Framerate drops on Lenovo Legion 7i 11800H, RTX3080

Terabitman
Go to solution Solved by Terabitman,

Like an idiot I figured it out 10 minutes after I posted. It's the fricking antivirus. turned it off and it's magically stable. Youtube and all. 

I'm kind of frustrated with this issue, been beating my head on it for a couple days. Certain games that aren't even stressing the GPU much see massive framrate drops. One in particular is Crossout, which being a competitive game having hiccups can be difference in making a shot or not. It can output 300 FPS fine but there's constant dips. I've tried V-sync on and off, I've tried limiting the FPS in the game to the monitor refresh rate (120FPS), unlimited framerate, so on and so forth. GPU usage shows averaging around 35%, and it seems to dip down when framerates drop. but why is it dipping is what I don't understand. It's not overheating, I don't think, GPU temp settles around 54C.

I have the profile in Lenovo Vantage set to Performance, Hybrid mode is Off. I put in 2x 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 drives, SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB

And I know I'm gonna get told don't do this, but having Chrome open and playing a Youtube video makes it much worse. Thing is, I feel like this computer should be able to handle that. GPU usage is still only maxing at 54% in that scenario. I don't understand why it's dipping.

I turned off the Xbox gameplay recorder and the Nvidia overlay, so I don't think it's a disk related problem. I'm tempted to try turning off the pagefile. Maybe undervolt the CPU? Not sure what else to do.

monitor.jpg

If you want the best performance, it doesnt matter what you think it should be able to handle, Get off youtube and chrome. Its also a laptop CPU,  and a 3080 is gonna be more thermally limited (even with the gpu having decent thermals here). Test it out without chrome and youtube open and see if its better, if so you know what it is.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

If you want the best performance, it doesnt matter what you think it should be able to handle, Get off youtube and chrome. Its also a laptop CPU,  and a 3080 is gonna be more thermally limited (even with the gpu having decent thermals here). Test it out without chrome and youtube open and see if its better, if so you know what it is.

Not helpful. did you even read the whole thing?

Like an idiot I figured it out 10 minutes after I posted. It's the fricking antivirus. turned it off and it's magically stable. Youtube and all.