Input from gamers please!

VelikiPCguy

I'm looking to buy a good gaming desk for my new PC, and I'm interested in people's opinions re ideal dimensions / features for the desk, especially when it comes to depth.

My previous table was relatively shallow and my monitor sat at a weird angle, which isn't great as I've got back problems and sitting that way for a long time wasn't the best experience. (I'm fairly active now so back is less of an issue, but still ergonomics are an important consideration for me.)

I've read online - and would say this roughly agrees with my own experience as well - that the ideal distance from the monitor should be an arm's length, which in my case is  around 70 - 75cm. The monitor which I'm thinking of getting (the Acer Predator XB273K GP), when placed on its stand, is around 30cm deep, so the table would ideally be around 100cm / 40" deep to achieve an arm's length of depth. Yet most of the ones I've found online are only 30 - 32" deep, and I'm worried that might be a bit too shallow and could force me to sit further back than is ergonomically optimal, or to strain my eyes by sitting too close.

Also, unrelated to depth, how important is the height adjustability, e.g. having those hybrid sitting / standing desks?

Any input / personal preferences / advice would be appreciated 🙂

Sit/Stand desks are amazing and should absolutely be something you think about. I personally use to doubt them until I got first hand experience with them when we got them at my office. I bought one for my home office to use almost immediately. As for desk depth, you don't want it shallow, otherwise you will feel like you're sitting on top of it, but don't want to deep to force you into bad posture when playing competitive games. For me personally, mine is 30 inches deep, but my main monitor is the Samsung Odyssey G7 at 32 inches, so its quite a large monitor and this gives me the optimal viewing experience in all scenarios I feel. So I would look at something no less than 24 inches deep (60cm), but likely nothing more than 30 inches (76cm) for optimal. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

After coming from a desk that was at least 48" wide and 28" in depth, I will say this was pretty small for me. The monitor felt close to my eyes and the tower crammed me in (that's what it felt like at least). Average desk height. I couldn't fit anything more than a 27" monitor and a mid-sized tower on it. 

I custom made my own desk in wood shop that is 60" wide and 36" in depth. The monitor sits at arm's reach from where I am (so hopefully what you said that is the rule of thumb online to place it at is good for my eyes), which I don't know if that is too close or just right from my eyes. The extra depth on a desk table is great if you want to put the monitor back more and move the keyboard up so that you can rest your arms on the desk instead of having the keyboard near the edge. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Absolutely 100% the best most important thing for gaming (especially if your a KB+M gamer) is an adjustable height desk. Getting the angle of your arm correct makes a huge difference. It's not something you really even think about before you've tried an adjustable and experience it. 

Adjustable may well be the way to go.^

But if depth is your issue, get a VESA mount.  My desk is 24" deep (48" wide), and I'm perfectly fine using a 40" monitor.  That's because it's on a floor stand, and there's nothing on my desk.  The overhang is maybe 4" or so--and on the ends where it curves inwards.

If you go adjustable height (motorized, etc)--then clamp-on is probably the way to go (unless you get something with articulating arms). 

This guy is using a 65" with a desk that isn't any deeper than mine.  Proof is in the pudding.

Here's a couple reposts of mine, so you can see what kind of room I have on my desk, with the monitor on a floor stand.

DSC_0511.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG