Do any of you use a security key?

Pickles von Brine

I just got myself some security keys. These things are pretty slick.  Anyone else use one?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

@comander @Pickles von Brine Question, arent you afraid of what would happen if you will lose it?

I have always wanted to get one, but I am always terrified I will lose it. 

Never used one though, so let me know what you think

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

35 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

@comander @Pickles von Brine Question, arent you afraid of what would happen if you will lose it?

I have always wanted to get one, but I am always terrified I will lose it. 

Never used one though, so let me know what you think

Easy, you use two. You place one in a lock box or other secure location [to never be used] and then you keep the other on out to use. If you lose the primary one, You pull out the secondary and use it to null the first. Then replace the primary and put the secondary back in the secure location.

Always have a back-up.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I want one, I'd use it for my Google Account.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Easy, you use two. You place one in a lock box or other secure location [to never be used] and then you keep the other on out to use. If you lose the primary one, You pull out the secondary and use it to null the first. Then replace the primary and put the secondary back in the secure location.

Always have a back-up.

I have 3 keys. One primary for at home, one secondary I can carry with me and a third I keep safe in a lock box. 

@Tamesh16

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

11 minutes ago, comander said:

I'd personally be paranoid enough that I'd probably get 6 (2 different family/friend locations, 1 permanently plugged into my desktop, one permanently on a laptop/tablet, one on a keyring, one on my backup set of keys).

at that point you might as well just use a sync'd 2FA like Authy

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Honestly, I had one but I was so concerned about losing it that I switched off of it. It is a trade off for people who forget and lose stuff easily (like myself lol)

is water wet?

i don't know what I'm doing either...

I use an Authenticator app instead of a physical key for personal things. 

Speaking of which, if you guys have origin accounts 2FA set to email you might want to change it over to an authenticator app. They currently have an issue where verification emails aren’t being sent which could prevent you from logging in. You’d have to get on the phone with support and have them give you backup codes, but using an authentication app doesn’t cause this issue.