Where to go from here for new releases?

Hello everyone, i am currently looking forward to upgrading my current rig with an upgrade due to multiple issues ( XMP profile boot looping my computer )  and help in various new workloads

( mainly emulation @120 FPS and new games like bf2042 and forza 5 )

I do not have a specific budget, although for now it would be max 600 €  i'll just be working towards the goal overtime. 

My current objective is to be able to run my games at 1080 ( later upgrade to 1440P with LG monitor ) 144-160hz.

At first i thought about going for a ryzen 5600x although a new mobo and 10% uplift in 1440P sounds a bit low and expensive at 550€ the upgrade.

The new intel CPU's are pretty good although the performance seems to come from DDR5 and W11 scheduler and the price to upgrade is too high.

the i9 9900K is too much of a furnace to cool off..

My ram might be too old?

GPU is not a planned upgrade.

Current Gaming Rig :

CPU : I5 9600K ( with noctua NHD15S ) 

RAM : 16 Gigs of HyperX DDR4 3200 MHz CL18 ( UDIMM ? kit ) 

Motherboard : Asus Prime Z390-A

GPU : RTX 2080 XC EVGA 

NVM-E boot SSD : Samsung 970 EVO + 500GIG

Flower power 850W PSU

BENQ 144 HZ 1080P monitor + auxilary 60Hz 

Multiple other storage devices for games mainly samsung 860 EVO SSD and HDD 

Only thing I'd consider upgrading to right now would be Alder Lake, so the 12600k. You can run it with DDR4, so the cost of DDR5 isn't an issue. It would be at the upper limit of what you'd be willing to spend, but it's the only thing I'd saw would be worth upgrading to.

That said, Black Friday is coming up, so you might be able to score an 11600k and board for a really good deal. 

6 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

the i9 9900K is too much of a furnace to cool off..

You've got an NH-D15. You'd be fine. Only reason I wouldn't recommend them is that they're usually a very bad value used (at least for the prices I've seen them at around me). If you can get one for a good price, it's not a bad upgrade.

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Only thing I'd consider upgrading to right now would be Alder Lake, so the 12600k. You can run it with DDR4, so the cost of DDR5 isn't an issue. It would be at the upper limit of what you'd be willing to spend, but it's the only thing I'd saw would be worth upgrading to.

That said, Black Friday is coming up, so you might be able to score an 11600k and board for a really good deal. 

You've got an NH-D15. You'd be fine. Only reason I wouldn't recommend them is that they're usually a very bad value used (at least for the prices I've seen them at around me). If you can get one for a good price, it's not a bad upgrade.

Hello there~ i did see you comment on some posts, thank you for coming !
I was actually thinking of doing just that, although i wasn't really optimistic going DDR4 with a brand new chip like that.

The performance is mainly coming from DDR5 and win 11 scheduler.

Plus, for the performance difference buying the chip + mobo and DDR5 would be a 1000€ even with kingston's valueram ( 32 gigs 4800MhZ CL40 ) 

600 € without, i am not really sure.. i'll still take it into consideration i would really need to see some benchmarks with 2080 and DDR4.

EDIT : i would also need to consider a new cooler from noctua right? The new LGA 1700 wouldn't be compatible with a NHD15S i believe

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

As much as i think you are right, i still have the S version. And from multiple sources this chip is such a furnace even a NHD-15 has trouble keeping it cool, i don't really wanna give myself the trauma 

i do also have a corsair carbide series case with tons of airflow but i am still scared of that chip.

3 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

The performance is mainly coming from DDR5 and win 11 scheduler.

Windows 11, somewhat, but not so much DDR5, at least depending on the workload. It only improves memory bandwidth, but for gaming and a lot of desktop workloads, latency is what matters, and the latency is roughly equal on good DDR4 and average DDR5. I get not wanting to switch to Windows 11, I personally will run Windows 10 into the ground and switch full time to Linux before running Windows 11, but even on Windows 10 the performance is still really good. GN did their review of Alder Lake on Windows 10 and it still trampled the 5600x and most other CPUs. 

8 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

As much as i think you are right, i still have the S version. And from multiple sources this chip is such a furnace even a NHD-15 has trouble keeping it cool, i don't really wanna give myself the trauma

I know guy running a 9700k (so most of the same thermal output) on a Hyper 212, and his temps are fine. Granted, he's at stock speeds, but still, as long as you don't enable MCE or overclock the snot out of it, the 9900k should run just fine on the NH-D15.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Windows 11, somewhat, but not so much DDR5, at least depending on the workload. It only improves memory bandwidth, but for gaming and a lot of desktop workloads, latency is what matters, and the latency is roughly equal on good DDR4 and average DDR5. I get not wanting to switch to Windows 11, I personally will run Windows 10 into the ground and switch full time to Linux before running Windows 11, but even on Windows 10 the performance is still really good. GN did their review of Alder Lake on Windows 10 and it still trampled the 5600x and most other CPUs. 

I know guy running a 9700k (so most of the same thermal output) on a Hyper 212, and his temps are fine. Granted, he's at stock speeds, but still, as long as you don't enable MCE or overclock the snot out of it, the 9900k should run just fine on the NH-D15.

Yeah i am starting to document more and more videos talking about the fact DDR5 is not even that much of a difference actually. What matters right now is that they're a bit too new/expensive and such.

Personally i would rather stick with W10 until it is not supported anymore. However most ( pressing anyway )  issues have more or less been resolved ( somewhat ) from what i've been gathering.

Indeed, the new chip is quite able to handle even a 5800x in some cases.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would still like to enable MCE and XMP at the very least but not starting to deal with voltages manually and such.

I'll take a look at prices see if they're yeeting down the face of the earth with the new release.

Thank you for your answers, i'll still look forward to many other opinions and more answers from you~

Honestly, I think you're rig is fine for these games at 144Hz 1080p. Your GPU will do the heavy lifting, and since it would not make sense to upgrade that, I would just leave the rig as is. Of course, the CPU "bottlenecks" the rest of the rig a bit, but even a 9700K or 9900K isn't going to give you 20% more FPS in most games, at least not 20% more noticeable better performance. So you can check out some comparisons between the 9900K and 9600K, but I think it would be more wise to stay on your current platform for 1 to 2 years and then, when the dust around DDR5 has settled, AMD has it's alternative to Alder Lake out and there is a true competition between these two, then I'd start to look an upgrade.

For now you're good!