What are my options for sharing files between my Mac and PC?

Invincible Sugar

I own a Mac Mini M1 which is on our local home network via WiFi, and a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon which is on its own LTE connection. They are at the same desk, I could network them to each other some how if that's possible, but I need the laptop to be on its LTE connection for internet at all times; the home network is extremely slow DSL and I only use the Mac on it because it doesn't have an LTE option.

My main storage is a USB raid box, 14 TB which I backup with Backblaze. Any network storage would not be compatible with Backblaze, it only takes local drives. I want a method to share files between the Mac and laptop that are hosted on that external USB drive, when they are on different networks. Some local networking via Ethernet, if that is possible? Or some USB gadget that connects them locally? Maybe there is a wireless solution for sharing files between a Mac and PC?

Thanks!

Run a network cable between them, then mke. network with static ips tht doesn't connect to any thing else. Then you can make a network share of your usb drive.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Run a network cable between them, then mke. network with static ips tht doesn't connect to any thing else. Then you can make a network share of your usb drive.

Thank you! What is a mke network? Is it a Mac thing?

3 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Thank you! What is a mke network? Is it a Mac thing?

oops, meant make a network. Just plug both systems together with a network cable, and put them on the same subnet, so something like pc A with 10.6.24.5/24 and pc 2 having 10.6.24.6/24

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

oops, meant make a network. Just plug both systems together with a network cable, and put them on the same subnet, so something like pc A with 10.6.24.5/24 and pc 2 having 10.6.24.6/24

Thank you!

Actually, would it be possible to Alaska share my laptop's LTE internet connection with the Mac Mini through that too?

16 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Thank you!

Actually, would it be possible to Alaska share my laptop's LTE internet connection with the Mac Mini through that too?

Yea, you can use network sharing(available in both oses) to share the network over the wired link.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea, you can use network sharing(available in both oses) to share the network over the wired link.

I was able to connect the Mac and the PC via Ethernet, but now the laptop is refusing to use it's cellular connection for internet. It's trying to use the Mac Ethernet connection for internet and ignoring the cellular and WiFi. How do I fix that?

44 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

I was able to connect the Mac and the PC via Ethernet, but now the laptop is refusing to use it's cellular connection for internet. It's trying to use the Mac Ethernet connection for internet and ignoring the cellular and WiFi. How do I fix that?

Did you setup internet connection sharing? Id do that first,a nd then it will keep using cellular.