Intel I7 8700k jumping around in temperature

robbanc

Hi! 
Just rebuilt my PC, went from a Corsair Hydro V60 V3 (120mm) to a Corsair Hydro H150i pro (360mm) that i bought from a friend.
With the upgrade i switched to a new powersupply (had a old GS600 series PSU), now im running a CX650M instead (site sold them out). Also upgraded to a M.2 SSD together with my 4 other ones (lol).
Also switched from a Fractal Design Define S case to a white Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic so i could fit this beast of a aio cooler together with more fans for more badass cooling.

Now to the issue in hand, after firing the old bad boy up and thinking "hey lets play some Battlefield 2042 since its out and i got sick ass cooling and new PSU and all" that i noticed that my temperatures where jumping more than a kid on a trampoline in idle and load.
Im going from 30 degrees in idle to 70-90 in prime 95. And when i mean jumping i really mean jumping. From one second to another its jumping between 20 degrees on load. 
So i can sit by the PC, fire up prime 95 and as soon as the stress test loads its up to 70-90 degrees instantly. 
Same goes for games, fired up Battlefield 5 just to try and see what happens in games. And its the same there, the temp spikes right away.
Even in idle the temp can suddenly spike from one core to another (30 to 50 in a millisecond).

Full PC setup:
CPU: i7 8700k on stock clock (plan was to clock the shit out of it... but yeah)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2133mhz CL13
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 
PSU: Corsar CX650M 
Drives: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - OCZ TL100 240GB - Kingston V300 120GB - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB - Samsung 870 Evo 500GB
Case fans: 6 120mm (3 intake and 3 exhaust)

Does anyone have a faintest idea on whats up? Could the pump in the aio cooler be bad? Bad thermal paste? 
The troubleshooting i have done is reseat the pump/cooler and redone the thermal paste and cleaned the surface (used a grain of rice as measurment which i have always done and it has worked before)

Thanks!

It's normal for temps to spike up during usage but temps are too high for stock speeds with such a cooler. Are you sure that the cpu is running at stock speeds or are you just using default motherboard settings?

There may be a Multicore Enhancement setting which is effectively an auto-oc often enabled by default. 

What's the thermal paste spread look like? Make sure that the cooling block is gradually and fully tightened in cross pattern instead of one side before the other. 

What rpm is the pump running at?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's normal for temps to spike up during usage but temps are too high for stock speeds with such a cooler. Are you sure that the cpu is running at stock speeds or are you just using default motherboard settings?

There may be a Multicore Enhancement setting which is effectively an auto-oc often enabled by default. 

What's the thermal paste spread look like? Make sure that the cooling block is gradually and fully tightened in cross pattern instead of one side before the other. 

What rpm is the pump running at?

Its stock speed (stock by manufacturer) it boosts to 4,6 ghz during the stress test and stays there. I have not touched any voltage or similar,
So maybe as you say the Multicore Enhancement setting is on, but still if that were the case i would not expect that spike and for it to hold around 80 degrees with this cooler.

The spread seems to be even across the CPU, the layer is not to thick and not to thin. I cross pattern tightened the cooling block as one would normallt do. Though i do think it took to easy to be "tightened". Im using the same "backplate" that came from the H60 V3 since i assumed it would fit for the 1151 socket. Maybe the H150 backplate bracket is shorter and can be tightened down more? 
The pump according to ICUE4 seems to be running at 1040-1060rpm

15 minutes ago, robbanc said:

Its stock speed (stock by manufacturer) it boosts to 4,6 ghz during the stress test and stays there. 

The spread seems to be even across the CPU, the layer is not to thick and not to thin. I cross pattern tightened the cooling block as one would normallt do. Though i do think it took to easy to be "tightened". Im using the same "backplate" that came from the H60 V3 since i assumed it would fit for the 1151 socket. Maybe the H150 backplate bracket is shorter and can be tightened down more? 

All-core boost at stock speeds should be 4.3ghz. Any higher is probably using an enhanced turbo. 

1.2v or less should be fine for stock speeds. Default voltage left at Auto is often higher than necessary for stock speeds and results in higher temps. 

The thermal paste can't be too thin unless there isn't any. Optimally, there should be just enough paste to fill the gaps and as much direct cooler to cpu contact as possible. 

The coolers seem to use different mounting backplates so you should use the mounting hardware included with the H150i Pro RGB. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

All-core boost at stock speeds should be 4.3ghz. Any higher is probably using an enhanced turbo. 

1.2v or less should be fine for stock speeds. Default voltage left at Auto is often higher than necessary for stock speeds and results in higher temps. 

The thermal paste can't be too thin unless there isn't any. Optimally, there should be just enough paste to fill the gaps and as much direct cooler to cpu contact as possible. 

The coolers seem to use different mounting backplates so you should use the mounting hardware included with the H150i Pro RGB. 

I just researched the 8700k and its the turbo thats kicking it up to 4,6ghz. The voltage was at a maximum at around 1.4v.
Yeah i know that more voltage and higher speeds result in higher temperatures. But when i was running the H60 V3 it was running at 60-65 degrees under load. 
Was using Schythe Gentle Typhoon fans doing PnP. Now im using 3 fans drawing air from the surroundings in to the case, 3 fans at the bottom drawing in to the case aswell and then 3 fans for exhaust on the "side".

Ye i get your point. Lifted the pump and its perfectly flush covering the entire cpu. 
It might be correct as you say that there are different backplates. The block feels to be "tightened" but might not be enough? I mean can the temps be affected that much just from being tightened just abit more? 

7 hours ago, robbanc said:

I just researched the 8700k and its the turbo thats kicking it up to 4,6ghz. The voltage was at a maximum at around 1.4v.

Ye i get your point. Lifted the pump and its perfectly flush covering the entire cpu. 
It might be correct as you say that there are different backplates. The block feels to be "tightened" but might not be enough? I mean can the temps be affected that much just from being tightened just abit more? 

4.6ghz is the turbo for a single boosting core. 1.4v is very high for stock speeds and explains your temps. 

Yes, temps can be greatly affected by mounting pressure since that affects how much contact the cooler has with the cpu.