WhatsApp creating new directories, me unable to merge them

After receiving an android software update for my Xiaomi Redmi note 9 pro, WhatsApp created a new directory (Internal shared storage\Android\media\com.whatsapp\WhatsApp\Media) and started writing data to it instead of the original directory (Internal shared storage\WhatsApp\Media). Which created a problem, after a while I realized that I can't access my old media ( pics vids and VNs ) in-app anymore, makes sense since the app stopped writing into the old directory which means no reading from it, but they won't redownload for some godforsaken reason. So the first solution that popped to mind was just copying everything from the old directory and pasting it into the new one using a USB-C cable and a PC, simple enough  …or so I thought, it doesn't work!  Windows file explorer kept crashing whenever I tried copying the whole thing or it just gave me one of those "no" Windows sounds whenever I tried copying individual folders, no dialogue box just a "no". I've tried multiple times restarting my PC in between, but "no", windows explorer only displays, opens, copies, pastes individual media files in their folders, but doesn't allow me to move them around in bulk as I want. I then tried using the file app on my phone to merge the folders, didn't seem to work (keep in mind am moving a relatively large amount of data) it just got stuck. I can work with not being able to display the pics and vids in-chat since they get backed up and categorized by google photos anyways, but the voice notes are a problem, I want those back, and I can't quite wrap my head around how WhatsApp categorizes them in-directory, the folder names they just don't make sense! So I can't even get the ones that I want.