Transfer speeds between NVME not matching up...

Packet7hrower
Go to solution Solved by Packet7hrower,

Update - I ran a chkdsk /r on both drives, rebooted, went to record the test to post here, and now it's writing at the correct speeds....

Hey Team!

Below is my setup:

C:\ Drive: Samsung 950 Pro - verified it's established at PCIe 3.0 x4. Crystal Disk Mark (1GB Test file, SEQ1M) numbers are 1885 Read, 936 Write

F:\ Drive: WD SN750 - verified it's established at PCIe 3.0 x4. Crystal Disk Mark (1GB Test file, SEQ1M) numbers are 3478 Read, 3016 Write

Both drives are NTFS

Here is my question - why when transferring a 5GB Zip File, am I only transferring at ~570MBps, and not closer to 1,800MBps?

TRIM?

Drives do get slower over time. I have disabled Scheduled optimization, yet it's good practice to do it time to time.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

TRIM?

Drives do get slower over time. I have disabled Scheduled optimization, yet it's good practice to do it time to time.

So I did run the test on a fresh reboot, then ran a TRIM command on both drives, and repeated the test (both the CDM and transfer test) - essentially same results.

2 minutes ago, Packet7hrower said:

So I did run the test on a fresh reboot, then ran a TRIM command on both drives, and repeated the test (both the CDM and transfer test) - essentially same results.

TRIM command line? 

I just do "Optimize" and its as good as new...blr.thumb.jpg.04850f59dbc7aebe0556a404a7235da9.jpg

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Packet7hrower said:

Hey Team!

Below is my setup:

C:\ Drive: Samsung 950 Pro - verified it's established at PCIe 3.0 x4. Crystal Disk Mark (1GB Test file, SEQ1M) numbers are 1885 Read, 936 Write

F:\ Drive: WD SN750 - verified it's established at PCIe 3.0 x4. Crystal Disk Mark (1GB Test file, SEQ1M) numbers are 3478 Read, 3016 Write

Both drives are NTFS

Here is my question - why when transferring a 5GB Zip File, am I only transferring at ~570MBps, and not closer to 1,800MBps?

Which drive was the source and which one was the destination?

And does the speed starts at 570MBps, or it starts higher then gets slower over time? If the latter, then it's common since you're using all of the SLC cache and starts to get into the TLC/QLC area, which is slower. Try to copy a smaller file (~1GB) and it should go at full speed.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

24 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

TRIM command line? 

I just do "Optimize" and its as good as new...blr.thumb.jpg.04850f59dbc7aebe0556a404a7235da9.jpg

Both - but the second time I did use Optimize

23 minutes ago, igormp said:

Which drive was the source and which one was the destination?

And does the speed starts at 570MBps, or it starts higher then gets slower over time? If the latter, then it's common since you're using all of the SLC cache and starts to get into the TLC/QLC area, which is slower. Try to copy a smaller file (~1GB) and it should go at full speed.

So the source drive is the C Drive, which read 1885. The Destination Drive was the drive that wrote at 3016.

I've tried the copy from just explorer and with teracopy.

Also - when running the CDM test, I've verified task manager is showing correlating speeds.

I've tried xfering a 3GB file, and a 900MB file - both speak at around 700MBps.

Let me do a screen grab.

Update - I ran a chkdsk /r on both drives, rebooted, went to record the test to post here, and now it's writing at the correct speeds....