New mechanical keyboard reccomendations

I would like to build a new mechancial keyboard my current keyboard is the corsair k70 mk2, with silvers. Im in the market for a new keyboard but the prices seem a little nuts to me. I would like to build a keyboard from the 150 - 200 canadian dollar range. I think I want my keyboard to have either gateron ink blacks or ink yellows, and a hotswap pcb would be preferable. 

4 hours ago, Yoyohoneywasp said:

I would like to build a new mechancial keyboard my current keyboard is the corsair k70 mk2, with silvers. Im in the market for a new keyboard but the prices seem a little nuts to me. I would like to build a keyboard from the 150 - 200 canadian dollar range. I think I want my keyboard to have either gateron ink blacks or ink yellows, and a hotswap pcb would be preferable. 

Ahhh I've met up in the same place I think! 😂 I was thinking I would go for the SteelSeries Apex 3 which looks pretty fast to me! I'm not so sure how much it costs if its in dollars but as I'm in U.K its just £60 on Amazon

I'm on the same hunt. Thinking about MSI Vigor GK50, with Kailh Blues... Never had a mech before (using dome rubber right now) so I have no reference other than Cherry good, Kailh pretty good. That's what I gather from LTT videos. Since I'm the ultimate MSI fan girl figured I'd start with that.

Hey there.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, Yoyohoneywasp said:

I would like to build a new mechancial keyboard ... from the 150 - 200 canadian dollar range. I think I want my keyboard to have either gateron ink blacks or ink yellows, and a hotswap pcb would be preferable.

Note: Unless specified, prices below will be in USD, not CAD.

Hm. CAD$150 - $200 is around USD$120 - $160. Recommending keyboard kits without knowing your preferences (e.g. size, material, RGB, mounting, other gimmicks) makes the exercise a bit of a shot in the dark. Regardless, below is a non-comprehensive list for the under $160 range (not accounting for shipping, taxes, import duties):

• GMMK Barebones ($70 from Glorious): Full-Sized / TKL / Compact Layout. Hot-Swappable. Aluminum Faceplate, Plastic Bottom. RGB. Proprietary Software.
    • Only compatible with 3-pin switches. Gateron Inks are 5-pin switches, but may be modded to irreversibly convert them to 3-pin switches.
  • Epomaker GK108 / GK108S ($89+ from Epomaker): Full-Sized Layout. Hot-Swappable. Plastic ABS Chassis. RGB. Bluetooth Connectivity. Proprietary Software.
    • Compatible with both 5-pin and 3-pin switches.
  • Epomaker GK96X / GK96XS ($89+ from Epomaker): 1800 Layout. Southpaw Layouts Available. Hot-Swappable. Plastic ABS Chassis. RGB. Bluetooth Connectivity. Proprietary Software.
    • Southpaw layouts have the numpad to the left of the keyboard.
  • Keydous NJ80 ($95 from Drop): 75% Layout. Hot-Swappable. Plastic Chassis. RGB. Bluetooth Connectivity. Rotary Knob.
    • ETA Shipping: January, 2022. Drop has notoriously long wait-times for pre-order items.
  • Keychron Q1 ($149 from Keychron): 75% Layout. Hot-Swappable. Gasket-Mounted. Aluminum Chassis. QMK/VIA Compatible. RGB.
    • QMK / VIA compatibility will allow any key to be re-programmed to any other key / function / macro, and can accomodate multiple layers on one board.
  • IDOBAO ID87 ($159 from IDOBAO): TKL Layout. Hot-Swappable. Aluminum Chassis. QMK Compatible.
    • QMK compatibility will allow any key to be re-programmed to any other key / function / macro, and can accomodate multiple layers on one board.

Note that Gateron Ink Blacks / Ink Yellows will run you about $0.75 - $0.85 per; so, around $45+ for 60+ switches (Compact), $60+ for 80+ switches (TKL), or $75+ for 100+ switches (Full-Sized). For Canadian vendors that carry Gateron Inks:

If you'd like a list of Canadian vendors for custom keebs and keeb parts:

The vendors above carry a decent selection of keyboard kits, switches, and custom keeb parts / tools beyond what's already been mentioned above. Taking a look at their inventory might give you a idea of what's currently available and/or currently popular. If you'd like a more comprehensive list of vendors, https://keebvendorlist.com/ has a list.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

16 hours ago, Punk Rock Princess said:

I'm on the same hunt. Thinking about MSI Vigor GK50, with Kailh Blues... Never had a mech before (using dome rubber right now) so I have no reference other than Cherry good, Kailh pretty good. That's what I gather from LTT videos. Since I'm the ultimate MSI fan girl figured I'd start with that.

Switches for mechanical keyboard have come a very long way in the last couple years. Cherry in many peoples mind including linuses is no longer the gold standard