$175 and $200 for 2 used GTX 970’s

HesCalledTheStig

I just bought 2 used GTX 970’s off eBay. Both were listed for $200 but I was able to do a best offer on one and get it for $175. Are these decent prices for used 970’s given the market right now?  Also, does anyone have any experience with eBay items?  I haven’t bought from there in years. I made sure both sellers had 100% feedback and the listing a said money back through eBay buyer protection. I hope this wasn’t a horrible decision but my kids needed cards for their new gaming rig builds I’m doing for them for Christmas. They are using 750ti’s right now. 

The market is rought, I have seen GTX 970 cards go for $300 though so it could be much worse.

As for used cards from eBay, I have had excellent luck, especially with domestic sellers. Currently using a used GPU in my rig and I trust them a lot.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The market is rought, I have seen GTX 970 cards go for $300 though so it could be much worse.

As for used cards from eBay, I have had excellent luck, especially with domestic sellers. Currently using a used GPU in my rig and I trust them a lot.

I’ve been leery about used stuff after being burned a couple times locally from the Facebook marketplace. But, it was either eBay or a couple of GT 1030’s off Amazon for about the same price. I did make sure to message both sellers and do a bit of a back and forth to get a feel for whether or not they were going to rip me off. They both seemed like stand up sellers. Both at 100%,, even though one only had 4 sales so far. I had to do something. The kids 750ti’s were starting to lag playing Minecraft. And god forbid they can’t play Minecraft or Genshin Impact!  At least it’s not Fortnight. 😁

7 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I’ve been leery about used stuff after being burned a couple times locally from the Facebook marketplace. But, it was either eBay or a couple of GT 1030’s off Amazon for about the same price. I did make sure to message both sellers and do a bit of a back and forth to get a feel for whether or not they were going to rip me off. They both seemed like stand up sellers. Both at 100%,, even though one only had 4 sales so far. I had to do something. The kids 750ti’s were starting to lag playing Minecraft. And god forbid they can’t play Minecraft or Genshin Impact!  At least it’s not Fortnight. 😁

That's the one problem with buying things, especially electronics on Facebook Marketplace. I usually check the seller's profile page to see when their account was created as some that are a couple days old or months I'm leery/suspicious of to see it as a scam. I purchased a RX 480 8GB on eBay last year for $120 and works great in my Mac Pro.  

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's the one problem with buying things, especially electronics on Facebook Marketplace. I usually check the seller's profile page to see when their account was created as some that are a couple days old or months I'm leery/suspicious of to see it as a scam. I purchased a RX 480 8GB on eBay last year for $120 and works great in my Mac Pro.  

I think eBay will have my back if I get a brick too. A lot of people have told me that even if the seller “doesn’t accept returns”, eBay will take care of me if I get a broken card. Keeping my fingers crossed as this is my first venture into eBay in probably 10 years. I actually stopped using eBay when I sold a PSU that he buyer claims was DOA (even though it was new in the package and still plastic wrapped) and eBay immediately gave him is $$ back. Never did see the PSU again though. 

4 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I think eBay will have my back if I get a brick too. A lot of people have told me that even if the seller “doesn’t accept returns”, eBay will take care of me if I get a broken card. Keeping my fingers crossed as this is my first venture into eBay in probably 10 years. I actually stopped using eBay when I sold a PSU that he buyer claims was DOA (even though it was new in the package and still plastic wrapped) and eBay immediately gave him is $$ back. Never did see the PSU again though. 

Yeah, eBay has their Money Back Guarantee so they should help cover you, as a buyer, from any deceptive practices the seller is trying to throw on you. 

Although, I'll sell things on FB with cash in mind to protect myself and save the worry of the buyer saying it's dead to say Paypal/eBay and give them their money back and I'm out of the item. Only thing is hopefully the cash is real haha. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yeah, eBay has their Money Back Guarantee so they should help cover you, as a buyer, from any deceptive practices the seller is trying to throw on you. 

Although, I'll sell things on FB with cash in mind to protect myself and save the worry of the buyer saying it's dead to say Paypal/eBay and give them their money back and I'm out of the item. Only thing is hopefully the cash is real haha. 

I figure if all else fails, I can do a charge back on my credit card if I totally get screwed.  

my second concern is that the 970 is going to be powerful enough for any future games they may want to play. $200 per card was a stretch given the budget I had. Keeping my fingers crossed that GPU prices will stabilize in the next year and I can get them something better, preferably new and with a warranty. 

1 minute ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I figure if all else fails, I can do a charge back on my credit card if I totally get screwed.  

my second concern is that the 970 is going to be powerful enough for any future games they may want to play. $200 per card was a stretch given the budget I had. Keeping my fingers crossed that GPU prices will stabilize in the next year and I can get them something better, preferably new and with a warranty. 

Oh for sure, you can do that if the card is defective or breaks within that time period. 

Yeah, the GTX 970 was a great card back in it's day when it came out, so it should be good for games that were released at the time it came out and some future games as well, although, they may prove to be too demanding. Keeping those fingers crossed for the GPU situation to improve. I would have said to check out Micro Center but I believe they are all located near NYC for you, and that's a far trip!! 

6 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Oh for sure, you can do that if the card is defective or breaks within that time period. 

Yeah, the GTX 970 was a great card back in it's day when it came out, so it should be good for games that were released at the time it came out and some future games as well, although, they may prove to be too demanding. Keeping those fingers crossed for the GPU situation to improve. I would have said to check out Micro Center but I believe they are all located near NYC for you, and that's a far trip!! 

I didn’t even realize there was a Micro Center in NYS. As much as I travel, it might actually be worth the trip for me. I’m in the city quite a lot. 

3 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I didn’t even realize there was a Micro Center in NYS. As much as I travel, it might actually be worth the trip for me. I’m in the city quite a lot. 

Then it may be perfect for you! One thing to keep in mind is graphics cards there (if any in stock) will be at their MSRP of the manufacturer, especially true for aftermarket cards with custom coolers and core clocks. For example, a RX 6900XT is $999.99 MSRP for the founder's edition (or whatever you want to call AMD's design), but an aftermarket was MSRP of $1,599.99, same as what ASUS sells it at on their storefront. 

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Then it may be perfect for you! One thing to keep in mind is graphics cards there (if any in stock) will be at their MSRP of the manufacturer, especially true for aftermarket cards with custom coolers and core clocks. For example, a RX 6900XT is $999.99 MSRP for the founder's edition (or whatever you want to call AMD's design), but an aftermarket was MSRP of $1,599.99, same as what ASUS sells it at on their storefront. 

Yeah, I don’t see myself buying a “New” gpu anytime soon. Lol