Are the Stock Mouse Feet on the G502 Meant to Scratch Really Easily?

HairyChickens

Hi everyone I recently purchased a new G502 and have been very happy with it for the past two weeks. However I noticed the stock mouse feet/glides get scratched really easily and I was wondering if its supposed to be like that or whether its my mouse pad. (I did purchase the mouse pad brand new 2 months ago)

I'm not too fussed about the scratches as my MP510 mouse pad probably causes more friction affecting the glide of the mouse but I just want peace of mind on whether this is fairly normal or there is something I can do.

I'll eventually replace the mouse feet if they do get really bad.

Thanks.

20211102_213235.jpg

20211102_213223.jpg

20211102_213119.jpg

They look scratched up very fast, but as long as they still function correctly you have nothing to worry about. As a side note, cloth mouse pads are easier on the mouse feet.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Photo of the scratches?

I use my G502 directly on the desk and haven't had any issues with it. Just usual expected wear.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

They look scratched up very fast, but as long as they still function correctly you have nothing to worry about. As a side note, cloth mouse pads are easier on the mouse feet.

The MP510 is technically cloth. 

3 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

The MP510 is technically cloth. 

As long as the glide still feels normal, there is no issue here.

Mouse feet are often scratched after their first use.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Photo of the scratches?

I use my G502 directly on the desk and haven't had any issues with it. Just usual expected wear.

See edited post

3 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

See edited post

That looks completely normal to me.

If it's tiny scratches that's just from small bits of dirt, dust, etc. on your mousepad. I'd only be concerned if there are many large gouges you can feel when running your finger over them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Also could there be particles that I don't see on the pad that would be causing the the scratches and how does one clean them off. Do I give the mouse pad a good spankin.....:old-wink:

I did spray it with a can of compressed air a couple of times.

4 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

See edited post

A few light scuffs like that are normal. The feet are soft material so they will pick up minor scuffs over time.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

A few light scuffs like that are normal. The feet are soft material so they will pick up minor scuffs over time.

Yeah, thought so. Just find it unusual there's so much after 2 weeks. Wonder what it will look like after 2 months or 2 years. 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:50 AM, HairyChickens said:

Yeah, thought so. Just find it unusual there's so much after 2 weeks. Wonder what it will look like after 2 months or 2 years. 

Even if it were an issue, replacement feet are easy to source. I've replaced the feet on both the G502s I have (both were apart for switch replacements, so I had the feet off / replaced).

9 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Even if it were an issue, replacement feet are easy to source. I've replaced the feet on both the G502s I have (both were apart for switch replacements, so I had the feet off / replaced).

Any recommendations? Or will a cheapo aliexpress one do just fine?