Pop OS or Xubuntu?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
4 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

For Pop OS, do you recommend the standard (21.04) or LTS (20.04)?

I'd probably go with 21.10 (should be out already?) to get more current packages. The LTS might be more stable, but will have (slightly) older versions of things. If you prefer stability go with the LTS and update once the next LTS is out, should be 22.04.

I'm making a Dual Boot system, but I can't decide which Linux OS to use. Both Os'es are good and their setups are the same, including setting up the partitions for them both, but I can't decide which one will give me the most bang for the buck (and yes I know they are both free, that was a figure of speech).

So, Suggestions?

That's down to personal preference I'd say. Both are based on Ubuntu, so it's no surprise their setup and package management is very similar. Xubuntu uses Xfce, which is supposed to be a bit more lightweight than Gnome used by Pop OS, but you're not likely to notice on a modern PC. You can also install either Desktop Environment (DE) on either OS, so you could use Pop OS with Xfce, if you prefer.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's down to personal preference I'd say. Both are based on Ubuntu, so it's no surprise their setup and package management is very similar. Xubuntu uses Xfce, which is supposed to be a bit more lightweight than Gnome used by Pop OS, but you're not likely to notice on a modern PC. You can also install either Desktop Environment (DE) on either OS, so you could use Pop OS with Xfce, if you prefer.

I'd probably go Pop_OS! since it's usually more up to date than Ubuntu, plus the Ubuntu team has made some weird choices in the recent months (Firefox as a snap for example). That said, they'd both do great for a dual booted system. 

Full disclosure, the Distros I'm currently running are Fedora and Arch, so I like stuff more up to date. 

3 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

For desktop use, the more up to date release is probably the way to go, with the LTS being more for when you want the system to run for a few years without doing more than security updates, as well as being rock solid stable.  

4 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

I'd probably go with 21.10 (should be out already?) to get more current packages. The LTS might be more stable, but will have (slightly) older versions of things. If you prefer stability go with the LTS and update once the next LTS is out, should be 22.04.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, GodOfKnockers said:

I'm making a Dual Boot system, but I can't decide which Linux OS to use. Both Os'es are good and their setups are the same, including setting up the partitions for them both, but I can't decide which one will give me the most bang for the buck (and yes I know they are both free, that was a figure of speech).

So, Suggestions?

pop-os has desktop animations and more bells and whistles out of the box.

xubuntu "just works"

personally I'd use xubuntu though I've grown an appreciation for the mate desktop lately.