Radeon R9 390 8GB Problem

KoczkaG

Hello!

I have the Gigabyte G1 Gaming version of the mentioned card, and I have problems with it. It works fine, as I'm using basic apps in Windows, but as I start a game, a few minutes in, and the system reboots. It gets hot even when idle, so I took the card apart, and repasted it, but it didn't help much unfortunately. I DDU-d it, and installed fresh drivers, but it brought no inprovement. If I lower the power limit in Afterburner to -50% it works better, even in games, and the core clock stays at 300 MHz opposed to the 1060 MHz base clock it should have. But if I raise the power limits mid game, the clock speed starts to rise, and in a few minutes in it reboots the PC.
Is there something I could do to make it work again?

Thanks in advance

12 minutes ago, KoczkaG said:

Hello!

I have the Gigabyte G1 Gaming version of the mentioned card, and I have problems with it. It works fine, as I'm using basic apps in Windows, but as I start a game, a few minutes in, and the system reboots. It gets hot even when idle, so I took the card apart, and repasted it, but it didn't help much unfortunately. I DDU-d it, and installed fresh drivers, but it brought no inprovement. If I lower the power limit in Afterburner to -50% it works better, even in games, and the core clock stays at 300 MHz opposed to the 1060 MHz base clock it should have. But if I raise the power limits mid game, the clock speed starts to rise, and in a few minutes in it reboots the PC.
Is there something I could do to make it work again?

Thanks in advance

So based on everything you have said so far, it most definitely is overheating. Since repasting it didn't work I would first of all clean the heatsink from any dust, and while you are at it check if the GPU fans are actually spinning while gaming.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, tried it with default profile, then turned the fans to 100%, but the problem remained.(The fans work, plenty of air comes out of the GPU). The heatsink is reasonably clean

If I can recall correctly those GPU are especially sensitive to mounting pressure and absolutely proper paste application. Can you see with hwinfo exactly what's getting too hot? Use something like furmark to heat it up while monitoring.

5 minutes ago, KoczkaG said:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, tried it with default profile, then turned the fans to 100%, but the problem remained.(The fans work, plenty of air comes out of the GPU). The heatsink is reasonably clean

What type of paste did you use? Can you use Hwinfo or something to read what part of the GPU is getting hot?

I tried furmark, but it crashed almost instantly using default settings, but when I lowered the power limit, it would be fine, but it would lock to 300 MHz. At fans 100% running, nothing really went above 70C as I saw, but it rebooted the system 😕 I used the Zalman zm-stc8 paste

25 minutes ago, KoczkaG said:

I tried furmark, but it crashed almost instantly using default settings, but when I lowered the power limit, it would be fine, but it would lock to 300 MHz. At fans 100% running, nothing really went above 70C as I saw, but it rebooted the system 😕 I used the Zalman zm-stc8 paste

See what data hwinfo can give you about the card when it is running furmark at low power.

What PSU u have?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.