Random restarts after GPU upgrade

FollowTheLaser

I have recently been experiencing apparently random restarts - approximately once a day - when using my PC after upgrading from an RX 470 to a second hand GTX 980. It has only happened a couple of times, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again and is not indicative of a larger problem. I'm using the latest GPU drivers, and according to several PSU calculators my system is well within the rating of my PSU. I have observed no unusual thermals and the system was not under heavy load when the restarts occurred.

Obligatory stuff:

Specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 980 - specific model unknown
  • PSU: Corsair CX500M 500W
  • MoBo: MSI B450m Mortar MAX
  • Storage: 128GB SATA SSD, 2x 1TB SATA HDD

I'm pretty sure that I have the latest BIOS, and the software running when crashes occur has been different each time. The restart is a sudden cut of power to the system followed by a reboot. This started recently - the first crash was a few days ago, but I fitted the GPU a little under two weeks ago.

I'm at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions?

Use DDU--Display Driver Uninstaller--and uninstall the old Radeon drivers. It might be causing a conflict.

My only other guess is the PSU. The 980 is more demanding than the 470, so upgrading may have caused you to more easily trigger shutdowns because of the increased power draw.

15 minutes ago, Boomy Beatle said:

Use DDU--Display Driver Uninstaller--and uninstall the old Radeon drivers. It might be causing a conflict.

My only other guess is the PSU. The 980 is more demanding than the 470, so upgrading may have caused you to more easily trigger shutdowns because of the increased power draw.

I've just uninstalled all Radeon drivers with DDU - will monitor the situation and see if it's done the trick.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, FollowTheLaser said:

I've just uninstalled all Radeon drivers with DDU - will monitor the situation and see if it's done the trick.

I've just had another shut down - driver conflicts were not the problem. I suspect it's either the PSU on the way out, or the fact that the PC is plugged into an extension lead - not my choice, nothing I could really do to avoid having to do it. Either way, the situation is not good.