with.

SaladGreens

I am looking to upgrade my pc in two steps, get the CPU + Mobo, ram, ssd now, upgrade GPU + Psu, cooling, etc later.

Right now I have an FX-6300 and GTX 780, going to swap out my CPU now and get one of the new 2060 once they happen.

The two "builds" i've budget out are as follows

PC 1

CPU: 10400f  : $210 (cad)

MOBO: ASUS Prime b560m-A : $140

RAM: Gskill ripjaw 2x8 3200 cl16 : $70

SSD : Samsung 980 1tb m.2 : $125

Total after tax : $615

PC 2

CPU : 5600x : $350 (cad)

MOBO : MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS : $160

RAM: Trident Z RGB 2x8 3600 cl18 : $100

SSD : Samsung 980 1tb m.2 : $125

Total after tax : $830

Im wondering if the extra 200 for the 5600x build is worth it, or better put towards GPU/Monitor. From what I saw it seems like a 15-25% fps uplift. Which for right now idc but If the 5600x will last two years more than the 10400f then it's worth it to me, even though that gets into the "futurerpoffing" discussion. Which tbf I am spending extra to get a b550 because I don't want the hassle of updating the bios and I want PCIE 4.0 for if it ever becomes necessary in the future. I could get a cheaper board and ram with PC 2, get the 5600g instead, or get the 11400f instead possibly?

Any advice on what my best option would be appreciated, I just need help picking something so I can stop mulling over it lol.

11400F performs better than a 10400F for a comparable price https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/qp2WGX/intel-core-i5-11400f-26-ghz-6-core-processor-bx8070811400f and that makes it a better purchase than the Ryzen 5 5600X. Heck, even a 12600KF is cheaper than a 5600X and performs a lot better. (motherboard is more expensive btw)

What's the brand and model of your PSU?

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What's the brand and model of your PSU?

I have an evga 750w some 80+ rating don't remember. It's getting old and I worry about it dying as I have had it a few years longer than ryzen has been a thing.

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

even a 12600KF is cheaper than a 5600X and performs a lot better.

I have heard bad things about the 11xxx series thermals I think but I might be mistaken. Either way the 10400f, 11400, 11400f, and 12600kf are all out of stock near me. I can afford the extra $200 so I think I'll just go with that rn.

Firstly, I would recommend adding a decent aftermarket cpu cooler to either one. Most will cool the cpu much better than stock, for sure.

For longevity and overclocking, the 2nd one. Otherwise, the first list.

For the 2nd one though, I would recommend either 3200MHz CL16 or 3600MHz CL16 RAM.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

For longevity and overclocking, the 2nd one. Otherwise, the first list.

Im using an FX in 2021 so ya I like to keep my parts for a long time. That is half of what I am factoring.

Im looking at either be quiet pure rock 2 or an NHD15. Do you think the rock2 is good enough for cooling or should I wait a bit and get an NHD15? Or get a hyper 212 evo for now and nhd15 later.

Also from what I have researched 3200 @ cl16 has the same latency as 3600 @ cl18, but is just faster. But ya I agree that it probably would be better to save some money and get the gskill ripjaw.

13 minutes ago, SaladGreens said:

be quiet pure rock 2

My i5-11600 is cooled by a Pure Rock 2. Max temp is 67 degrees C stressed and dead silent. My 12600K is cooled by an Enermax ETS-T50 AXE. Did not a stresstest jet.

49 minutes ago, SaladGreens said:

Im using an FX in 2021 so ya I like to keep my parts for a long time. That is half of what I am factoring.

Im looking at either be quiet pure rock 2 or an NHD15. Do you think the rock2 is good enough for cooling or should I wait a bit and get an NHD15? Or get a hyper 212 evo for now and nhd15 later.

Also from what I have researched 3200 @ cl16 has the same latency as 3600 @ cl18, but is just faster. But ya I agree that it probably would be better to save some money and get the gskill ripjaw.

Pure Rock 2 will definitely be good enough, yes. Don't get a Hyper 212. I've sworn off them now, because after mounting and remounting those cpu coolers for years, I'm all Be Quiet! or Noctua now. Noctua has an even easier mounting system, but IIRC both of those 2 have about the same mounting system.

Ryzen likes lower latency, so that's why I would recommend the 3200MHz CL16 RAM. Yes. 🙂

Also, if you do get a Noctua cooler, you may want to consider the NH-D15S. It may be slightly cheaper. If it's not, then NH-D15 would be cool too. Be Quiet's Pure Rock 2 cpu cooler would be good enough for the 5600X, like I stated above, though. There may also be a NH-U12S Redux cooler. If you can get that one, that would be an alternative to the Pure Rock 2 cpu cooler.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos