Should I still be using my old PSU?

Sans
Go to solution Solved by LienusLateTips,
2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

and let the rest explain why.

I'll do so. 

The PSU is an outdated (released 2010), poor quality unit. It's a group regulated unit (meaning the 5V and 12V are regulated together, then averaged out. this is not good for a modern PC), and is well, well past its warranty period. Please don't use it, OP.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

but if it seems to fit normally. it should be okey. 

No, it most likely is very bad for the long term health of that card. The PSU is the last thing you want to say "it should be okey" to, it can blow up your whole system if something has gone wrong.

So last year I built my new PC and with it, I got a CORSAIR CX550 to go with it. I didn't think about it, but would the Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 that came out of my old PC still be viable?

Edit: What I have been using is has been working for my Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2060 Super, I'm looking towards upgrades in the future.

Edited by Sans
added current system specs

20 minutes ago, Sans said:

Thermaltake TR2 RX-850

No.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

PSUs can be used a long time. kinda depends on the quality of it, state of it and if a new standard has changed things. but if it seems to fit normally. it can be okey if you know the quality of it and support newer tech (something about voltage rails and safety features, dealing with spikes etc). notice however, the wattage in different builds can test the PSU if using higher tier or wattage parts.

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

and let the rest explain why.

I'll do so. 

The PSU is an outdated (released 2010), poor quality unit. It's a group regulated unit (meaning the 5V and 12V are regulated together, then averaged out. this is not good for a modern PC), and is well, well past its warranty period. Please don't use it, OP.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

but if it seems to fit normally. it should be okey. 

No, it most likely is very bad for the long term health of that card. The PSU is the last thing you want to say "it should be okey" to, it can blow up your whole system if something has gone wrong.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

did say "depends on the quality of it", but I guess more could be said or explained better. And yes, did sound like a very mediocre or lower tier unit.

but about "should", gonna change that. also to the OP there are some threads for PSU tier lists.

21 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

I'll do so. 

Thanks! I didn't know just how outdated the PSU was and am glad i got a new one. Into the trash with this one!

It is complicated.

Old PSU may be obsolete in terms of current ripple, voltage stability, and of course, power draw spike. It still can power up your system just fine, but the voltage stability and current ripple may create stress to your components.

If you have access to PSU tester (such as the big one found in Gamer Nexus Gigabyte PSU video where they can simulate load to the PSU), you can send your old PSU in for evaluation and see if your PSU still cut for modern technology.

There's another way to test the PSU with the help of HWiNFO software. You can check the voltages reported by your motherboard using the software to see if the PSU can provide stable power to your system. This is a little bit risky as the PSU may send abnormal power to your components and may destroy them, but you can still determine if your old PSU is still good that way. Though there's a high chances your system may trip the OCP of the old PSU because of current draw spike.

I have an old 400W PSU (13 years old, Pentium 4 non-HT era, so 12V output is just about 280W max) and I'm using it in one of my low-end PC and it still works fine. The low end PC has Intel Core i5 10400 and B460 chipset. Since the the whole system just use about 180W maximum, so that old PSU still works great, albeit it only has 20-pin ATX power with 4-pin CPU (Of course modern system don't use -12V power so I cut off the cable from the connector just to be safe). It can game a little, even play PSX/PS1 games through emulator without issue. Still alive and kicking. However, I'm not sure how long it'll last.

In conclusion then. It is risky, but it may turn out fine. The problem is whether you want to gamble on it and if you have time and resources to test it. It may work flawlessly, or it may freak out and die.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

6 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

and it still works fine

You think. Have you measured the ripple?

6 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

You can check the voltages reported by your motherboard using the software to see if the PSU can provide stable power to your system.

Uh, this is by no means a good method to see whether the PSU is functional.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

36 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

You think. Have you measured the ripple?

No. I don't have a device capable of measuring ripples.

18 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Uh, this is by no means a good method to see whether the PSU is functional.

Indeed, but it's not like I have a lab with PSU tester like Gamer Nexus. The only thing I have is a cheap digital multimeter and my PC.

Anyway, I'm sure right now I put a strain on my components, but well, it's a cheap system so I don't really care much. It will mostly handle office work and e-mails.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.