new freenas build

looking to build a freenas for my media collection wondering if this would be a good build was thinking that or using a pentium duel core 2.5ghz with 16gb ram ddr3 extra i got laying around

post-19588-0-38612000-1397203761_thumb.j

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

Cool build!

What raid will you be running?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

will kabini be powerfull enough for zfs?

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

If I recall correctly you cannot use a RAID card if you want to use ZFS. I don't know if you want to, but judging by the massive amount of memory I would guess you want to.

I would buy a 2x8 kit of ram insteead of two separate sticks, for compatibility reasons.

I would buy a 2x8 kit of ram insteead of two separate sticks, for compatibility reasons.

as long they are the same model, speed and CAS 

they will function as dual channel

maybe the kit is more expensive so buying them 1 by 1 is cheaper option

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

its not a ture raid card it uses softraid its basicly a sata controler on a pci-e interfaces will work with freenas and zfs. i was told zfs is kind of cpu intensive thats the part that worries me . and yeah the 2 8gb sticks slightly cheaper then a 16gb kit.

as long they are the same model, speed and CAS 

they will function as dual channel

maybe the kit is more expensive so buying them 1 by 1 is cheaper option

In many cases, especially with more exotic variants (unique or fast etc) some sticks will simply not work even if they are identical in appearance. something to consider.

Ive never had issues mix and matching been doing it sence my first pc of my own running pc100

Aren't 4TB HDD less reliable than 2x 2TB??, Also i would trust Corsair more than Thermaltake for the psu.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Aren't 4TB HDD less reliable than 2x 2TB??, Also i would trust Corsair more than Thermaltake for the psu.

ive had a 4tb drive in mny main rig for over a year now going solid. and out of the 6 thermaltake tr2's ive used 500 and 600w only 1 has died and was from folding 24/7 for over a year