Question about dual boot.

Blade_792

Hi, i wanted to know what real benefit i have if i were to install a linux distro togheter with windows.

I mainly play videogames but often (i study informatic tecnology) i write programs, mainly python, using visual studio as IDE.

I didn't found much on that just that i would be able to use linux if i want to (and not on a VM, that is how i actually use it).

I don't have a powerful enough CPU on my computer to support a VM (I tried WSL too). So I use dual boot also it is much easier to use overall (hard to backup data) when you get to chose OS on boot. Also you get to run it mostly on a bare metal( real hardware) and so you get to test everything out like graphics, the CPU and everything els

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Rakshit Jain

45 minutes ago, RkJain said:

I don't have a powerful enough CPU on my computer to support a VM (I tried WSL too). So I use dual boot also it is much easier to use overall (hard to backup data) when you get to chose OS on boot. Also you get to run it mostly on a bare metal( real hardware) and so you get to test everything out like graphics, the CPU and everything els

Thats the point, my pc is powerfull enough to run about 3 or 4 VM at the same time (tried while testing programm for a project) and right now i am not doing much other than gaming that, for the moment at least, is better on windows so i don't know what other advantage i get.

Even because with a VM i can test some networking programm if i will write those again.

Starting Linux in a VM inside Windows is just that. A VM inside Windows. 

I run a VM with Windows inside Linux on my office Machine, which works fine there. 

At home, I want to be able to max out the PC performance while gaming, so I run Windows on bare metal with a dual boot system. 

If your machine is powerful enough and you can afford to lose some performance to the virtual machine, you can basically choose the OS you like best and put the other into the VM.