Cheap and strange 7.1 Surround Sound request -will my solution work?

kingknightrider

I got a request from someone on devising a 7.1 surround sound system for under $250.

NOTE: They have a few rules:

1. Only 3.5 jacks BUT No motherboard audio.

They have been burned so many times they want nothing to do with it.

2. Speakers must have a sub-woofer with direct control on the speaker.

3. Total must be under $260.

So I started looking around but could find no 7.1 sound system that would fit this for under $350 at the least.

So my solution is kind of.... weird but here it is:

1. First -get an HDMI cable and connect it to the Graphics card HDMI port.

2. Connect the other HDMI cable end to a:

Monoprice BlackbirdTM 4K Series 7.1 HDMI Audio Extractor:

3. Connect the following into the Front Left and Right connection:

Logitech Z623 - get fronts and sub-woofer out of the way supposedly.

4. Connect three of the following:

Creative Pebble 2.0 USB-Powered Desktop Speakers with Far-Field Drivers and Passive Radiators

To the Front Center, Rear Left and Right and Rear Center Left and Right.

5. Then use a USB wall charging station to power all the USB.

This gets the price to about $255 with shipping and handling.

NOTE: The center, side and rear speaker(s) will consist of TWO speakers instead of one.

So the center will have two, left and right side will have two and rear will also have two speakers.

Which will mean that in total it will consist of 12 speakers and a sub-woofer.

My concern is threefold:
1. Will this cause an echo from the dual speakers on the center, sides and rear?

2. Will it also duplicate the sound leading to reverberation?

3. Will this even work?

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

Do you want this to sound good?

Id try to get used stuff. A used reciever should be pretty cheap, and then they can decode hdmi autio, and get used/cheap bookshelf speakers. Should sound much better and be cheaper.

I think those cheap speakers won't sound great.

Those cheap usb powered speakers will work with the right adapters, but it won't be great sounding, and probalby not match the mids. Also why get so many? Just use one for each channel. Your probalby gonna need a lot of adapters here.

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want this to sound good?

Id try to get used stuff. A used reciever should be pretty cheap, and then they can decode hdmi autio, and get used/cheap bookshelf speakers. Should sound much better and be cheaper.

I think those cheap speakers won't sound great.

Those cheap usb powered speakers will work with the right adapters, but it won't be great sounding, and probalby not match the mids. Also why get so many? Just use one for each channel. Your probalby gonna need a lot of adapters here.

The pebbles come as a pair connected by a 3.5 and sound better than default Red Dragons of similar price.

At least if sound tests on Youtube are any comparison.

I would get single speakers but can't find single speakers with 3.5 for $40 or less.

Don't know why they require it be 3.5 period.

I don't understand why so many adapters will be needed this is the extractor:

61o66Ryu3RL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

So straight from the GPU HDMI-IN (other side) > 3.5 from speakers connect here and sound...

Or am I missing something?

Current computers:

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CPU:

Motherboard:

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

For this budget at the very least get a good center channel. If you have a center channel it is the most important speaker in the whole setup. Everything on screen is going to be coming out of the center channel. Cheap out on anything else, but don't cheap out on the center channel.

I'd bet for this tight of a budget a 2.1 (front left, front right, sub) or 3.1 (front left, front right, center, sub) setup with good speakers is going to sound much better than a 7.1 with bargain bin speakers. 7.1 surround is not going to be an immersive experience when everything sounds like it's coming from mid-range laptop speakers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 minutes ago, kingknightrider said:

The pebbles come as a pair connected by a 3.5 and sound better than default Red Dragons of similar price.

At least if sound tests on Youtube are any comparison.

I would get single speakers but can't find single speakers with 3.5 for $40 or less.

Don't know why they require it be 3.5 period.

I don't understand why so many adapters will be needed this is the extractor:

61o66Ryu3RL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

So straight from the GPU HDMI-IN (other side) > 3.5 from speakers connect here and sound...

Or am I missing something?

Do you really need 7.1? A good stero system will sound so much better than this will. Those speakers won't be great.

You can use 3 of the pebbles  connected to the oether channels, and just ignore the subwooffer channel. The logitech speaker won't use the lfe/subwoofer channel

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you really need 7.1? A good stero system will sound so much better than this will. Those speakers won't be great.

You can use 3 of the pebbles  connected to the oether channels, and just ignore the subwooffer channel. The logitech speaker won't use the lfe/subwoofer channel

I don't doubt it -just trying to fit the best I can find in what they want in the budget they have.

Personally I am fine with 5.1 Logitech Z506 -I have no complaints.

Ah the Logitech 623 would use the sub-woofer in the FL FR right?

This person has been using the same sound system as me except it is now failing.

And I quote: "5.1 isn't cutting it anymore -time to go 7.1" but they want to keep the 3.5 jack.

Current computers:

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CPU:

Motherboard:

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

For this budget at the very least get a good center channel. If you have a center channel it is the most important speaker in the whole setup. Everything on screen is going to be coming out of the center channel. Cheap out on anything else, but don't cheap out on the center channel.

I'd bet for this tight of a budget a 2.1 (front left, front right, sub) or 3.1 (front left, front right, center, sub) setup with good speakers is going to sound much better than a 7.1 with bargain bin speakers. 7.1 surround is not going to be an immersive experience when everything sounds like it's coming from mid-range laptop speakers.

Are there any center channel speakers that have a 3.5 jack instead of the wires?

I don't know why but they seem to have this aversion to wire type speakers...

I think I will ask them tomorrow why.

Current computers:

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CPU:

Motherboard:

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, kingknightrider said:

Ah the Logitech 623 would use the sub-woofer in the FL FR right?

Well the speakers are made to pull the sound out of the l and r, not use a seperate subwoofer channel.

So bass won't work well with this setup

4 minutes ago, kingknightrider said:

And I quote: "5.1 isn't cutting it anymore -time to go 7.1" but they want to keep the 3.5 jack.

Why do they want a 3.5 jack? All the good surround sound setups don't use 3.5, it was made for cheap speakers

What speakers do they have now? Getting better speakers will be a much better improvement than adding 2 channels.

Or get headphones, much better for directional audio.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well the speakers are made to pull the sound out of the l and r, not use a seperate subwoofer channel.

So bass won't work well with this setup

Why do they want a 3.5 jack? All the good surround sound setups don't use 3.5, it was made for cheap speakers

What speakers do they have now? Getting better speakers will be a much better improvement than adding 2 channels.

Or get headphones, much better for directional audio.

Strange... I saw the Z623 had subwoofer and two speakers but one green 3.5 jack.

I assumed since it was of that design the subwoofer would work via those channels.

I don't know why they are so bent on 3.5.

Every time i bring it up and they act very strange... almost as if its personal or something.

They are using the same system as me: Logitech Z506.

Current computers:

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CPU:

Motherboard:

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler