Need some mobo help!

HoTsOuRcE

Hi,

One of my customer's old server malfunctioned and decided to replace with a new one. Old server will be disposed and it has Xeon E5520 CPU (1X) in it.

I am also trying build a mini server for my home. It will serve as NAS / Media Center / Home Automation Server. Should I use discarded Xeon E5520 for my project? If yes which mobo should I choose (preferably mATX)? All motherboards with LGA1366 socket are compatible?

Unless you're using the whole old server which likely has redundant power, ECC RAM, etc, I'd pass on it and get something newer if you're going to build most of this anyway.  The value here is in having a real server chassis and board, with IP KVM and other management and availability features, not in the CPU itself.

The Xeon E5520 is equivalent to an i7-920, or a Sandy Bridge i7 - it's really lacking in performance and is is a power hog by modern standards.  An old Haswell or later business desktop for $200 would do better.

3 hours ago, HoTsOuRcE said:

Hi,

One of my customer's old server malfunctioned and decided to replace with a new one. Old server will be disposed and it has Xeon E5520 CPU (1X) in it.

I am also trying build a mini server for my home. It will serve as NAS / Media Center / Home Automation Server. Should I use discarded Xeon E5520 for my project? If yes which mobo should I choose (preferably mATX)? All motherboards with LGA1366 socket are compatible?

Wouldnt recommend a processor from 2009 that sucks up power and doesnt perform that well.

13 hours ago, jec6613 said:

E5520

Trash

45nm nehalem chip aka an f ing power hog, there are 32nm quadcores like the x5677 or x5687 but why bother with those when there are the hexa cores like the x5675

13 hours ago, jec6613 said:

The value here is in having a real server chassis and board, with IP KVM and other management and availability features, not in the CPU itself.

^^^

If you dont use the damn server then might aswell throw the cpu in an ewaste bin, though atleast you can use it as a disposable experiment cpu, aka a cpu that you can kill and not worry about

Then again servers prior to 2011 if unoverclockable are pretty much ewaste, atleast on 771 you could use bsel + voltmod + setfsb and overclock the crap out of the poor cpus but on 1366 unless you find a bios chip of an sr2 and a server board compatible with the bios of an sr2 then you are out of luck