Cross platform headphones?

berderder

Hi all,

Sorry in advanced if this has been asked a bunch already, I didn't see a thread under search that quite matched.

I've had trouble with the past couple of headsets I've owned being easily compatible with my smart tv, Playstation 4, and PC. Is there something I'm missing here?

Had an old Logitech pair where you would need to download the drivers on the tv for instance (not possible, as far as I know)

And another that really seemed PS4 specific. 

Thanks for any heads up

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Is the Logitech a USB headset? 3.5mm headsets ought to be compatible with everything.

9 minutes ago, Libnk said:

Is the Logitech a USB headset? 3.5mm headsets ought to be compatible with everything.

It's wireless. It would be nice to stick with wireless

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, berderder said:

It's wireless. It would be nice to stick with wireless

What kind of wireless? Bluetooth or proprietary 2.4ghz?

12 hours ago, Libnk said:

What kind of wireless? Bluetooth or proprietary 2.4ghz?

11 hours ago, IPD said:

BT should work with anything, must be 2.4.

It's the Logitech G930 and here's the receiver: https://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Replacement-Receiver-Wireless-Headset/dp/B006WLBEPQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I believe it's just wireless, not bluetooth

• 3 weeks later...

If you just need a wireless headset that works with PC + PS4, that is most wireless headsets out there right now. Just dont get anything Xbox branded (with the exception of the Arctis 7x which works with everything, just not simultaneously so you have to swap the dongle to each device as needed) and as long as it says PS4/PS5 you're good (Arctis 1, 3, 5, 7/7P, 9, Arctis Pro wireless all work. Logitech Pro / Pro X, most of their others should work, Corsair headsets should all work, etc)

Now if you want something that will let you use the headset with the PS4/TV and PC simultaneously there are only a few wireless options. Option 1 is the Arctis Pro Wireless, and option 2 is the Astro A50s. Both come with a wireless base station that has USB, Line in, and optical in. The Arctis also has bluetooth (in addition to wireless). If your TV has an optical out, you can get PS4/TV audio via optical out and then plug into the PC via USB. Switch to the PS4 input and you will now have both audio sources at the same time, and the ability to mix their volumes independently with the chatmix dial. The only downside to this is that the microphone will only work wherever the USB is plugged into (PC in this example), so if you wanna chat on PS4 you'll have to plug in via USB to the PS4. If your TV doesnt have optical out, you may be able to go line out from the TV to line in to the base station. If that doesn't work, then you will have to go optical out from the PS4, but you won't have TV audio specifically and you still wont have a mic on PS4

Hope this helps, wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for so i tried to cover all options. Full disclosure, I recently when through this rabbit hole of trying to get 1 device to work with everything... I tried the Arctis Pro, and both units I tried had very noticeable static coming from the headset when nothing was playing so i returned them. I didn't try the Astros, I ended up settling on a wired solution.... My consoles go into my LG C1 HDMI, then I do optical out of the TV to a Steelseries Gamedac, then gamedac goes USB into my PC. I plug headphones into the gamedac, and have a desk mic (blue yeti) that I use to chat on the PC. This way I can listen to both my TV (any console I am currently using) and my PC (discord / music) at the same time, and change their volumes independently with the gamedac. I just cant chat on console, only on PC

18 hours ago, ohitsluca said:

If you just need a wireless headset that works with PC + PS4, that is most wireless headsets out there right now. Just dont get anything Xbox branded (with the exception of the Arctis 7x which works with everything, just not simultaneously so you have to swap the dongle to each device as needed) and as long as it says PS4/PS5 you're good (Arctis 1, 3, 5, 7/7P, 9, Arctis Pro wireless all work. Logitech Pro / Pro X, most of their others should work, Corsair headsets should all work, etc)

Now if you want something that will let you use the headset with the PS4/TV and PC simultaneously there are only a few wireless options. Option 1 is the Arctis Pro Wireless, and option 2 is the Astro A50s. Both come with a wireless base station that has USB, Line in, and optical in. The Arctis also has bluetooth (in addition to wireless). If your TV has an optical out, you can get PS4/TV audio via optical out and then plug into the PC via USB. Switch to the PS4 input and you will now have both audio sources at the same time, and the ability to mix their volumes independently with the chatmix dial. The only downside to this is that the microphone will only work wherever the USB is plugged into (PC in this example), so if you wanna chat on PS4 you'll have to plug in via USB to the PS4. If your TV doesnt have optical out, you may be able to go line out from the TV to line in to the base station. If that doesn't work, then you will have to go optical out from the PS4, but you won't have TV audio specifically and you still wont have a mic on PS4

Hope this helps, wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for so i tried to cover all options. Full disclosure, I recently when through this rabbit hole of trying to get 1 device to work with everything... I tried the Arctis Pro, and both units I tried had very noticeable static coming from the headset when nothing was playing so i returned them. I didn't try the Astros, I ended up settling on a wired solution.... My consoles go into my LG C1 HDMI, then I do optical out of the TV to a Steelseries Gamedac, then gamedac goes USB into my PC. I plug headphones into the gamedac, and have a desk mic (blue yeti) that I use to chat on the PC. This way I can listen to both my TV (any console I am currently using) and my PC (discord / music) at the same time, and change their volumes independently with the gamedac. I just cant chat on console, only on PC

Thanks for the tips! I've never been a strong audio guy. It'll just take me playing around with the various peripherals and in/out components of my sound systems. For now I have these $15 bluetooth earbuds from Staples to try out my TV and PC bluetooth (had to buy a cheap little bluetooth dongle for my PC). Haven't tested them on the PS4.

But like you said it's important to be able to switch between systems easily (I didn't even think to try and listen to two or more devices at once). For instance pairing and unpairing the earbuds between systems isn't convenient when I bounce back and forth. I will try some of what you said - I would like to have a dedicated nice pair of headphones. I had these almost a decade old Logitech headphones that wouldn't be able to pair with the TV for instance, at least as far as I can tell without being able to do the drivers install on the TV. Don't imagine that's possible. PS4 works but not the TV itself