Bizarre GPU utilisation problem.

Lhukov

Hi Guys, 

Just have a strange tech issue that my google-fu has been unable to solve and I'm wondering if anyone here can work out what is going wrong. 

I use a triple monitor set up, two of my screens are part of a super ultra wide Samsung C49RG9X running at 2 x 2560x1440p 100hz picture in picture. My third monitor up until yesterday had been a basic 1080p/60hz display however I decided I wanted the smaller monitor to be my main gaming display. I've replaced the 1080 display for a AOC Agon AG273QG3R3B 27" 1440p display running at 170hz. 

My system runs a 5900x, 3070 with 32 GB of 3200 Mhz ram and typically runs Apex around 140fps, Battlefield 5 140fps, Total Warhammer 2 around 80 however since getting this monitor those games are now running at 20fps each while GPU utilisation is typically sitting around 20%. 

Strangely enough, if I run 3D Mark stress tests or Back 4 Blood the GPU utilisation shoots up to 100% and runs well which makes me think it's not a PSU issue. I have updated the latest Nvidia drivers so that has been taken care of. All three displays are running over display port connected directly to the GPU. Refresh rate in Windows shows as 170hz (AOC display) and appears to be running correctly. 

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance with this one, if I've left out any information you think is relevant please let me know. Apologies in advance if I am late to respond, I'm based in Australia and may be crashing for the night shortly. 

2 minutes ago, Lhukov said:

two of my screens are part of a super ultra wide Samsung C49RG9X running at 2 x 2560x1440p 100hz picture in picture

What in the three hells does that mean?
I also run 3 monitor setup, but what you say couldve been a foreign language...
Screens are part of? whaat? how?
Picture in picture? Please share this magic with us in some more detail. PLEASE!!!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

What in the three hells does that mean?
I also run 3 monitor setup, but what you say couldve been a foreign language...
Screens are part of? whaat? how?
Picture in picture? Please share this magic with us in some more detail. PLEASE!!!

Hey Mate, 

This is the Monitor here https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/monitors/25plus-inch/77502-lc49rg90ssexxy?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtrSLBhCLARIsACh6RmiBpz1Z6TGD90BJmmEPfUz62B_JpyasJ3umGPSM08WJePg9hB5M0dkaArcWEALw_wcB

The monitor itself is a 32:9 5120 x 1440 display that has a picture in picture option. Essentially you input two separate display ports and it divides the panel into two separate displays. This does reduce the refresh rate from 120hz to 100hz and disables HDR. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Lhukov
Provide more information

2 minutes ago, Lhukov said:

Hey Mate, 

This is the Monitor here https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/monitors/25plus-inch/77502-lc49rg90ssexxy?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtrSLBhCLARIsACh6RmiBpz1Z6TGD90BJmmEPfUz62B_JpyasJ3umGPSM08WJePg9hB5M0dkaArcWEALw_wcB

The monitor itself is a 32:9 5120 x 1440 display that has a picture in picture option. Essentially you input two separate display ports and it divides the panel into two separate displays. This does reduce the refresh rate from 120hz to 100hz and disables HDR. 

Thank you very much for explaining.
I still dont get the why, but its not up to me to ask. 😉

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

What programs are you using to tell you the GPU utilization? Bc I know for a fact that Xbox Game Bar performance overlay seriously misreports GPU usage depending on what background tasks are running, and task manager isnt much better. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

51 minutes ago, Lhukov said:

Hi Guys, 

Just have a strange tech issue that my google-fu has been unable to solve and I'm wondering if anyone here can work out what is going wrong. 

I use a triple monitor set up, two of my screens are part of a super ultra wide Samsung C49RG9X running at 2 x 2560x1440p 100hz picture in picture. My third monitor up until yesterday had been a basic 1080p/60hz display however I decided I wanted the smaller monitor to be my main gaming display. I've replaced the 1080 display for a AOC Agon AG273QG3R3B 27" 1440p display running at 170hz. 

My system runs a 5900x, 3070 with 32 GB of 3200 Mhz ram and typically runs Apex around 140fps, Battlefield 5 140fps, Total Warhammer 2 around 80 however since getting this monitor those games are now running at 20fps each while GPU utilisation is typically sitting around 20%. 

Strangely enough, if I run 3D Mark stress tests or Back 4 Blood the GPU utilisation shoots up to 100% and runs well which makes me think it's not a PSU issue. I have updated the latest Nvidia drivers so that has been taken care of. All three displays are running over display port connected directly to the GPU. Refresh rate in Windows shows as 170hz (AOC display) and appears to be running correctly. 

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance with this one, if I've left out any information you think is relevant please let me know. Apologies in advance if I am late to respond, I'm based in Australia and may be crashing for the night shortly. 

This sounds like a G-Sync issue I had about 4y ago when I got my first 165Hz G-Sync monitor...

If that's the case, to fix that you need to:

- go to Windows Control Panel

- go to Power Options

- on the left side click "Choose what the power buttons do"

image.thumb.png.44e3f09b223e3be8d12278c40a4dfcc2.png

- then click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

- then UNCHECK "Turn on fast startup"

image.thumb.png.0726361350f5760e55518f11085d7dfd.png

- RESTART PC or it wont do anything

I hope this helps, worked for me for years.

17 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

What programs are you using to tell you the GPU utilization? Bc I know for a fact that Xbox Game Bar performance overlay seriously misreports GPU usage depending on what background tasks are running, and task manager isnt much better. 

Hey Mate, 

I'm using HWMonitor to track GPU utilisation, power usage etc. 

Beyond that I can see through origin's FPS tracker that Apex is running at below 20fps, and Steam's FPS tracker with regard to Warhammer. I'm not sure how to track FPS in Xbox App based games however Back 4 Blood us running buttery smooth. 

17 hours ago, WereCat said:

This sounds like a G-Sync issue I had about 4y ago when I got my first 165Hz G-Sync monitor...

If that's the case, to fix that you need to:

- go to Windows Control Panel

- go to Power Options

- on the left side click "Choose what the power buttons do"

image.thumb.png.44e3f09b223e3be8d12278c40a4dfcc2.png

- then click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

- then UNCHECK "Turn on fast startup"

image.thumb.png.0726361350f5760e55518f11085d7dfd.png

- RESTART PC or it wont do anything

I hope this helps, worked for me for years.

Hi Mate, 

Thanks for the suggestion, interesting that you mentioned G Sync as the new monitor does use it. I've switched off Fast Startup and then restarted it. No luck unfortunately. 

I am going to see what other options I can play with in regards to G sync. See if that turns up anything. 

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now fixed the damned problem!

Turns out it was Citrix which I need to use for work, that devil program had previously caused Kingdoms and Castles to fail, then it was updated which fixed that but caused Chrome to randomly shut down, next update fixed that problem but seemed to be responsible for my sudden dip in performance. I've uninstalled it for the time being and now everything is running superbly.