Accidental damage to Mother Board Aorus B450 Elite

Haxious

While installing something on my motherboard, There was this little screw that was a tad too tight, which of course made me hit this lil fella right there circled in red in my attachment, it slightly shifted and moved like if the solder gave up, since then my internet went from 500mb/s to just 10mb/s.

I don't know if this is the controller for the on board adapter but at this point I think I'm doomed

Is there something that can be done?

81qCHHY2XaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like a solderable part.  Are you or someone you know experienced with soldering?  

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

15 minutes ago, Bigun said:

Looks like a solderable part.  Are you or someone you know experienced with soldering?  

I do know basic soldering, could give it a try but I have no idea what I'm dealing with here. 

Update, The part was broken, Just put a jumper so it had contact (Piece of aluminum) With some electrical tape to pressure it down.

Download and upload streams back to gigabit 

37 minutes ago, Haxious said:

Update, The part was broken, Just put a jumper so it had contact (Piece of aluminum) With some electrical tape to pressure it down.

Download and upload streams back to gigabit 

That part would be a quartz crystal in a HC-49 package (clock source for a microcontroller thats adjacent to it). They tend to be quite susceptible to mechanical shock which can cause them to fail. Can you take some photo's of the text that is on the top of it? It might be possible to get an exact replacement or at the very least pullup the datasheet to find a compatible part. They tend to be very easy to solder on and off, especially in that package since they're only two pins.

I am assuming its a through hole (pins/solder joints come through the back of board) since I dont see anything that looks like solder tabs for surface mount.

Edit: Also take photos of any other text/markings on it.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Agreed with the above post.  Should be able to buy an aftermarket part, desolder old, solder in new, and test.  Post a pic of the markings on the part.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

11 hours ago, trag1c said:

That part would be a quartz crystal in a HC-49 package (clock source for a microcontroller thats adjacent to it). They tend to be quite susceptible to mechanical shock which can cause them to fail. Can you take some photo's of the text that is on the top of it? It might be possible to get an exact replacement or at the very least pullup the datasheet to find a compatible part. They tend to be very easy to solder on and off, especially in that package since they're only two pins.

I am assuming its a through hole (pins/solder joints come through the back of board) since I dont see anything that looks like solder tabs for surface mount.

Edit: Also take photos of any other text/markings on it.

Even with the part name I was unable to find the correct HC49 Quartz crystal for it, A250F9H, was unable to find anything for those values.

For a replacement I would need to know what the mhz is for this piece, for the time being the temporal fix is doing work

2 hours ago, Bigun said:

Agreed with the above post.  Should be able to buy an aftermarket part, desolder old, solder in new, and test.  Post a pic of the markings on the part.

A beginner is not gonna be able to do that, period. Soldering on and off to a PC motherboard is no easy task. $5 soldering iron is not the tool for that job either.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

46 minutes ago, Levent said:

A beginner is not gonna be able to do that, period. Soldering on and off to a PC motherboard is no easy task. $5 soldering iron is not the tool for that job either.

It depends, if it's a surface mount component, yes, you are correct.  If it goes completely through the board, I think a beginner can handle it.

- Radium_Angel

That also depends on "How" it's soldered to the board.
If it has legs that can be seen it's solderable without much trouble whether on or through the board, a tiny spot of soldering will reattach it and if all else is OK (None of the traces to it are ripped out) it should be OK afterwards. Even if you coudn't see the legs (Underneath) it's possible to do with an airwand but you have to know what you're doing with that kind of work.

However I do agree it's something a $5 soldering pen shoudn't be used for.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

20 hours ago, Bigun said:

It depends, if it's a surface mount component, yes, you are correct.  If it goes completely through the board, I think a beginner can handle it.

Nope, a beginner wont have a decent high wattage temperature controlled soldering iron to desolder that. Motherboards take A LOT of heat. Once again, this is not a task for a beginner.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just know I'm not arguing with you on this because in most cases you are correct BUT when I started I had a soldering station with temp control.
I agree this kind of work needs this kind of equipment and that's why I too say a $5 soldering pen just won't cut it.
It's a simple job but you need the right tool for it.

I wasn't clear about it so that's on me.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Is it still under warranty? If so report it as faulty and see if they will repair or replace (don't mention your accident)

I do have professional equipment at work, will try getting a replacement and doing the solder there, thanks for the tips