plex/videos on an ultrawide 3440x1440

tuunade98
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
4 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

so does this mean you just put up with the black bars? I currently use a 4k 32inch lg 32ud99 for plex but I would imagine it looking pretty dam good on my acer x34gs if i can get movies to fill up whole screen..

Yeah of course you need to put up with black bars. If the content isn't the aspect ratio of your monitor you will simply have black bars on the side or top and bottom.

You can as said zoom or stretch it but with the zoom you will loose most of the content you are watching and with the stretch everything will look horrible.

You can't magically make a 16:9 video 21:9 without losing something major.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering is it possible to get rid of the black bars when watching videos on the web and plex when using an ultrawide monitor? I got an acer x34gs ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor and would like to watch my movies on plex without the black bar on the sides. I know this is an aspect ratio issue but is there any way to fix this and make it full screen for a better immersive experience? I don't really want the zoomed in look either as it will lose some of the image..

You have two options, you stretch the image to fill the left and right OR you crop the top and bottom off and zoom in. Both of these options look terrible to me. 

watching a true widescreen film where it fills the screen naturally is the only true way to get what you’re looking for. 

I also own a 3440x1440 display and use plex. 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

You have two options, you stretch the image to fill the left and right OR you crop the top and bottom off and zoom in. Both of these options look terrible to me. 

watching a true widescreen film where it fills the screen naturally is the only true way to get what you’re looking for. 

I also own a 3440x1440 display and use plex. 

so does this mean you just put up with the black bars? I currently use a 4k 32inch lg 32ud99 for plex but I would imagine it looking pretty dam good on my acer x34gs if i can get movies to fill up whole screen..

4 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Yeah of course you need to put up with black bars. If the content isn't the aspect ratio of your monitor you will simply have black bars on the side or top and bottom.

You can as said zoom or stretch it but with the zoom you will loose most of the content you are watching and with the stretch everything will look horrible.

You can't magically make a 16:9 video 21:9 without losing something major.

1 hour ago, tuunade98 said:

Movies shot in that aspect ratio look great but 16:9 movies have black bars, no way around it.