Audio config for gaming/music/movies

WhiteSkyMage

Hey guys,

I have already planned my gaming rig build for this year, however planning out my Audio is a little tricky.

I have chosen Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Speakers  and Logitech G930 wireless surround sound gaming headset.

Do you think I will need a sound card for the speakers or I can just plug them on the back of my MB (which would be one of the ROG ones)? The headset is with USB...I just see its rated high so that's why I chose it.

Suggest other surround sound speakers and headsets/headphones which will be good for gaming. Please no Razer stuff :D

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

It's just a 3.5mm jack for the speakers. No sound card needed.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Hey guys,

I have already planned my gaming rig build for this year, however planning out my Audio is a little tricky.

I have chosen Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Speakers  and Logitech G930 wireless surround sound gaming headset.

Do you think I will need a sound card for the speakers or I can just plug them on the back of my MB (which would be one of the ROG ones)? The headset is with USB...I just see its rated high so that's why I chose it.

Suggest other surround sound speakers and headsets/headphones which will be good for gaming. Please no Razer stuff :D

I personally own the Z506 and I think on board is ok. :)

I currently have a z68 Fatal1ty board from asrock and it can drive those things pretty well. I bought a SB recon 3D champ cause I though it would improve sound but I just heard a change on the loudness and not the quality of anything. THEN i switched to a Phoebus when was a waste of money on my end. 

Overall I wouldn't recommend you getting a sound card for the Z509 especially if you have a ROG board. :)

Ironically I love RAZER STUFF. :)) PS Razer doesnt not have a surround speaker solution

EDIT: Also since you are willing to invest in a sound card why not put it to a better system like the Z906 or an ATH-m50 for your headset? :P 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

I personally own the Z506 and I think on board is ok. :)

I currently have a z68 Fatal1ty board from asrock and it can drive those things pretty well. I bought a SB recon 3D champ cause I though it would improve sound but I just heard a change on the loudness and not the quality of anything. THEN i switched to a Phoebus when was a waste of money on my end. 

Overall I wouldn't recommend you getting a sound card for the Z509 especially if you have a ROG board. :)

Ironically I love RAZER STUFF. :)) PS Razer doesnt not have a surround speaker solution

EDIT: Also since you are willing to invest in a sound card why not put it to a better system like the Z906 or an ATH-m50 for your headset? :P 

Well, those two are just going too expensive... I was just wondering if I get a better sound quality on the ones I've chosen with sound card or not...i mean is it worth...

I also hear the wireless headsets like the Logitech G930, can't reach a quality of a headphones...so some people say that to buy headphones and a cheap microphone is better choice. So is there a big difference? Does a headphone do better at gaming than a headset like G930?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Well, those two are just going too expensive... I was just wondering if I get a better sound quality on the ones I've chosen with sound card or not...i mean is it worth...

I also hear the wireless headsets like the Logitech G930, can't reach a quality of a headphones...so some people say that to buy headphones and a cheap microphone is better choice. So is there a big difference? Does a headphone do better at gaming than a headset like G930?

I did say "OR" =)) 

IN gaming scenarios better headsets wont really matter unless the game supports a higher bitrate of sound. However wireless headsets may provide a suitable gaming experience but dont expect then to be spectacular as the sound is downsampled then compressed in order to be transmitted to the BT on the wireless headset. :) 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

I did say "OR" =)) 

IN gaming scenarios better headsets wont really matter unless the game supports a higher bitrate of sound. However wireless headsets may provide a suitable gaming experience but dont expect then to be spectacular as the sound is downsampled then compressed in order to be transmitted to the BT on the wireless headset. :)

Well it's for the games where I see in "recommended system requirements" a 5.1 soundcard of some sort... The thing is that if I get a wired headset, then I would definitely need a soundcard since my speakers will be plugged in the onboard audio...so i tried to escape from that and solve it with an USB. 

Well it's for the games where I see in "recommended system requirements" a 5.1 soundcard of some sort... The thing is that if I get a wired headset, then I would definitely need a soundcard since my speakers will be plugged in the onboard audio...so i tried to escape from that and solve it with an USB.

There are pretty good USB headsets in the market or better yet get a fiio e10 or a USB DAC from may flower electronics for your headset rather than a USB headset.

There are pretty good USB headsets in the market or better yet get a fiio e10 or a USB DAC from may flower electronics for your headset rather than a USB headset.

Yeah I was looking at those Corsair Vengeance and Raptor but people really didn't rate them that highly...

Anyway, what good headset goes good with that DAC? 

Yeah I was looking at those Corsair Vengeance and Raptor but people really didn't rate them that highly...

Anyway, what good headset goes good with that DAC?

Budget?

Budget?

Well, kinda low there - $100 for a headset. Gonna be shopping on Black Friday anyways so....

Well, kinda low there - $100 for a headset

And for the DAC?

And for the DAC?

not sure to buy it but let's say what's the cheapest one...sorry I am not investing that big into sound anyways...I just want a good surround sound when 3D gaming....so yeah.

not sure to buy it but let's say what's the cheapest one...sorry I am not investing that big into sound anyways...I just want a good surround sound when 3D gaming....so yeah.

I'm mobile and I was looking through the amazon app. Try searching for the ATHM50 pro. I saw some going for $130

I would be probably fine with those $100 speakers and headsets from Logitech, they are not the best but they are at least highly rated to work good for home gaming.. I will give a search ty very much :) I will see what they sell at a worth price on Black Friday, probably until then there will be more of those...There is still much to wait until then.

I'm mobile and I was looking through the amazon app. Try searching for the ATHM50 pro. I saw some going for $130

Just to ask you about one last thing - Are those good for "surround sound" gaming (ATHM50 pro)?

Surround is all hype man. As someone who owns a Tiamat, a z506, chimaera and as a previous user of razer surround. It's all hype...

Just to ask you about one last thing - Are those good for "surround sound" gaming (ATHM50 pro)?

No they aren't. The M50s are famous for a small soundstage.

For surround, you can use a software implementation like Razer surround.

I'd get headphones like the Audiotechnica AD700X.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Surround is all hype man. As someone who owns a Tiamat, a z506, chimaera and as a previous user of razer surround. It's all hype...

No they aren't. The M50s are famous for a small soundstage.

For surround, you can use a software implementation like Razer surround.

I'd get headphones like the Audiotechnica AD700X.

I tell you what guys,

Linus made a review of those ATH-ADG1 and ATH-G1 showcased in CES 2014, and since I found out that those AD700 and AD700X were very popular for competitive gaming, those two headphones at CES 2014 are actually based on them, but come with a good microphone (so I do not need to mod a mic on the AD700s like people did before) as well as have some improvements in Bass, which makes them good for EVERYTHING. I don't have more to say, I will wait Black Friday and get them! They are worth every penny!

Now i think it would be good if I get a sound card for them, so that I can have my speakers on my onboard audio, or maybe I can do the opposite, not really sure but it would be a wise choice to... So yup, suggest me a good sound card (if you could give links to amazon, that would be more helpful) and last thing are good speakers...

I am just curious however, do you think speakers with surround sound 5.1 like the logitech Z506 would be good for music and movies or should i get other not 5.1 PC-speakers but like those M-Audio AV40?

2.0 headphones > 4.0/5.1/7.1 headphones.  Every. Single. Time.

I own the G930 and upgraded BACK to a 2.0 set up.  Worth it.  Since then I've invested in a good dac/amp and decent headphones and it is utter bliss in comparison.

I tell you what guys,

Linus made a review of those ATH-ADG1 and ATH-G1 showcased in CES 2014, and since I found out that those AD700 and AD700X were very popular for competitive gaming, those two headphones at CES 2014 are actually based on them, but come with a good microphone (so I do not need to mod a mic on the AD700s like people did before) as well as have some improvements in Bass, which makes them good for EVERYTHING. I don't have more to say, I will wait Black Friday and get them! They are worth every penny!

Now i think it would be good if I get a sound card for them, so that I can have my speakers on my onboard audio, or maybe I can do the opposite, not really sure but it would be a wise choice to... So yup, suggest me a good sound card (if you could give links to amazon, that would be more helpful) and last thing are good speakers...

I am just curious however, do you think speakers with surround sound 5.1 like the logitech Z506 would be good for music and movies or should i get other not 5.1 PC-speakers but like those M-Audio AV40?

I'd say the ADG1 is insanely overpriced. It's $320 while the AD700x is only $115 (on amazon). Just say the mic is uber-high quality and worth their price, well do you really need all that quality mic? High quality mics are usually used for commercial recording, like making a tutorial video, singing, and stuffs. For gaming or skype, you'd only need a decent PC mic, and you can get that for under $40

I'd say the ADG1 is insanely overpriced. It's $320 while the AD700x is only $115 (on amazon). Just say the mic is uber-high quality and worth their price, well do you really need all that quality mic? High quality mics are usually used for commercial recording, like making a tutorial video, singing, and stuffs. For gaming or skype, you'd only need a decent PC mic, and you can get that for under $40

I understand. Let go - it's still new, it has just been released, it hasn't even reached a lot of retailers/online shops yet in the US. Read some reviews about it, but I can assure you, this set will not stay at $320! If you don't wanna pay a fortune, just wait, the price will drop, maybe not very soon but at least i would expect it cheaper by X-mas this year. I am alright waiting, if that's what you are concerned for me about.

I understand. Let go - it's still new, it has just been released, it hasn't even reached a lot of retailers/online shops yet in the US. Read some reviews about it, but I can assure you, this set will not stay at $320! If you don't wanna pay a fortune, just wait, the price will drop, maybe not very soon but at least i would expect it cheaper by X-mas this year. I am alright waiting, if that's what you are concerned for me about.

Ok stop right there. I hate the misinformation in this forum. Gaming headsets sound terrible in comparison to real headphones from a real audio company especially for music. It will not be as noticeable in games but still noticeable. The bitrate does not matter at all. If your budget is $100 then I recommend the Pioneer SE-A1000 ($55) or Sennheiser 518 ($79 on Amazon normally $120) for open, and CHC Silverados for closed ($79 on Amazon, normally $200). For the mic, You can get a Zalman clip on or if you are willing to stretch your budget a bit, modmic or blue snowflake/snowball. 

Edit: and I doubt that price will go down. If you must get a headset, look into Sennheiser PC360 Amazon warehouse deals but that is higher than your budget. 

Edit2: A sound card will be a waste of money. You don't need one. 

Ok stop right there. I hate the misinformation in this forum. Gaming headsets sound terrible in comparison to real headphones from a real audio company especially for music. It will not be as noticeable in games but still noticeable. The bitrate does not matter at all. If your budget is $100 then I recommend the Pioneer SE-A1000 ($55) or Sennheiser 518 ($79 on Amazon normally $120) for open, and CHC Silverados for closed ($79 on Amazon, normally $200). For the mic, You can get a Zalman clip on or if you are willing to stretch your budget a bit, modmic or blue snowflake/snowball. 

Edit: and I doubt that price will go down. If you must get a headset, look into Sennheiser PC360 Amazon warehouse deals but that is higher than your budget. 

Edit2: A sound card will be a waste of money. You don't need one. 

Ummm, he was talking about ADG1, headset from audio technica. Basically an AD700x plugged with a mic. AD700x should sound quite decent...

Funny thing about audio technica's products is their price fluctuates a lot. My AD700 (the one on my avatar) was around $80 last year, but I got it at around $100 about 2 weeks ago. Last week it's $159 on amazon, but yesterday I checked, it's $180 on amazon. People say the M50 should be around $80 too, but now it's $134 on amazon. Maybe the classic demand-supply.

Ummm, he was talking about ADG1, headset from audio technica. Basically an AD700x plugged with a mic. AD700x should sound quite decent...

The first part was me referring to whoever mentioned the bitrate in games or w/e. ADG1 is still terrible because it is overpriced for what it is.