Remote desktop with high refresh rate support - over LAN

Zmimgo
Go to solution Solved by Arika,

If the host machine has an NVidia GPU; Moonlight. It can do up to 120hz

Title says it all. I am looking for a remote desktop software with high refresh rate support (120Hz or higher), and I want it to be able to connect over a single ethernet cable between two computers - no internet connection.

And before you say Parsec, no, I tried it, Parsec uploads the remote desktop session to their server and then to the client. Although the computers are less than half a meter apart.

Usage? Thinking of getting the new MacBook releasing today (or tomorrow, depending on timezone), and I am planning to make a SFF PC where I also can game on. But I want to play where the hell I want, and without relying on public WiFi while I'm outside (no, won't game like that in a library). I was thinking capture card, but the latency and the 60Hz limit on most of them that don't cost an arm and a leg just isn't the best solution for me.

I am looking for freeware, preferably open-source. I have been using NoMachine (a great remote desktop software), but haven't found anything on the internet that indicates the refresh rate.

Thanks for your help!

If the host machine has an NVidia GPU; Moonlight. It can do up to 120hz

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

If the host machine has an NVidia GPU; Moonlight.

Thinking of 3060 (VRAM more important for rendering large scenes)

Just checking - does it support a direct connection via ethernet? Directly connecting an ethernet cable between two computers. 3 minutes of searching on Google haven't given me an answer yet

3 minutes ago, Zmimgo said:

Thinking of 3060 (VRAM more important for rendering large scenes)

Just checking - does it support a direct connection via ethernet? Directly connecting an ethernet cable between two computers. 3 minutes of searching on Google haven't given me an answer yet

No, most things wont since they need to have an IP assigned to them, so there will need to be a router somewhere in the mix. it doesn't require internet, just be on the same network.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

No, most things wont since they need to have an IP assigned to them, so there will need to be a router somewhere in the mix. it doesn't require internet, just be on the same network.

well if it doesn't need internet connection then yes you could connect the 2 pc directly using a crossover cable and manually setting up the ips or even a dumb switch will work and be less of an hassle .

all this just to say yeah it is possible to directly connect 2 pc's without internet , router or switch ..