overclocking 3900X via Ryzen Master

HI guys.

Now I watched some yt video where a JayZ is telling that on some boards is possible to OC this CPU per something called CCX and per Core (it was Dark Hero MoBo).

Now I'm not sure what does it means and dunno how could I do this,any tutorial is more then a welcome.

I'm no Crossahair Hero VIII non Dark.

I've OC manually, I think I set currently 1.25 V and 42X multiplier and I have stable sistem.

Is is possible to achieve better results via OC per core,CCX etc..?

Is it really worth messing with this?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Honestly dont bother with cpu oc, it has been dead for quite awhile cause no headroom on newer platforms

Just run 1.25 or 1.3v and see what the highest freq you can achieve is, focus more on ram oc rather than cpu oc cause it doesnt shoot power will through the roof

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Honestly dont bother with cpu oc, it has been dead for quite awhile cause no headroom on newer platforms

Just run 1.25 or 1.3v and see what the highest freq you can achieve is, focus more on ram oc rather than cpu oc cause it doesnt shoot power will through the roof

Highest but stable is with 1.25 V with 4.2 GHz on all cores,tried 4.3 GHz but it crashed even in CB.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Highest but stable is with 1.25 V with 4.2 GHz on all cores,tried 4.3 GHz but it crashed even in CB.

What about 1.3 or 1.35?

Maybe your cpu efficiency peak is closer to those volts

My e8400 does 4.3 at 1.34v and thats pretty much its efficiency peak, 4.4 i think needs ~1.42-1.45

I have a 3900X myself, and personally I've never felt the need to overclock, it's fast enough as is without fucking around with it. You could technically gain a few percentage points in multicore performance by doing an all core overclock, but really we're talking within 10 percent here if that, and more often than not you'll end up limiting your single threaded/limited threaded boost clocks, and at that point I just don't deem it worth it. 

"Now I'm not sure what does it means and dunno how could I do this,any tutorial is more then a welcome." That's pretty much your answer right there. If you don't know what you're doing, don't fuck with it. Any difference you might see would ne negligible in the best of cases, and damaging to components in the worst. 3000 series really doesn't have much if any overclocking headroom at all. 5000 series has a bit more, but even then these chips are all fast enough at stock settings that I personally just wouldn't bother. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

Ditch Ryzen Master, do it in bios.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 hours ago, Coachdude said:

I have a 3900X myself, and personally I've never felt the need to overclock, it's fast enough as is without fucking around with it. You could technically gain a few percentage points in multicore performance by doing an all core overclock, but really we're talking within 10 percent here if that, and more often than not you'll end up limiting your single threaded/limited threaded boost clocks, and at that point I just don't deem it worth it. 

"Now I'm not sure what does it means and dunno how could I do this,any tutorial is more then a welcome." That's pretty much your answer right there. If you don't know what you're doing, don't fuck with it. Any difference you might see would ne negligible in the best of cases, and damaging to components in the worst. 3000 series really doesn't have much if any overclocking headroom at all. 5000 series has a bit more, but even then these chips are all fast enough at stock settings that I personally just wouldn't bother. 

oh okay.I agree with it.I won't bother...it's just I'm bored and my OCD tells me I need to squeeze every 1% of performance out of it.

What are your temps,idle and lets say when running Cinebench r23?

The stock boost is 4.6GHz so most likely not worth it to run it 4.2GHz in most applications.

36 minutes ago, frozensun said:

oh okay.I agree with it.I won't bother...it's just I'm bored and my OCD tells me I need to squeeze every 1% of performance out of it.

What are your temps,idle and lets say when running Cinebench r23?

So I use a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 cpu cooler. Idle temps fluctuate between ~35-40 celsius depending on ambient. When running Cinebench R23 temps hover around ~76 celsius. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

2 hours ago, Coachdude said:

So I use a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 cpu cooler. Idle temps fluctuate between ~35-40 celsius depending on ambient. When running Cinebench R23 temps hover around ~76 celsius. 

same like me...and there were a guy here telling me I have a bad cooler..forgot his name here.

9 hours ago, frozensun said:

HI guys.

Now I watched some yt video where a JayZ is telling that on some boards is possible to OC this CPU per something called CCX and per Core (it was Dark Hero MoBo).

Now I'm not sure what does it means and dunno how could I do this,any tutorial is more then a welcome.

I'm no Crossahair Hero VIII non Dark.

I've OC manually, I think I set currently 1.25 V and 42X multiplier and I have stable sistem.

Is is possible to achieve better results via OC per core,CCX etc..?

Is it really worth messing with this?

The nice thing about Ryzen master is that you can increase the EDC on the fly. Watch this at load. If it's reaching 99%, you could increase it and the Cpu will boost a little better. You may need to enable PBO to do so however, but that's how you get performance. I use the Gaming tab with my 2700X, but it always looks different on other people's motherboards for whatever reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

But I've seen posts that t some  guys managed to achieve 4.3 GHz on all cores claiming it's stable too,with not so high voltage.

I have good board,probably enough cooling I really wish I could achieve the same but dunno the procedure how to try it..

Help is appreciated.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, Coachdude said:

So what clock are you running your 3900X?

6 hours ago, frozensun said:

So what clock are you running your 3900X?

I'm running it at stock. And stock clocks range from ~4GHz to 4.6GHz depending on how many cores are loaded. Game clocks ( Battlefield 5 since it's a semi-cpu intensive game ) runs at about 4.2, for instance. In cinebench multicore, it usually runs around 4 GHz on all cores. 

Main PC :

2 minutes ago, Coachdude said:

I'm running it at stock. And stock clocks range from ~4GHz to 4.6GHz depending on how many cores are loaded. Game clocks ( Battlefield 5 since it's a semi-cpu intensive game ) runs at about 4.2, for instance. In cinebench multicore, it usually runs around 4 GHz on all cores. 

What is your stock voltage,at stock the board is running 1.46 V,and we have same board....too nigh, now I didn't want to risk flashing the most recent BIOS cuz you can not revert back in case my RAM gives me issues (not in QVL list).I know safe boot bla bla...but issues.

So what is your voltage supplied by same board?

29 minutes ago, frozensun said:

What is your stock voltage,at stock the board is running 1.46 V,and we have same board....too nigh, now I didn't want to risk flashing the most recent BIOS cuz you can not revert back in case my RAM gives me issues (not in QVL list).I know safe boot bla bla...but issues.

So what is your voltage supplied by same board?

So HWinfo records a max stock voltage reading of 1.5 volts, which is expected during light workloads. If I'm running Cinebench R23, the voltage drops to around 1.244 to 1.275 and it fluctuates between these values throughout the run. AMD themselves have confirmed that voltages of up to 1.5 are completely safe and by design, so I really wouldn't worry about it. 

Here is the reddit thread I was referring to. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Main PC :

2 hours ago, Coachdude said:

So HWinfo records a max stock voltage reading of 1.5 volts, which is expected during light workloads. If I'm running Cinebench R23, the voltage drops to around 1.244 to 1.275 and it fluctuates between these values throughout the run. AMD themselves have confirmed that voltages of up to 1.5 are completely safe and by design, so I really wouldn't worry about it. 

Here is the reddit thread I was referring to. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

I know about that thread but I totally disagree with AMD.Electronics is my hobby so my thought is that even 1.4 V is way to high for microprocessor.
I know I didn't let my CPU to go around 1.45 V because I find it too high so I undervolted it.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

I know about that thread but I totally disagree with AMD.Electronics is my hobby so my thought is that even 1.4 V is way to high for microprocessor.
I know I didn't let my CPU to go around 1.45 V because I find it too high so I undervolted it.

Well AMD designs the chips, and they guarantee it to operate within the parameters they specify. That's their job. Having hobbies is fun of course, but I would never claim to know more than the people who designed the chips themselves regarding voltage and tolerance behavior. In my opinion as long as you're running within stock conditions you've got nothing to worry about. 

Main PC :

27 minutes ago, Coachdude said:

Well AMD designs the chips, and they guarantee it to operate within the parameters they specify. That's their job. Having hobbies is fun of course, but I would never claim to know more than the people who designed the chips themselves regarding voltage and tolerance behavior. In my opinion as long as you're running within stock conditions you've got nothing to worry about. 

Haven't you ever tought they designed so your chip dies wih too much of voltage so you can buy new one.
Apple designed iphone 12 but you can not repair anything on it,so you would need to buy another phone.
You keep yours at that voltage and me mine at 1.25 V and see you in 3 years 🙂
Do you rememeber any chip going higher then around 1.35 V..but then again this is 12-core CPU...dunno I don't trust too much to anyone except me,my opinion is that the stock voltage is too high and that is it.
This is my opinion,maybe it is wrong but I like to keep things my own way,it's the way I am.

38 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Haven't you ever tought they designed so your chip dies wih too much of voltage so you can buy new one.
Apple designed iphone 12 but you can not repair anything on it,so you would need to buy another phone.
You keep yours at that voltage and me mine at 1.25 V and see you in 3 years 🙂
Do you rememeber any chip going higher then around 1.35 V..but then again this is 12-core CPU...dunno I don't trust too much to anyone except me,my opinion is that the stock voltage is too high and that is it.
This is my opinion,maybe it is wrong but I like to keep things my own way,it's the way I am.

I respect your opinion of course, it's your hardware, you do what you want to with it. =) Planned obsolescence is definitely a real thing, but I doubt it has much to do with voltage tolerances of silicon. I've had both Intel and AMD chips in the past, and they still work years later, I don't see this 3900x being any different. 

Main PC :