New gaming server build

Dabaers

Well hello again,

I am in the market of creating a new server as my current one isn’t doing everything I want, I have a list of parts I am thinking of and tasks that I want to complete. If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate it!

Task list / programs which I need

proxmox ve

-x2 windows gaming vm (would most likely use hyper v to create vm inside vm to simplify pci pass through)

-pfsense 

-truenas

-Plex 

-blueiris (Windows vm)

-x2-3 general purpose vms (Ubuntu and windows)

Hardware list

1920x or 1950x tr

x399 msi or Asus board

Intel i350 or i250 nicx4 port

64 gb 2133 MHz ecc ram (4 slots will be left for future expansion)

rosewill rsv case most like the 4000 or 4500

potentially pci sata card or sas card

there is more infrastructure behind the scenes here such as switch’s, nucs and drives but does anyone see why this wouldn’t work or potential limitation?

as always thank you for the help!

11 minutes ago, Dabaers said:

1920x or 1950x tr

Garbage

Just go for a 32 core epyc 7551/7571 and use a server board, you can overclock with some f ing around with bios and having agesa 1.0.0.3 or older if you care about oc

Though zen and zen+ just suck balls in general so consider an epyc rome cpu or just go for a 5900/5950x

12 minutes ago, Dabaers said:

proxmox ve

-x2 windows gaming vm (would most likely use hyper v to create vm inside vm to simplify pci pass through)

Hyper-v and proxmox won't really mix here. You kinda gotta pick one hypervisor

12 minutes ago, Dabaers said:

truenas

Since proxmox already has zfs, id let that main raid, and just get a simple container with sambe for this use

13 minutes ago, Dabaers said:

Just one gpu?

If you want to have multiple gamers with one gpu, you can't really use passthough, Id probably just use aster and have both users using the same os. Make windows the hypervisor if you want it simpler to setup.

14 minutes ago, Dabaers said:

-pfsense 

Id keep your router seperate. Makes it much easier to troubleshoot, and a good router is pretty cheap.

1 hour ago, Dabaers said:

Well hello again,

I am in the market of creating a new server as my current one isn’t doing everything I want, I have a list of parts I am thinking of and tasks that I want to complete. If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate it!

Task list / programs which I need

proxmox ve

-pfsense 

-truenas

-Plex 

-blueiris (Windows vm)

-x2-3 general purpose vms (Ubuntu and windows)

Hardware list

1920x or 1950x tr

x399 msi or Asus board

Intel i350 or i250 nicx4 port

64 gb 2133 MHz ecc ram (4 slots will be left for future expansion)

rosewill rsv case most like the 4000 or 4500

potentially pci sata card or sas card

there is more infrastructure behind the scenes here such as switch’s, nucs and drives but does anyone see why this wouldn’t work or potential limitation?

as always thank you for the help!

First gen threadripper is TERRIBLE. Like my 2700x already beats the shit out of it. Just get a regular old ryzen 5950 or even 5900x those things OBLITERATE first gen threadripper and don't have the myriad of issues they have that will never be fixed.

Ram is far too slow for ryzen you will be losing A LOT of performance there and ecc here is not at all needed.

Basically this server you are wanting to build sucks and is littered with issues that are bound to the platform you chose that are dealbreakers.

For your usecase:

• Gaming: You basically NEED 8 threads for games nowadays so 2 vms would eat up 16 threads. You also NEED a gpu for each gaming vm as a passthrough and then a 3rd card to run all the other vms.
  • Pfsense: runs on a potato
  • Truenas: Needs a fair bit of ram depending on storage
  • Plex: Again needs a gpu to transcode stuff as cpu transcoding is rough but doable. However you'll have little cpu left with just a 16 core at this point
  • Blueiris: takes either a fair bit of cpu power or gpu hardware acceleration which isn't possible without passing a gpu through so a 4th card would be needed at this point
  • General vms: Yeah you are out of threads by this point

Also you can only have one hypervisor at a time running multiple is asking for a bad time.

I suppose that first gen Threadripper stuff is luring you in because it's cheap? It's cheap for a good reason and that reason is that it is a truely bad product that was not finished at all and basically a proof of concept. Also horrific gaming cpu's.

So basically you need other hardware, MORE power, more gpu's and honestly I'd just use a server that does the gaming and another that does everything else.

Do keep in mind that vm gaming is A PAIN to keep going because the slightest windows update, driver update, config change,... can wreck the whole functionality. It has always bee a proof of concept thing daily usage for it is just not something that is done because it requires a lot of maintenance.

I'd just get a server that does all the tasks you need part from gaming. Then just build a nice gaming pc or 2. BUT avoid 1st gen Threadripper it's bad.