PC shutsdown randomly. Molten side panel!

AmyTheBun

Soooo I have a PC with the following specs:

PSU: Cooler master MWE 750 GOLD

CPU: Ryzen 2700

Ram: 2x8gn 3000mhz

GPU: Rtx 3070

Mobo: Asus tuf gaming b450 pro

Soo... A week ago my pc started shutting down while mining (I live in Iran so crypto  good way of purchasing games/VPNs ! Don't judge me please!) Or gaming.

It does shutdown when I'm watching videos or just using the PC too, rarely. But playing games for an hour is a guaranteed shutdown.

Do I ran a memtest and it was fine. My mother looks clean and nothing looks burnt.

My PSU does make loud coil whine when gaming but it always had a loud coil whine when I'm sleep/turned off or when under load.

But the weird thing is... I found this mark/dent on the side panel! It's exactly the size/shape as my GPU power cables and right above them.

What is going on? Are these cable markes on my side panel normal? It the cables must've reached 60c~ unless it's a chemical reaction.

I checked the cable pins on both ends with a multimeter and all wires were under 0.2 ohm.

I run a single cable from the PSU to the GPU since it has another connector on the end

I ordered a new PSU but I'm doubtful it'll help. It still hasn't arrived so I can cancel it. 120$ is a lot to me :s

20211119_161740.jpg

You should be using two separate power cables for the GPU. The shutdowns MAY be from insufficient power. As the cables heat up (from normal usage) the resistance goes up, which means the cables get hotter. Repeat. 

Start with separate power cables and see if it still happens. Also, what are you GPU temps while gaming/mining? Use something like HWinfo64 to monitor.

Leave the side panel off for now.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

7 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

You should be using two separate power cables for the GPU. The shutdowns MAY be from insufficient power. As the cables heat up (from normal usage) the resistance goes up, which means the cables get hotter. Repeat. 

Start with separate power cables and see if it still happens. Also, what are you GPU temps while gaming/mining? Use something like HWinfo64 to monitor.

Leave the side panel off for now.

I'll try i hope my 1700$ (thanks to chip shortages) gpu doesn't die

GPU was like 70-80 gaming and 55 mining

23 minutes ago, Troubleshootpc said:

I think your video card is burned 

it only shutsdown after a bit! it costs 1700$ now so it better not 😞

Are any of parts running outside of default clock speeds?

Say your RAM, GPU, or CPU?

If so, I would turn them all to clock speeds. I've also heard that lowering the power draw for mining is more preferable, especially if you would want to extent the life of your GPU. There is likely an option in the BIOS for minimizing the power draw for your GPU.

I would try to monitor your PC doing something you would consider intensive for your system to see at which point it crashes your system. From there you may have a better idea of where the problems start and stop

9 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Are any of parts running outside of default clock speeds?

Say your RAM, GPU, or CPU?

If so, I would turn them all to clock speeds. I've also heard that lowering the power draw for mining is more preferable, especially if you would want to extent the life of your GPU. There is likely an option in the BIOS for minimizing the power draw for your GPU.

I would try to monitor your PC doing something you would consider intensive for your system to see at which point it crashes your system. From there you may have a better idea of where the problems start and stop

Ram is i D.O.C.P or whatever but nope.

I do underclock/underpower my GPU for mining

here's what i found when doing intensive task

GPU max temp: 77.6. current (playing games to test) : 77

Hotspot: current (gaming) 88c. max: 90.9 (dang)

GPU Power draw: 250w

GPU Rail Voltage: min 11.825v max 12.044 

CPU: 55c

cpu rail read voltage dropped as low as 11.77

also my cables are very warm even after putting a second cable in, im starting to think... it was my cable overheating, everything poitns to that. no shuttdown after 20m... YET

28 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

I'll try i hope my 1700$ (thanks to chip shortages) gpu doesn't die

GPU was like 70-80 gaming and 55 mining

Temps look good then. See if separate power cables improve anything. 

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

8 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Temps look good then. See if separate power cables improve anything. 

I did that when i posted this 🙂 so far no shuttown! it sometimes took so time, so I won't celebrate yet just in case i get sad.

but honestly considering that even with 2 seperate cables the cables are still warm (without panels...) i assume it was this.

this card I have draws 50 extra watts unlike the FE cards... so no wonder.

i'm just confused about why this showed up after 1 year or more of using this PC

it's been way longer then the max time I could leave my PC on when gaming, and not shutdown yet! i'll remove the solution and comment again if it shuts down!

Im so happy! hope the store agrees to cancel my package and gives me back my 120$. tempted to buy myself a new 212 for 30$ as a celebration lol. so I can OC my CPU.

4 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

it's been way longer then the max time I could leave my PC on when gaming, and not shutdown yet! i'll remove the solution and comment again if it shuts down!

Im so happy! hope the store agrees to cancel my package and gives me back my 120$. tempted to buy myself a new 212 for 30$ as a celebration lol. so I can OC my CPU.

Great! Hope it stays performing normally!

4 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

It shutdown again 😞

now it's shuttin down a few seconds after I get into the login screen. I did try Linux before changing the gpu cable and it shutsdown in l Ubuntu too

should get someone to test the PSU, to isolate it be doing anything weird and that you bought a good unit. unsure how good this one is, the PSU tier list thread might have some insight, here on LTT.

35 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

should get someone to test the PSU, to isolate it be doing anything weird and that you bought a good unit. unsure how good this one is, the PSU tier list thread might have some insight, here on LTT.

It doesn't have this unit in it.

And I do have a cheap kit oscilloscope. And Mt new unit is on its way.

Maybe I can load it with a heater somewhere (tho 750w is a lot of power to draw... Gotta find something!) And test it. But I guess I'll just wait for the new PSU? I Don't know anyone to test it

Could it be my (now 1400$) gpu be dying?!!

I hope not.

Could this be a damaged CPU maybe?

if something dies, it would be more likely from an PSU fault or something. (bad cables can be bad too)

but if there was something wrong with the cable or plugged into the wrong thing?

but the GPU shouldn't be dead from "nothing", unless there is something with heat or previous damage or from PSU.

or if you did something around crypto.

18 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

if something dies, it would be more likely from an PSU fault or something. (bad cables can be bad too)

but if there was something wrong with the cable or plugged into the wrong thing?

but the GPU shouldn't be dead from "nothing", unless there is something with heat or previous damage or from PSU.

i did crypto with my power at 50%.

do you think my GPU is dead?

so far i'm waiting for my new PSU to arrive.

oh and weird thing. the new cables also left a slight dent in my pannel, without ever being turned on or heated properly....

i'm starting to think it's a chemical reaction!

oh and I should mention there was a time where there was daily random power cuts in my courtry. so my PC shutdown by a power cut a lot without warning.

it was 2 months ago. I hope the power cuts didn't kill my GPU. maybe it's my PSU that has been damaged from the frequent power cuts

20 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

On 11/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, RAS_3885 said:

ok o far it' snot shutting down with the side pannel off?!!!!

could the issue be my panel putting pressure on the GPU power cables? I noticed that it was putting pressure on the GPU cables

2 hours ago, AmyTheBun said:

ok o far it' snot shutting down with the side pannel off?!!!!

could the issue be my panel putting pressure on the GPU power cables? I noticed that it was putting pressure on the GPU cables

Seems plausible. I’d keep the side panel off for a while to confirm. Temps still okay?

14 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Seems plausible. I’d keep the side panel off for a while to confirm. Temps still okay?

yeah! heck i put a 3.8ghz overclock at 1.27v with my stock cooler (5m of cina gets it to 87c but never above) and it's still running great!

i'm debating ordering one of those pretty extension cables for the GPU because these stock bulky GPU cables are so tick it pushes against the side pannel.

i assume a 212 evo would easily get me to 4ghz at 1.3v but honestly... I doubt it's worth the 3-4% estimated perfromance gain. just 2 extra frames at 90fps for 30$. might as well sell the CPU and spend the extra on a 3600x

Update; it shutdown once with rhe side panel off. I'm waiting for my new PSU